What are realistic costs for Room & Board?

<p>DS is OOS and has been accepted with a 2/3 tuition scholarship.</p>

<p>For budgeting purposes what are the realistic costs for off campus room & board in the first year and beyond?</p>

<p>Tuition & fee are fairly calculable. Books & personal expenses will be pretty much the same regardless of where he chooses to attend. But housing is a big question mark. Does the cost of on-campus housing vary?</p>

<p>Collegeboard.org shows $8650 for room and board (on campaus) per year.
[UA</a> estimates](<a href=“http://www.ua.edu/quickfacts/cost.html]UA”>http://www.ua.edu/quickfacts/cost.html) $4,400 on-campus room & $1,825 board per semester ($12,450 per year).</p>

<p>After freshman year, would off-campus room & board be more, less or about the same as on-campus?</p>

<p>(Feel free to point me to other post/threads. I looked through some but wasn’t finding these types of comparisons.)</p>

<p>UA estimates are based upon highest room cost (ie the suites).</p>

<p>After freshmen year, students can apply for a cheaper meal plan. 1st year students must take the big meal package.</p>

<p>We are also prospective OOS and did basic research. Off-campus is definitely less expensive than freshman year UA estimates.</p>

<p>Many of us feel that the FIRST YEAR cost for R&B are the highest for many students for the following reasons:</p>

<p>Super suites housing is expensive and on campus living is req’d (altho living in honors is not required).</p>

<p>The all-you-can-eat meal plan that is ONLY req’d for freshman is expensive. Many students choose either a cheaper meal plan or NO meal plan after frosh year.</p>

<p>First year (if choosing super suites housing) R&B costs will be high…probably about $12,000. </p>

<p>First year (if choosing standard doubles) R&B costs are about $8000</p>

<p>after the first year, costs for honors students can drop a LOT.</p>

<p>What is your son’s major?</p>

<p>m2ck,
He is interested in business.
re housing, I’m not sure what choices he would have. He won’t be deciding until after he sees some FA packages from a couple other schools in April.</p>

<p>re housing, I’m not sure what choices he would have. He won’t be deciding until after he sees some FA packages from a couple other schools in April.</p>

<p>I’m not sure what you mean. His housing choices at Bama would be “super suites housing” (which are pricey) or standard doubles (which are much less expensive).</p>

<p>I understand that you won’t be choosing a final school until spring. I was talking about the choices he’d have if he chose Bama…super suites or standard doubles.</p>

<p>If he’s in business, the living learning community in Friedman is an option. That would be less expensive than the honors supersuites. Also the board cost includes $600 a year of dining dollars, but if a student doesn’t use the dining dollars, he can request a refund at the end of the year. I think I calculated that my D’s room and board for this year will be about $12,500. She lives in the honors supersuites and has the required all access meal plan and dining dollars. She wants to stay on campus next year, but I think she’ll definitely step down the meal plan, and she has barely touched her dining dollars.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>I realize that Bama has the COA high and padded so that those who want to borrow up to COA to get all the “extras” can do so, but it can really mislead those who are more cost conscious. </p>

<p>Yes, the first year is the most expensive…especially if choosing a super-suite residence hall. </p>

<p>I know a frosh honors frosh who has free tuition and is on a tight budget, so he chose the standard double, isn’t spending his Dining Dollars (so he can get a refund), and will not select a meal plan for next year. His costs will be MUCH lower than COA.</p>

<p>I can tell you that off Campus a suite similar to on campus super suites would be about $600 a month, so even if you sign a 12 month lease that is $7200 could not guesstimate food…maybe $300 a month.</p>

<p>Thanks for the input. Getting a handle on costs for years 2-4 is always difficult. This is my 3rd & last to go to college. I just want to be able to present him with realistic cost scenarios so he can make an intelligent choice about where to attend and how much it will cost him.</p>