What if your kid picks a profession that will never make any money?

On an earlier thread about geopolitical events shaping young adulthood, I posted that our son has told us more than once that he doesn’t plan to have children, but it is due to his dystopian view of the future. He is not as concerned about superpower posturing or nuclear war as he is his certainty that our doom is already sealed by the combined effects of automation disenfranchising an entire population and spawning an unsustainably growing underclass and the escalation of climate change crises that will drive us to resource wars. He knows he is privileged and that he would be able to provide well for a family while he is alive, but his timeline for when he believes these events will degrade the quality of life on the planet for all overlaps his children’s lifetime so, responsibly, no go.

His fiancée does not want children either. I’ve wondered if that is a criteria he used to select a mate.

5 Likes

They seem to lack the youthful optimism that I think I had in my 20’s.

6 Likes

@gouf78 didnt say stay at home parent - she just said motherhood.

For that matter I assume fatherhood.

Also why would we even equate parenthood with making $. I mean, of course any parent-child household needs $ in some shape or form to live.

Don’t want to get the thread off track.

1 Like

I think it’s very relevant to the thread.

Some people choose only motherhood as their profession, and it pays zilch. Notwithstanding the, “value” it adds to a household.

6 Likes

I know several young couples (late 20’s/30’s) who do not plan to have children. For the most part they are financially stable, so I don’t think that is the reason. I can see the dystopian attitude mentioned by @ChoatieMom playing a role as well as possibly less society pressure on couples (and particularly the females) plays a role.

6 Likes

Society has strong forces within it that tend to make it self-preserving. There were many dystopian world views that have never come to pass.

3 Likes

Or Fatherhood. Let’s call it PARENTING. :blush: Kinship caregiving is also PARENTING.

6 Likes

I would be worried if my child removed herself from the workforce for a substantial period of time now (even though I did so, and most of the adult women she knows did so, though very few men). The world seems more uncertain now.

11 Likes

My grandmother worked her entire life and had 6 kids. Her husband, my grandfather didn’t work, or you can call him in today’s term, he’s self employed,lol.
None of my aunts on that side of the family stayed at home, even some had 9-10 kids. My mom’s side is a bit more traditional. I didn’t stay at home with 2 kids either. I too was worried if I remove myself from the workforce for a long time.

1 Like

As were my parents when I left the FT paid workforce. It worked out, but could easily NOT have.

1 Like

True. I’m sorry if I were offensive. None of it puts money in the bank.

I’m not sure how I would frame the topic to promote discussion.

I am no longer qualified to do anything notwithstanding my education. Thankfully, I don’t have to be, but yes, I would imagine getting out of the work force full-time and trying to get back in now would be even harder, because fewer and fewer people do that now.

3 Likes

Well, I’ve known a few women who felt that way and had to go back after being out. I think one has no idea what one can do unless pushed to it (bad divorce, low/zero child support). I’m happy to report that when push comes to shove, people find a way.

7 Likes

I felt TREMENDOUS optimism on the eve of university. Despite Iraq/Kuwait (nothing bad seemed to happen after the invasion), the Berlin wall fell! Gorbachev! Perestroika. I mean, I lived in fear of mutually assured destruction as a teen and child. So yeah, unbridled optimism. And then the invention of the web browser, making the Internet super useful. I was a bit afraid after 2001 (but then not living in Afghanistan or Iraq), didn’t shake me up too badly.

2 Likes

However, the self-preservation of society does not necessarily mean that it does not become a dystopia for some portion of it (not necessarily all of it). For example, if an unemployable “useless” underclass grows and become difficult to escape from, society will be a dystopia for those in it, even if it is not for those who are not part of it.

3 Likes

It has never been easier to find a job for the unemployed, unless they have some health issues. In my youth, I never thought of taking a layoff package voluntarily, I’ve heard rumors like that among my kids. If I’m dissatisfied with my job, I’ll go find another job first. Do they call that sort of behavior self sabotage or something similar.

Wow. A couple of days ago I started a thread about our kids having kids (or not) and then deleted it for fear … I’m not even sure why I deleted it. Sounds like maybe I should have gone ahead and posted.

3 Likes

I had a similar idea when I saw an article on this subject in the local paper… and just like you, decided that I would not start a thread.

1 Like

This feels to me like it’s a subject that is so personal we are a little afraid to go there. I guess I’ll go ahead and do it. :grimacing:

4 Likes