What happens if you drop from the Corps?

<p>I am a new cadet thinking about dropping after Red Phase (First 6 Weeks). My question is what happens as far as housing? </p>

<p>I've heard they move the cadets that drop to a civilian dorm (does anyone know which dorm), do they make them sign another contract and pay for both dorms? Or does the existing housing contract just move to the new dorm with the student?</p>

<p>Has anyone had any experience dropping from the corps mid-semester? If so, please post I would like to learn more..</p>

<p>My son will be leaving too. Housing said once all the Corps paperwork is completed, they expect about 20-30 cadets to show up to get their new assignment. It depends on what is open. Eligible freshman dorms are Cochran, Harper, lower quad dorms, Main Campbell, Newman per housing. Again this is all per Housing. But first all resigning Cadet paperwork must be completed. I hope this information is correct, it is what I was told. But you should make your own inquiries.</p>

<p>wrjosh88,Sounds like a few drop out every year and housing expects it. The kid of a family friend dropped out a couple of years ago- a little surprising as he had been an Eagle Scout, had also tried for the Naval Academy, and really seemed excited about the Corps- but I guess he realized it just wasn’t for him. He is still at Virginia Tech and I believe he made a smooth transition out of the Corps of Cadets. Good luck with your decision!</p>

<p>But they don’t expect us to pay twice for housing do they?</p>

<p>I am confident the two housing contracts will be prorated. I expect you are released from the Upper Quad one as you are no longer eligible to live there once you leave the Corps. There are different costs for different dorms so I expect everything will be prorated. You could call Housing (they are great!) and they could tell you how it would work. I am just guessing.</p>

<p>Ok thanks. I think I will give them a call.</p>

<p>Also, my battle buddies Mom told us (my roommate is dropping also) to request the paperwork the week before Red Phase Ends (Ends on Oct 5) so we can turn in the paper work and be ready to go the first day we are allowed to drop. Does that sound right? Or should we wait til after Red Phase has officially ended to let our Commanding officer know we are dropping?</p>

<p>Thanks in advance for all the answers you guys have been extremely helpful.</p>

<p>I do not know the answer to your question. I did ask my son to ask those in charge on October 1st if there was anything he could do in advance. I will post if I learn anything. Please post if you hear anything as well.</p>

<p>will do!</p>

<p>Thanks again</p>