weather?

<p>^Oh man, those areas by LaCrosse are just gorgeous. They're probably the most beautiful parts of Wisconsin I've ever seen.</p>

<p>*west of Madison. Sorry.</p>

<p>Definitely 4 seasons. We're north of the prairies, with interesting terrain and lakes formed by the glaciers. Also, both downhill and crosscountry skiing. Snowshoeing, hiking, skating, sledding... Remember the Arboratum is within walking distance as are Picnic Point and city parks. Have to add that there's even a place in SW WI where all 4 glaciers missed. And Native American effigy mounds on campus. Plenty to distract you from your studying. UW is not one hill, but many, I remember hearing. I still remember the '70's era shoulder patch I didn't buy- "UW Tray Team- Ski Bascom Hill".</p>

<p>a-r-b-o-r-e-t-u-m</p>

<p>Yup- my perfectionism slipped up and I misspelled a word. Hooray for me. I spend too much time correcting typos secondary to my missed fingerings...too much on proofreading, too.</p>

<p>Madison85, is that honestly necessary? I've always wondered why people do that. It freaking blows my mind.</p>

<p>Really, it's not a spelling bee. Knock it off--it's not the first or second time either.</p>

<p>How far from Milwaukee is Lacrosse? Son is interested in Marquette. Are there any pretty nature areas near there?</p>

<p>Not much near Marquette, which is in Milwaukee. LaCrosse is about 2.5 hours, I believe, from Milwaukee. You'd have to head north like all the other nature-seeking Milwaukee-area residents who have cabins and weekend getaways in the north-eastern portion of the state: Menoqua, Rhinelander, Door County, etc. Marquette is in an urban setting, and in my opinion, in an extremely unpleasant city.</p>

<p>Look at a map- Milwaukee on Lake Michigan, La Crosse on the Mississippi River- all the way across the state. Marquette got a poor location for a campus, just north of it is the "inner city" (not known to be very safe) and just south is the freeway. The campus is just a bunch of buildings with a bit of green space, nothing for nature lovers very close. You could walk to the lakefront to get some exercise but downtown is no longer a place you would want to shop, if any store still remain. At least UW-M is close to the lake in a better part of Milwaukee. I dislike the city also- its roots are industrial and it has many old small houses near the Marqutte campus. Madison is so much nicer, so glad my parents moved when I was little.</p>

<p>So is it snowing in Madison today. It looked like it on the Weather Channel. If so, is it the first major snow of the season and is it the sign or lots more to come? (I like the snow)</p>

<p>The guy who plows our driveway said that "they" are predicting 150 inches of snow this year in Madison. Last year was a record 100+ inches. I'm not sure if this is correct, but I think the plow guy really hopes it's true - more $$ for him.</p>

<p>Madison officially received 1.4 inches of snow Sunday, bringing the November total up to 4.3 inches, slightly below the normal 4.7 inches for the month.</p>

<p>More snow could be coming later this week.</p>

<p>The National Weather Service said between 3 and 7 inches of snow could fall Wednesday, starting after midnight Tuesday night and lasting into Wednesday night.</p>

<p>For what it's worth, my D, who has applied & hopefully will be accepted, has visited the campus twice. First time was President's Day last February--it was during an off-and-on blizzard with the temps around 5 above, with 6-8 foot mounds of snow throughout the campus. AND THEY STILL DID THE WALKING TOUR !! I couldn't believe it. Like an earlier poster said, these nutty kids wear the weather like a badge of honor...</p>

<p>Last time was a couple weeks ago. No snow, but up to a balmy 15 degrees. D attended two classes, had lunch at a dorm, and finished the day sipping Turkish tea on State St. </p>

<p>Even though my D hasn't seen the campus in anything but glacial conditions, I could see in her eyes that Madison is where she wants to be.</p>

<p>Go figure...</p>

<p>Was the tea from Med Cafe?</p>

<p>Place is the campus hot spot for lunches, especially in the damp days of winter. Mediterranean Cafe on state. Incredible tea.</p>

<p>No, it was from Husnu's, a Turkish restaurant on State. Actually, we've eaten there both times on campus. Very good stuff, and the tea is aromatic and flecked with cardomom seed.</p>

<p>Turkish, Afghan, East African, Himalayan...the list goes on & on. If you're adventurous, that one stretch has probably the most diverse cuisine in the state of WI.</p>

<p>Hmm State Street sounds pretty diverse. Sounds like Berkeley here in CA if you have ever visited.</p>

<p>From captimes.com</p>

<p>The afternoon drive time will be hampered by blowing and drifting snow caused by stiff northwest winds, with travel conditions expected to deteriorate in the late afternoon, the Weather Service said.</p>

<p>"Be prepared for snow-covered roads and limited visibility, and use caution while driving," the weather advisory said.</p>

<p>Weather Central meteorologist Brian Olson said Madison should end up with 2-4 inches of snow, with greater accumulations to the north and southeast.</p>

<p>Last year in Madison was the worst winter of my life, and I have lived through a lot of them just not that many in Wisconsin. 101+ inches of snow and too many days when 15 degrees felt balmy. It seemed endless, and then the rain and floods came in the spring and wouldn't stop. We're talking apocalypse here. Rivers overflowed their banks, small towns were inundated, and a man-made lake in the Dells breached its banks, cut a channel to the Wisconsin River and left an empty mud flat. The lake is now being refilled. I did enjoy the very nice summer, and this fall was pleasant too.</p>

<p>I grew up in NJ and lived 30 years in the DC area, and in my opinion there is entirely too much weather in the Midwest. Madison's a nice place to live though. It's great to be in a city with a beltline and not a beltway. And we have a brand new Costco. So I'm not moving anytime soon weather or not.</p>

<p>I was trained as an American historian and I had never seen the Mississippi, which is so important in the development of this country, so we went over to LaCrosse so I could get a look. We drove back to Madison on the River Road, which runs right along side the river. In many places the river is quite grand although I think it spreads out as you go further south. I have been told that if you want a better view you should cross over to Minnesota and Iowa sides of the river since the view over to the Wisconsin side is supposed to be much nicer.</p>