Were UC admissions brutal this year?

<p>It doesn’t affect me, as I got into my dream school (Cal Poly), but a LOT of good students at my school were turned down from the upper-tier UCs. We usually send tons of people to UC Davis, and this year many people were denied. We have a lot of hard-working students going to Sac State, the local CSU. </p>

<p>This was me:
Cal Poly SLO - accepted (Architecture) (early decision)
UC Santa Barbara - accepted to alternate major (Earth Science/Geology)
UC Davis - waitlisted (Civil Engineering)
UC San Diego - waitlisted (Structural Engineering)</p>

<p>We had a girl get into Stanford this year who didn’t get into Berkeley. I don’t know of anyone at our school who got into UCLA or UCB, and only two that got into UCSD.</p>

<p>The UCs received a record number of applications this year so I would imagine they were pretty brutal. I do wonder if some top students were rejected simply because they didn’t think the student would actually attend if they were accepted but that’s just a theory. Maybe they didn’t show much interest, didn’t visit campus or make contact with admissions,etc. Who knows. Congratulations on your acceptances!!</p>

<p>D14 was accepted at UCSD after showing no interest other than applying. She has solid, but not amazing stats (uc gpa 4.12, 2030 SAT, 31 ACT), few ECs, but lots of rigor and low income/1st gen. I have to think that the UCs really took holistic evaluations seriously, and probably put a lot of thought into a well-rounded class, which if you’re on the outside, mostly looking at stats, can seem puzzling as to why some kids were not accepted.</p>

<p>I think it’ll be the same next year</p>

<p>I know of some people from my own school with high stats that didn’t get into UCLA or Berkeley, but a lot of other people with perhaps a bit lower stats and more extracurriculars got in. Crazy that no one from your school got in! At this point it seems like just a crapshoot for everyone.</p>

<p>I am proud to say that of my six children, my last and final DD3 was the first to NOT even bother applying to the UCs. We have legacies at Berkeley extending back three generations, yet when DS3 applied two years ago, we were simply disgusted with the lack of FA, with the impacted majors, with the overcrowded and run-down facilities, and with the realization that he would be lucky if he got out in even 5 years. DD3, observing her brother’s grave disappointment with our beloved land grant institutions, did not even bother to apply in Fall 2013. She could not be happier that she did not have to deal with “yet another college application” imbroglio–the UC application–and instead focused her energies on private universities that would permit her to get the classes she wanted and at an overall cost far below that of the University of California. </p>

<p>There’s a lot of misleading information out there. It doesn’t take more than 4 years to graduate unless you switch majors between different schools, such as L&S to Engineering. You might have to rearrange your classes because of a bad pass time, but that’s true of many schools, not just UC’s. I haven’t met anyone who wasn’t able to get the classes they needed to graduate on time. UC’s want you to graduate on time because of the sheer cost of educating all of us. Keeping us longer isn’t beneficial to them. </p>

<p>The same misleading information that is repeated about the UCs. All of my coworker’s children will/have graduated in 4 years with high GPA(3.85-4.00). My nephew had triple majors and graduated in 4 years, that is why his GPA suffered. But he just graduated from medical school. My niece also graduated in 4 years with GPA>3.90 and also in med school. My own kid is already ahead of the math sequence for her major, will graduate in 4 or less. She is not even packing her schedule with classes. She complains about having to take classes at 8 or 10 am, while in high school her classes started at 8:00am. </p>