Georgetown?

<p>My daughter has taken a strong interest in attending Georgetown for her BSN. That's not a school I've seen discussed here much. I know Georgetown University has an excellent reputation in general, but I have not found much information on their nursing program (student reviews, admission stats, etc.). Her goal is to earn her BSN, then work for a year or two and go on to get her CRNA. </p>

<p>Has anyone researched, toured or attended Georgetown Nursing? Thank you for any information you can offer.</p>

<p>I realize that many Georgetown students receive aid from the U. However, I wouldn’t pay $160,000 to $220,000 for a bachelors of nursing when there are many affordable quality choices out there. A nurse who spent $200,000 for a nursing degree will probably earn the same salary as a nurse who paid $100,000 or less for a degree.</p>

<p>If you would be paying anything close to sticker price, save your money for grad school.</p>

<p>My son and I toured Georgetown for a non-nursing program. (He didn’t get in.) </p>

<p>Keep in mind that DC is an expensive city in many different ways. If a U. can’t provide affordable housing all four years, also consider what it would cost to pay for off-campus housing. In addition, universities in expensive cities such as DC, Boston and NYC often charge much more for on-campus housing and food service than universities in other locations.</p>

<p>I read about some U. Penn BSN students who became irritated when they realized they were doing clinicals right next to Community College of Phila. nursing students who were paying 5% as much in tuition. </p>

<p>Lastly, sometimes it is good to go to college in a place with fewer distractions than are available in the town of Georgetown and DC as a whole. I understand DC has many nightclubs that are open to under-21 year olds.</p>

<p>Hi @‌go4fan56<br>
Their application form is several pages long. Not kidding. They do not use the common app.& require an interview. Three SAT II subject tests.
Admission rate for their Health Science program is aprx 16% or higher Early Action & aprx 14% or a lot less for regular decision. ( Nursing & Health Sc program that means you are with all the pre-med ) </p>

<p>My D turned in the form literally on the last day of the deadline but due to school closing /snow storms in our area…I don’t think we got all the transcripts / materials in to them…so we didn’t give it much thought. But it sounds like a solid program from what I have read.<br>
Good Luck. </p>

<p>Thank you Charliesch and FlowerMom. I completely agree with the thoughts on cost. We’ve had that discussion many, many times. There is a nationally ranked state nursing school 2.5 hours away from where we live. Extremely difficult to get into (especially now that they started direct entry beginning this school year). We keep comparing $20,000 per year vs. Georgetown costs - and she “gets it”. At the same time, she has worked RIDICULOUSLY hard to put herself in the position to be accepted at probably all the school she applies to (Georgetown would be her reach - and she knows it’ll be the luck of the draw & mood of admissions on the given day they read her application) . We’ll probably visit in the next couple months to make sure she actually likes it. Yet if she happens to be lucky enough to gain acceptance - and she likes it - it may turn into a war zone at my house…</p>

<p>@go4fan56 Good Luck with her applications & college search. </p>

<p>JMPO - If your daughter is going to apply to Georgetown (and if she has a realistic chance of being accepted) she should also apply to the University of Pennsylvania. It’s the only Ivy league school with an undergrad nursing program and is very highly regarded. Also supposedly one of the most affordable private colleges in the US.
<a href=“Office of the President | Office of the President”>Office of the President | Office of the President;

<p>As of 3 years ago when my son applied, Georgetown was harder for admittance than it appeared. That is because they made it harder to apply than most other schools. There was a 2 part application, no ability to use the common app (as stated above), a requirement for 3 SAT subject tests (which almost no one else required), and an expectation that you do an interview with an alum. The end result was that only highly motivated students finished the process. At the time, Georgetown said it was intentional - they didn’'t want to waste their time on non-serious applications.</p>

<p>If Georgetown changes their application requirement( using common app and require only 2 subject tests…), many more students will apply for sure. The acceptance rate can go down to a single digit ( think its around 16% this year).</p>

<p>If that happens, they will be reading perhaps twice the number of essays ( some from the non-serious applicants), and getting about twice the amount of the application fee: which can be an awesome amount. </p>

<p>Each school has a different admission policy, and Georgetown happens to be more of a unique and conservative school.</p>

<p>Sent you a private message. My d went to Penn but has worked at the Georgetown Hospital for the last 3 years. </p>