What East Coast universities must be on the list of a male soccer athlete? Class is 2023

@cinnamon1212 South Kent looks very interesting. Do you think it is netter than attending Specialized Highschool and playing on the MLS Next team? Is there any value in my transferring in the last year you think?

Also do you think there is a way to spin up the commitment and hard work put into playing soccer, watching soccer, learning from players, etc. for a resume when applying without commitment to a team? Because of the hours I spent practicing , playing, learning (mastering the skill) I didnā€™t have as much time to do other activities, clubs, etc. And this summer I play every week.

@ucbalumnus supper helpful. I will add this into the criteria evaluating schools

Thank you for clarifying!

If you want to apply to UCs, consider the following, but note that admission to the computer science major is usually more difficult than overall admission rates may suggest. Note that UCs (and CSUs) do not consider SAT or ACT scores, so one of your stronger college admission credentials is not available if you apply there.

Recalculate your HS GPA with GPA Calculator for the University of California ā€“ RogerHub . Use the weighted capped version for the table below.

Fall 2021 admission rates by campus and HS GPA range from Freshman fall admissions summary | University of California :

Campus 4.20+ 3.80-4.19 3.40-3.79 3.00-3.39
Berkeley 30% 11% 2% 1%
Davis 85% 55% 23% 10%
Irvine 60% 31% 14% 1%
Los Angeles 29% 6% 1% 0%
Merced 97% 98% 96% 89%
Riverside 97% 92% 62% 23%
San Diego 75% 35% 5% 1%
Santa Barbara 73% 28% 4% 1%
Santa Cruz 91% 81% 46% 9%

These are for the whole campus. Different divisions or majors may have different levels selectivity (usually, engineering and computer science majors are more selective).

@ucbalumnus do you know schools on the east coast that do not include freshman year grades when recalculating gpa? I will Google it but if you know that would be supper helpful. Iā€™ll do it to understand how it will change the picture

Are there schools these days that may weight test score higher for the undergraduate admissions than gpa? All classes I took except for AP are considered honors classes. Anyway to explore how that may change the gpa that will be calculated by the university?

Is there a way to search for a list like this? Just to add some color on my academics, all the classes I take are honors and it is hard to get APs. Here is a list of APs I will graduate with.

Classes: APUSH - 4, APW - 5, (12TH AP MACRO/AP GOV, APES, AP CALC, AP COMP SCI)

AOs understand how time consuming sports as an EC are. In your common app activities section make sure to include all the hours you spent per week on soccer including practice, games, weightlifting, team and captainsā€™ meetings, travel, physical therapy, etc.

Some student athletes will have one activity be the HS team season (not sure applicable for you) and another, the club season. For athletes who dealt with major injuries, such as ACL reconstruction or Tommy John surgery, that can be yet another activity, one that is time intensive.

Obviously you want to double check the cumulative average weekly hours you put in the Activities section for reasonableness. 40 hours per week on average is may be too high, 10 too low. Iā€™ve worked with many athletes who have had average weekly time spent on their sport in the mid-20 hour range.

Separately, do you have a sense of your class rank? If your school doesnā€™t calculate this, ask your GC who likely still knows. Many colleges will try and estimate a relative class rank for applicants.

I donā€™t know why poor TCNJ keeps getting lumped with the seton halls (I live in NJ) with its 49% acceptance rate (Rutgers New Brunswick is 69% - I have graduates from both schools).

Itā€™s a slight on neither school. The listing was based on my assessment of OPā€™s odds. Per College Navigator, Rutgers had a 68% acceptance rate with an 25/75 SAT range of 1240-1470 (I added 25th math & verbal and 75th math and verbal to get these totals). College of New Jersey had a 62% acceptance rate with 25/75 SAT range of 1170-1350. Both had comparable numbers of students submitting their SAT scores (45% vs 42%). As OPā€™s SAT score not as far above the 75th range for Rutgers as it is for College of New Jersey, I placed the former in the Likely category and the latter in the Extremely Likely category. The odds of admission to a school do not necessarily correlate with the quality of the education.

2 Likes

Not near a city, but maybe look into Hobart and William Smith.

Great list! In addition to Fairfield and Providence (already on your list), what about Stonehill College? ( D1 with lots of club teams and strong athletic vibe)