Watch for Higher Tuition and Fees for Nursing vs. other majors

<p>Many colleges are now charging higher tuition and fees for nursing majors than for other majors. At some places like Pitt and Penn State, it is $4K more a year. (Penn State only charges the extra tuition the last 2 years). These costs don't typically show up when you look up the current standard tuition or cost of attendance for a college. Sometimes, there are $1,000 of clinical fees that are hidden in the fine print. </p>

<p>Also, I'm constantly amazed by how much the food and housing costs vary from college to college - by up to $4K a year.</p>

<p>This is a useful warning. And don’t forget the additional nursing major expenses, like having to buy scrubs with the school’s logo for clinicals, a stethoscope, security clearance-fingerprinting, TB tests and other shots, transportation costs to hospitals and other clinical experiences that aren’t close to the school… and those really, really expensive nursing school books. (My kid in pharmacy school has similar additional costs.)</p>

<p>These added fees are more common than I thought. I took my own advice and looked at another college that my daughter is considering, and found an asterisk leading to per credit fees, which add up to $3,300 of additional fees per year for nursing students.</p>

<p>Charlieschm:
Your D might want to check out University of Delaware for Nursing. The total amount (all four years combined) in addtional charges for tuition/fees for Nursing is only around $1500.00. Of course it also has all the other costs you would have anywhere (scrubs, transportation, etc.). They have a fairly new Nurse Managed Health Center at the current Nursing building. In addition in a year or two UD will have a brand new Nursing Center as part of a massive building expansion they are completing as part of their Science/Engineering Expansion Project. The current annual total for tuition/fees and room/board is around $39,000 for OOS students. She might want to give it a look. Best of luck to her in her search.</p>

<p>Thanks, she did apply to U. Del. They don’t provide decisions until March for out of staters.</p>

<p>I was a little mistaken about one college - they only charge the extra fees for each nursing course, not for each year of a nursing major. Since you don’t have many nursing courses your first 2 years, it is less of a financial impact.</p>