What are my chances of getting into these schools? I am an African American female

<p>

</p>

<p>I have also noticed this. </p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I must say I somewhat disagree with you. I believe it is a compilation of both.</p>

<p>Speaking within academic circles, that may be fact. Generally however, I stand by that statement.</p>

<p>On a side note though, I don’t see how Yale’s admissions statistics with Black CC posters strengthens starlight’s argument.</p>

<p>EDIT: whatever that may be.</p>

<p>im sorry, but all your responses are just excuses. arguing with me here won’t change the true facts that are reality. you continue with this jesse jackson, al sharpton debate over black history; thats what separates us, I am progressive, I don’t dwell in the past. and btw, obama definitly tried to avoid getting into a race debate, addressing the issue only a small number of speeches and key moments, referring to it more in terms of his own self-development than in terms of general race relations. Besides, being poor, inner-city, and black is not the only indication of a tough life; without realizing it you may actually have it better than most. For example, new york’s public school system trumps that of a state like arizona, even though it is not necessarily the poorest state in america. i just hate hearing “if only” excuses, or “i could have”. I don’t know a damn person on this green earth that can’t point to someone else and claim that they could have been given better. thats just me.</p>

<p>Good luck to you, justadream. You will see what I am discussing here (the prejudice, self-doubt, struggle, etc.) at stanford. Please know that I am not a token, I refuse it. there are many white ppl who were accepted to 7/8 ivies, b/c we are very qualified. I refuse to continue discussing this with you, you will encounter it in your own life. i just know that i will never use my identity as a crutch, i will never allow the taunts of “you just got that b/c of AA” to come true, i will always be just as qualified or over qualified as any other person, and i will never take pride in the fact that i only earned something due to my race, or was denied something due to my race. In this day and age, there are more black ppl, who are adequately qualified, than there are positions for at the upper echelons, so your crutch can only take you so far. </p>

<p>I honestly wish you good luck; I’m sure that after a year in Stanford, you will come to value my opinion. Believe me, I am far from pompous, and ever-grateful for my accomplishments. But the truth is truth and the real world is real; not an idealized CNN episode of Black in America, or an EBONY magazine. The hindrance of race is truly what you make of it. Hopefully although your records suggest otherwise (SAT/ACT), you will excel and be competitive in the classroom. Because believe me, few profs will just give you an easy pass b/c you’re black, to the contrary, they would rather give you a C, and expect you to earn a C. Prove them wrong!</p>

<p>"justadream92
Junior Member</p>

<p>Join Date: Sep 2009
Your analogies are pointless. Again, please keep your feelings and thoughts about other people out of this … No one really cares.
Where have I implied that we need AA in the first place? You obviously “won” an imaginary argument against yourself. Congratulations!</p>

<p>All I was saying was don’t kick dirt on someone’s credentials or assume AA for URM college acceptances. That was my argument. I don’t know why you just randomly brought up topics that no one was even discussing to begin with."</p>

<p>completely agree with this post in a different thread, but in order for it to stand ground, it has to be true! You cannot take offense at AA insults, yet on the other hand defend it to the death b/c you feel like you needed it.</p>

<p>Good luck once again, I wish you the best. Don’t forget, ppl will have their assumptions about you, so don’t play into them. Don’t be the little black charity case.</p>

<p>To the quote above, I was insinuating that not every single URM needs AA. However, that doesn’t suggest that it isn’t delegated to them. The fact of the matter is, we’ll never know who it is and who it isn’t given to. I went on to say that the quantitive facets of an application do not solely deem one as qualified or unqualified in a holistic admissions process. Those against AA typically use quantitive stats as the basis of their argument while elite colleges make decisions in a different manner. The poster I was referring to neglected to acknowledge the quality of the OP’s other credentials in the context of how they were achieved, thus my statement. None of that blatantly suggests my perspectives on AA. But of course, you wouldn’t quote me there. </p>

<p>My thoughts on AA (for the record):
*I could’ve honestly cared less about the reactions I received upon the wake of my acceptances from my peers and teachers. The fact of the matter is, I now have the opportunity to share an equal playing field for the first time in my life in college. I did not have that opportunity throughout grade school, considering the general scope of my school district inhabited by the poor/ working class. To eliminate AA without first ensuring that there is actual equality within our k-12 school systems across America (which is astoundingly by far not the reality) will render consequences that may very well destroy the fabric of minority-mobility in this country, which then causes other detriments affecting society at large. Let’s guarantee that all students are given the same opportunities to excel; then we can talk about expelling AA policies.</p>

<p>America is not a meritocracy and it never has been. It would be nice, perhaps, to see such a thing. However, until every student in this nation is given an identical education with identical opportunities to excel, AA will continue and minorities will thrive via opportunity while managing to persevere through the same old criticism that was endowed to them upon birth.*</p>

<p>AA isn’t pretty and I oppose many of the elements of the policy, as some are inefficient in resolving race-related issues. However, its benefits outweigh its detriments. Until something that is more equitable is proposed and put into law before legislation, AA is here to stay.</p>

<p>In response to your last post on page 3:*Quote me where I’ve discussed the history of Black injustices in my post directed towards you in this specific thread. Also, please explain to me how I’ve offered an excuse. Perhaps you have allowed my previous personal references of being poor and black clout your argument. Let me reiterate that I favor socioeconomic AA above the current flawed and inefficient policy. If I’ve had it better, anyone from inner-cities like NY for that matter, than someone else elsewhere, then by God, bless them. That’s not my argument.</p>

<p>If you aren’t a token, neither am I, nor our fellow Black peers going to elite colleges.*</p>

<p>You will never ever know how many opportunities were delegated to you because of the color of your skin and that’s a fact. To suggest otherwise and deny that is foolish on your part.*</p>

<p>I will also be just as qualified, if not overqualified, when looked at amongst my peers. What exactly is your definition of qualified? Don’t give me merriam-Webster.</p>

<p>I appreciate your wishes and I, too, wish you luck. However, I know that I belong where I am and deserve to be there. I will thrive despite criticism and I will succeed to be the beacon for the students who were told they were less than and that failure is imminent.</p>

<p>I’ll be competitive in the classroom, as I always have been. My instructors will grade me with the same honesty as they always have, well I hope. And for that, I’m grateful for the opportunity.</p>

<p>“The prejudice, self-doubt and struggle” is imminent for every college freshman. I am no different and I welcome that notion. I’ve never seen enough of it. i’m used to it, despite what others may believe. I get a high off of doubt, so that actually makes me want to perform to a higher degree. And I will.</p>

<p>On a side note, if you want someone to blame for AA, starlight, blame the white men who instituted it, their reasons for doing so and the motive for their successors to keep it alive.</p>

<p>starlight*: “there are many white ppl who were accepted to 7/8 ivies, b/c we are very qualified…”</p>

<p>^ i don’t know any white people who APPLIED to all ivies, let alone were ACCEPTED to 7/8. Starlight* do test scores alone determine ‘qualification’? Because let me let you on a secret, by that definition, there are literally THOUSANDS of people more qualified than you, me included. You benefited from AA. Accept it. Move on. You are not so exceptionally qualified ok. I’ve seen you in the forums through this whole year, and idk when you became so bitter and angry at fellow AA’s. No matter how you feel about AA, shooting down people and claiming that everyone beneath your test scores/EC’s/whatever is UNQUALIFIED is just…silly lol it’s laughable actually.</p>

<p>Starlight, I’m a little confused as to why you are bashing people? I believe you listed your stats on a Yale thread months ago, and listed your “hook” as being a URM. If you so vehemently oppose racially based admissions boosts, why would you need a hook or even check an ethnicity box at all? I agree with Jayjay90, who actually applies to all the Ivies? They are all different schools with different strengths. The only people that generally do this are prestige whores. While I commend you on great stats and EC’s, there is nothing that on them that would have granted acceptance to 7/8 Ivies without a hook of any kind.</p>

<p>Wow. </p>

<p>“amen somebody.”</p>

<p>This thread ****ing blew up for no reason.</p>

<p>Just chance the girl, for pete’s sake! Starlight* is forever instigating. Don’t pay her any mind.</p>

<p>And by the way, starlight*, I had better stats than you and was waitlisted at Yale, yet you don’t see me griping. Cool yourself.</p>

<p>Edit: After reading through starlight*'s posts, I have come to the conclusion that s/he is not genuine. First, s/he was complaining about Harvard housing, and now s/he’s going to Yale? Give me a break. Pick your lie and stick with it!</p>