What happens if you aren't accepted into the arts program after portfolio review?

My daughter is looking at the graphic (visual communication) design program Virginia Tech. Like most or maybe all arts programs, there’s a portfolio review toward the end of the first year during which you seek acceptance into a particular arts major. I saw on the website that 75% are accepted into the arts program. What happens to the other 25% of first year students who aren’t accepted into the arts program. They are already accepted into the university, so do they start over as non-arts majors?

I know someone whose child is in the program. I’m not 100% I’m remembering this correctly but I think he said that if his son didn’t pass portfolio review, he would be placed into BA Art History, which doesn’t require a review, and then he could try again the next year.

Thanks for your reply. It sounds like switching majors to Art History would extend the time needed to graduate. I would probably urge her to switch to a nonarts major at that point but I’m not sure how hard that would be to do.