Want Details on Texas A&M Chemical Engineering

How good is this program in comparison to UT Austin’s? I see the difference in US news rankings (UT is 4, A&M is 16) but what is the difference? Also, how does engineering work at A&M? I heard that everyone takes general engineering their first year and then specializes the next year. If that is the case does that mean I will go my first year at A&M without taking any chemistry classes?

No, of course, you take Chemistry your first year in engineering. It is required for upper level classes your sophomore year. You may apply for your specialty at the end of your first semester. Based upon this past year, the average GPA to be accepted into Chemical Engineering at the end of your first semester was a 3.7.

To be clear, all freshman engineering students take chemistry, unless they have AP credits.

@NETarrantMom Where did you find the statistic for the average GPA?

@zucaritas if you google entry-to-major Dwight Look school of Engineering there is a link that shows the spring 2015 statistics for each of the engineering majors.

Honestly, undergraduate rankings are stupid. UT vs. A&M academically will likely not be very different, in terms of the quality of experience. One consideration is whether or not you’d like to go into oil and gas industry after undergraduate., if this is so, A&M is definitely better. But, more important is the alignment of your specific interest with the respective department(Honestly, dont feel bad if you dont know yet, almost noone does even later in undergrad).

While I hate to say it, money may be one of the best ways to make this decision. Money isnt all important, but less debt brings more flexibility for college and for jobs. Additional factors may be the type of city, as Austin and College Station are very different.