Washington & Lee Early Decision for Fall 2024 Admission

1 Like

Looks like they updated the Profile:

Original:

Revised:

The labels are switched. Makes a bit more sense now.

1 Like

The application for the Johnson Scholarship automatically puts the student in consideration for all other merit scholarships. I completely get being burned out (D21 had a breakdown or three), but maybe he will consider it worth it knowing that one application works for multiple scholarships.

Good catch! I wondered about that original graphic.

1 Like

“ Supplemental materials to be reviewed with your application, including any submitted standardized test scores, optional essays”

What this says to me is that while they are TO, it sure is beneficial to provide test scores.

3 Likes

do they provide any merit aid other than the Johnson scholarship? Affordability is another concern of mine

I would guess your son would be in the running, but also like many similar schools it’s a reach. Only you and he can decide if he has it in him to apply to a reach.

Yes, there are other merit scholarships but I believe they are restricted to certain groups (from Texas, identifies as Jewish, eg). W&L does not need to discount tuition generally; like all other schools offering merit, they offer merit to attract students with attributes they really want.

They are generous with need based financial aid, and do not include loans in their packages.

If your son is an athlete then he will totally understand one of my favorite mantras: “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take”.

5 Likes

You may be aware, but there is a separate 800-word essay for the Johnson application. Not sure if that would be enough to dissuade your S.

There isn’t a bright line cut off though, and this is true of schools that look at the whole applicant. A kid that comes from a super rigorous boarding school may have a lower gpa than a kid from a mediocre public school. The average really doesn’t give you much info applicable to your student.

Do you have access to Naviance at your school? That would give a better picture of your son’s admissions chances.

2 Likes

yes, for my son’s large public school in California, there have only been 8 students in the last 8 years who have applied to W&L and doesn’t look like any of them were accepted

Yes. In addition to the Johnson Scholarship, W&L awards other full-tuition scholarships on the basis of geography or special interest on a rotating basis.

The special interest scholarships this year:

• African American Culture, History or Studies
  • Chemistry
  • Jewish Faith
  • Leadership and Service
  • National Merit Scholarship
  • Native American Culture and History
  • ROTC

Hope this helps. My D is a Johnson Scholar so I can answer questions about that process, with the caveat that it was in 2021 so under covid protocols.

ETA: As @cinnamon1212 mentioned, W&L offers generous need-based aid. See this link to the W&L Promise, which guarantees a minimum grant of full tuition to families earning under $125k.

3 Likes

Does anyone know what time of day ED decisions are released for W&L?

1 Like