What happens if you don't get your requested engineering major??

This question didn’t occur to us at the engineering admissions session.

So after the first year you apply to your major of choice. What happens if you don’t get it? I assume you’ll have requested a secondary major? And if you don’t get that? Are you out of engineering?

And then part 2: are all the Blinn team AND the A&M kids competing for the same spots? How many thousands do they estimate that to be?

Steps to Apply for Entry-to-a-Major

Students apply by the given deadline:

If accepted into a major(s) student will receive a conditional acceptance (conditional on performance during the semester of the application) - students who do not complete the semester in satisfactory academic standing will forfeit any conditional acceptance received during that respective term.

Students accept or decline admission to a major by a given deadline
Entry-to-a-major is effective during the following term

If not accepted into a major(s) please know that there are other options to help you reach your goal to graduate with an undergraduate degree. You may refer to the engineering departments or the degree programs page to explore other majors and minors offered.

Read this link. It is very informative and answers a lot of your questions and then some.

https://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/advisors-procedures/entry-to-a-major/application-recommendations

Thanks!

I will read the link.

I was hoping some parents and students could chime in with some real life experiences.

It looks like you have two shots at it. Once in the Fall and once in the Spring. Plus you can apply to 5 different majors. If you are on the border in the Spring you might consider putting as a safety some of the Engineering Technology degrees: MMET, MXET, or ESET. The Engineering Technology program at A&M is very highly regarded.

Please note that accepting/declining a major by a certain deadline no longer applied as of the Spring 2016 admission cycle (it last applied to the Class of 2018). Last spring, students were accepted into a major and it was considered final – they did not accept/decline. I mentioned the outdated website information to EASA last spring, but they have still not amended it. That said, students could list up to 5 major choices, and 90% were accepted to their first choice. Students who do not get into a specific major can always apply for a change of curriculum. And yes, both A&M (General Engineering) and Blinn Team (Engineering Academy) students apply via the ETAM process. See the Spring 2016 admission rates and average GPAs for each engineering major here: http://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/advisors-procedures/entry-to-a-major/resources/analysis-spring-2016-admission-cycle

Regarding the accept/decline, students are no longer accepted into more than one major, as in the past. You are evaluated for your first choice major first. If not admitted, you are evaluated for your second choice, etc. You are granted acceptance into one major only.

You will be put into some engineering major, so long as you’re eligible i.e. meet GPA and course requirements. If you are ineligible (have below 2.0 and/or have not completed required math/science/engineering courses) you will have another chance. In the case that you are not put into the major you want, you cannot decline it, you have to go through the process of changing your major as it is your official major. 100% of eligible engineering students were put into some major, whether it was their 1st or 5th choice, while 90% got into their first choice for the Spring 2016 cycle.

Source: I just went through the ETAM process.

My daughter was accepted to major this summer, she got her 2nd choice. Please note that there were some changes to the process between the class of 2018 and 2019. The posts above by lee6666 and VSLI guy reflect the current procedures. The first applications are after 2 semesters of coursework which is spring. There is no longer a fall acceptance with a conditional spring semester. If you complete the requirements and give a couple of choices, the Engineering school will help you gain entry to major. They are trying to grow the Engineering school.

@ottonolan … Interesting that you said they are trying to grow the engineering school.

At an engineering admissions session in June they were very clear that they have way too many students and everyone should be thankful if they were even admitted into the Blinn or A&M bridge programs.

We left with the distinct impression that they felt they had plenty and honestly don’t care if you attend or not. Perhaps it was just the presenter? It left a super bad taste in my mouth… And I’m an Aggie!

@ottonolan Thank you for more clarification. My son is just in his first semester so we have not been through the process yet. I wish that A&M had their website more up to date with the current procedures and information. My apologies for confusion in providing outdated information.

@carachel2 There are limited spots, on CS campus and their are explanations on the 25x25 link below. They are trying to grow engineering. They just announced a new engineering bridge program with Austin Community College. http://engineering.tamu.edu/news/2016/09/13/texas-am-and-austin-community-college-announce-new-engineering-academy. A&M has a program called 25x25 https://engineering.tamu.edu/25by25

I hope it was just your presenter and what they were saying came off not how they meant it. That would be terrible as an ambassador recruiting kids. Our presenter was very much about “we want you” so maybe your presenter was trying to convey that an entry spot on the CS campus is a high achievement as a freshman because a lot of entries come from transfers/bridge programs who couldn’t get entry as a freshman and it just came off all wrong. When we visited the UT engineering school, the 4 student presenters were fabulous. One was a band geek, like my son, and they really hit it off. The adviser in the room needed the stick removed from her backside orifice. She was not so nice and a bit haughty. But we took her with a grain of salt.

@Thelma2 …maybe because I’m an Aggie and if I were an Aggie parent, paying $25K a year, I wouldn’t be overly happy with having to pay and for something not AT the original campus. This attitude probably isn’t a good one but I don’t want a bridge program from a community college for my kid if we can help it. I’m sure it is going to be a great program but I just got the impression they are too big, they don’t have room and I was left thinking “eh, why pay for THAT?” It sounded like a huge, very impersonal, “every man for himself” type of environment. We didn’t see the appeal–especially after several fantastic info sessions and tours at other schools where the dynamics are completely different.

Again—I’m not bagging on their new bridge program. It’s just not what D (and we) are looking for in an education experience. However, we are making her apply so she at least has an in-state option.

carachel2 – So sorry you and your daughter had that personal experience! It is funny because, at Texas A&M, that was exactly the opposite experience we had with our two engineering daughters. After the general tour, each time we met with the specific engineering department my girls chose and they were happy to spend extra time answering any questions they had. We never felt rushed and they made them feel like “they really wanted them.” For us, this level of attention was special to Texas A&M as we had “eh” info sessions and tours at other programs. But it does show the power of each recruiter or even the power of the person giving a campus tour!
As far as being at the university, neither daughter found it to be impersonal or cold but, of course, there also isn’t hand-holding. And, projecting a little farther down the road, because they are so large, they also have the largest engineering career fair with so many willing to help and tools the students can use to get internships and eventually full-time jobs.

@NETarrantMom …that is good to know! When did your daughters attend?

We had to force D to apply just to have an in-state option if the other options don’t work out financially. If she gets accepted, sounds like we need to go back again and make a personal department meeting.

She definitely won’t need hand holding and she prefers a larger school. It was just the department itself that seemed so huge and “whatever…we don’t care, we are so huge.”

@carachel2 - it probably was the presenter. We too had a completely different experience at A&M. Very welcoming with a “we want you” vibe. My son visited A&M general and engineering department sessions several times and it was a similar experience each time. He/we felt the campus had a very friendly vibe compared to other schools we visited. Maybe visit them again and give them another chance.

carachel2 - My older daughter recently graduated and is a Mechanical Engineer who has “grown and flown” while my younger daughter is a junior engineering student. Would definitely recommend you make an appointment with the individual department when she gets accepted or maybe contact the Student’s Engineering Council (SEC) to get a current student’s perspective. Working with them, my daughter has spoken to numerous high school students. Good luck and gig’em!