Washington & Lee Early Decision for Fall 2024 Admission

This is the official thread for those applying ED to Washington & Lee University.

List your unweighted GPA, any SAT /ACT scores, and ECs. What majors are you going into?
Ask your questions, the CC community is here to help!

1 Like

[New Class Profile | Washington and Lee]

Class of 2027 profile

2 Likes

I found this graphic interesting. More than half of applicants submitted scores, but only 41% of the admitted students had scores.

1 Like

Based on that class profile, half of the admitted students were through RD.

S24 is going to attend their DIVE this weekend to get a feel of the school and is planning to apply RD. Only thing is that when he gets there it will be almost 5pm (had to change flight once). So thats almost missing half of a day.

Fingers crossed*

I hope he enjoys the weekend and look forward to reading your feedback.

The school recently posted an article emphasizing the continuing efforts to attract more diverse applicants and how the SC decision has impacted their approach to those goals. They acknowledged additional challenges but are unwavering in their commitment.

1 Like

The size of the 2027 class stood out to me; it is much larger than any class in recent years. I suspect they underestimated yield since they never pulled from the waitlist in May. They had to accommodate with overflow housing in an unused former frat house.

If I had a student applying for Fall 2024, I would ask about that. Will they target a smaller than typical class next year? Or do they have plans to return to the typical class size while accommodating the larger class of 2027?

2 Likes

That’s a great question, as I do have a D24 applying for next Fall.

1 Like

I applied as an ED applicant on 1 November.When will I get the mail with my applicant portal log in credentials?

is there early action or only Early Decision? If you apply regular decision are most of the spaces already full from the EC applicants?

1 Like

More than half the 2027 class was filled before Regular Decision time. They clearly value demonstrated interest and commitment in the ED rounds.

“273 Early Decision 1, Early Decision II and QuestBridge Offers. 226 Regular Decision, including 3 students on a gap year in 2022-23”

2 Likes

I presume you now have your portal access as those instructions are typically emailed within 1-2 days of application submission. Best of luck!

so what GPA and test scores are needed to be competitive at this point (for regular decision)? They don’t publish their average GPA and their test scores seem really skewed (really high but not that many submit). My son is very interested in this school but ED was not an option given how expensive it is and our feeling we need to evaluate all schools once merit $ comes in, etc. But he is exhausted at this point from writing so many admissions essays and he doesn’t want to apply to W&L unless he feels he would be competitive. The CDS for this school is really not helpful as they leave out so much important info

I see @MWCDSS answered your question. If you are applying for merit scholarships, reminder the deadline is December 1 even if you are applying RD.

1 Like

It might be more affordable than it looks. There are some great merit options at W&L like the Johnson scholarship, and there are a lot of additional scholarships for which you are automatically considered. I agree with @DramaMama2021 that you should apply by Dec. 1 and see what happens with merit scholarships. I can’t say how competitive your student would be, but I can say that the school seems to look also for geographical diversity, which might help. They also seem to value students with with leadership or other important extracurriculars.

2 Likes

I hear you but my son is burnt out on the application process and doesn’t want to write more essays. He’s had to write about 15 different ones already. With varsity sport and 5 AP classes this fall he’s just had enough. He looks at W&L and says “I’ll never get in anyway”. So my frustration is with how opaque they are about needed stats. What is the average GPA of admitted students? I can’t find it anywhere

for reference he has a 1400 SAT and a 3.83 unweighted and 4.13 weighted GPA (on 4.0 scale)

According to the 2022-2023 CDS, 81% was in the top 10% of their high school graduating class. That may give you some guidance as that considers your student’s GPA in context of their high school.

Here’s the CDS if you want to review the full reported profile. Interestingly, unlike most schools, GPA is “Considered” rather than “Very Important.”
https://my.wlu.edu/document/2022-common-data-set

ETA: My personal opinion is that his stats are competitive enough to make it worth applying, especially if he has strong ECs.

I totally get that. We’re at the same point at my house. That 1400 SAT is in line with accepted students pre-pandemic, when everyone was required to submit the score. But if there’s no interest in writing more essays, it may be tough. Did I see somewhere that you could also do videos for some of the essays? Not the professionally-edited kind, just the prop-up-your-phone-and-talk kind.

I thought more essays were only required if applying for the Johnson Scholarship (which might be the goal). If not applying for the Johnson then can’t he just submit the completed Common App? Again, I may be wrong on both fronts as he may be applying for the Johnson and/or additional essays are required for W&L.

Kid burnt out on essays and application process - been there, done that. It can be an exhausting experience for student and parent.

2 Likes