What is each UC best at/known for?

<p>Pretty self explanitory. Just a worried senior trying to do some research into the UC system and find out what each college is particularly well-known for (academically of course. we all know UCSB is the best at spreading STD’s move along.*)</p>

<p>What are some of the most/least impacted majors, deep or interesting programs offered at each, most unique majors, majors with highest success rate, specific departments/faculty widely recognized, programs/departments/majors unique to a specific school, most/least flexible curriculums, cool interdisciplinary programs…</p>

<p>Basically anything like that. Simply curious to see what comes up, especially for lesser known UC’s like Irvine, Santa Cruz and (dare I say it?) Riverside.</p>

<p>Thanks in advance :)</p>

<p>*Kidding about the UCSB joke btw, I’ll consider myself lucky to even get in :P</p>

<p>Cal has as many/more top ranked programs than Harvard.</p>

<p>Davis does enology.</p>

<p>SD has a kick-butt bioengineering program.</p>

<p>R has a full fledged undergrad biz program.</p>

<p>SC is rather good in Aerospace eng, and has a transfer program with Cal.</p>

<p>UCLA - theater, dance.</p>

<p>SC has a transfer program with CAL?!? :O</p>

<p>But I thought the UC’s HATED inter-college transfers like that. And UCSC of all colleges? N</p>

<p>Not to hate on UCSC (again it’s on my apps list) but it doesn’t always get the best rep for
being the most challenging, especially not on Cal’s level at least.</p>

<p>Well,</p>

<p>UC Riverside is #1 in the country for Entomology…which is like studying insects. It’s actually quite interesting and they get to work with bugs in their classes…unless you’re squeamish when it comes to bugs I suppose.</p>

<p>UCI is pretty good in Criminology and Organic Chemistry I heard (although some of the Ph.D. candidates that actually get in really make me wonder…). There’s also fairly easy access to undergraduate research for almost anything if you’re interested in that. </p>

<p>Santa Cruz…I’ve only heard that they have a famous Astronomy department or something like that…and Linguistics too but I’m not too sure.</p>

<p>Yeah, something I’ve actually heavily been considering if I apply to UC Irvine is their Criminology Department. It just looks so cool! :D</p>

<p>I really wanna put that as my major when I apply there, but at the same time I am a little bit worried. My school offers NO psychology, sociology or criminology courses. The only social studies we have are the very basics.</p>

<p>That being said, I can say that I have completed AP U.S. History with a score of 5 and I am in Gov Honors and AP MacroEcnomics this year and have completed a course in MicroEconomics over the summer with an A.</p>

<p>So I guess what I’m asking is; would it still be possible for someone like me to be considered for criminology even if I have no prior experience with the subject in high school?</p>

<p>Oh and I like bugs so that’s no biggie :)</p>

<p>UCI doesn’t really admit by major, unless it’s something impacted like Nursing, Business Administration, Engineering, or some sort of Art (which isn’t impacted necessarily but requires talent). In general, I don’t think colleges really care about what you’ve done in high school beyond your GPA and SAT scores (unless you failed Calculus and are applying for Engineering or something). All the classes you’ve taken in high school will soon become meaningless. It’s a great feeling to start afresh and you get to explore your interests. If you’re interested in Criminology, go for it. There’s no requirement, official or implied that states you need prior experience in the field. Do research it to make sure it’s what you want though.</p>

<p>Yeah, I’m actually torn between that and Business Information Management since I also like Business (hence the economics classes) and Computer Science as well (again, my school has no Comp Sci, had to go take a class elsewhere). But since those have elements of both Business Administration AND engineering within them, would that be impacted? Would it be possible to double major?</p>

<p>Sorry but I’m just really trying to find out what it is that I really like and it looks like there’s actually a lot of great programs offered at UCI that aren’t found on any other UC campus. </p>

<p>I almost wonder why its sometimes overlooked by the other UC’s :/</p>

<p>What I know the UC’s for:</p>

<p>UC Berkeley: Top programs in literally everything. A good choice if you’re undeclared.
UCLA: Engineering and Art-type majors
UCSD: Biology, Bioengineering, and Earth Sciences
UC Davis: Anything environmental or agricultural
UC Irvine: I really have no idea
UCSB: Physics
UCSC: Marine Biology, Astronomy, Theater
UC Riverside: Business
UC Merced: Easier to get involved in undergraduate research</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Isn’t that kind of like saying “UCI doesn’t really admit by major, except when they do”?</p>

<p>UC Berkeley is also known for political science</p>

<p>I think UCSD is also good for political science.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Business Information Management is not impacted. It is possible to double major but I really have no info on that. If both majors are short, and if you’re willing to take some summer sessions, then it becomes rather doable.</p>

<p>Well that’s a bit of a relief :)</p>

<p>I’m a little bit undecided atm, but I’m really eager to learn a lot of new information and I"m looking into a lot of programs at a lot of the different UC’s.</p>

<p>How flexible are UC’s with majors and curriculums though? I’ve heard mixed things; some say it’s as easy as filling out a form to change your major or declare a double major or minor, but others say it’s next to impossible :P</p>

<p>What are your thoughts?</p>

<p>Can’t say much about the other UCs, but Riverside is known for Business, Entomology, Creative Writing, Sociology, Engineering, and the entire science division always gets really great reviews from the students since it’s easier for them to interact with professors. We have a strong Computer Science program, too.</p>

<p>We’re also known for hiking, hot summers, pretty mountains, Botanical Gardens, and community service.</p>

<p>It’s pretty easy to change majors within UCR. You just have to meet with the academic adviser in your major you want to switch into. You’ll run into problems if it’s an impacted major like psych, but 9 times out of 10 your adviser can help you figure out alternate options.</p>

<p>I don’t know about other UCs, but at UCD you only have to wait one quarter and then get signatures from your current adviser and the adviser for the major you want to switch to. If you’re switching colleges, you have to get signatures from your current and new dean on top of that.</p>

<p>Ya i looked into Riverside and they have pretty decent BIZ program. Also wondering when they can open their med school…</p>

<p>UCI and UCLA are both very well known for theater. UCI is very strong in all of the arts, especially dance. Also sciences.</p>

<p>IDK any UC that’s difficult to change majors in (unless you want something impacted and high competitive). i.e. you pretty much go on a website and click a button to change your major at UCSD.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>And it instantly changes without approval. That’s what I call easy.</p>

<p>What about the Cal Polys?</p>

<p>both cal polys are very good at engineering, comparable to that of ucsd-ucla-ucb.</p>