Washington State University v. Chapman University

Hi My daughter is deciding between Chapman University in CA and Washington State University. Her intended major is Neuroscience. Chapman is a more expensive school. We live in CA. it seems that WSU has a stronger science/premed program. I am sure it will be a culture shock at first for her going from a big city to a small college town. Which school should she chose? Thanks!

My daughter was making the same decision and is also premed she just emailed Chapman to decline last night. It was a very hard decision because Chapman had awarded her so much merit money it was the same cost as WSU which hasn’t released any merit scholarships (at least to her) other than the WUE. We keep being told scholarships are announced between May and September :frowning: but at the end of the day she felt more “at home at WSU” she loves the big school atmosphere. It feels a little weird to agree to pay full price for a state school and turn down hundreds of thousands from Chapman but its what she likes. Hope that helps!

Oh in terms of the science programs Chapman is putting A LOT into their STEM program. They have the new building and are really trying to ramp up the program and get away from being known as the Arts and Entertainment heavy school. I would feel totally comfortable with either program although WSU has the benefit of their own Medical School and a more established pre-med program.

Thank you, appreciate your input.

Yes, your input helped a lot. My daughter also went with WSU for the same reasons as your daughter. I agreed, she also turned down lots of money from Chapman, with hopes that she will get the full college experience at WSU.