What is life like at Phillips Exeter?

My daughter is going to Phillips Exeter next year and I was hoping to grasp on life at Exeter. She is coming from California and is very social so want to make sure there is balance.

Do ask if she will be in an emergency double or triple. They’ve been over enrolling and turn singles into doubles and doubles into triples. School is hard enough without living in a crowded closet.

Good to know - is there a good balance with social life and academics there

1 Like

I have heard that Exeter is what you make of it… like any school. She will have a fabulous time! Congrats on that!

2 Likes

A lot of kids spend considerable amount of time on EC. So it’s critical to have good time management and know how to prioritize and when to let something go. There’s no limit to what you can do, but there’s a limit on how much you can do.

1 Like

My son attends Exeter and is also from California. He has lots of friends and is happy with his social life but definitely spends more time on academics than he did in middle school. He is very happy at PEA. He typically spends Friday nights studying and in the dorms but goes out with friends on Saturday nights.

My daughter is wrapping up her Prep (Freshman) year at Exeter. It was good. There were moments where she was stressed and frustrated, but she made great friends and made the place her 2nd home. Feel free to reach out with questions.

Hello Sabre,
My daughter is thinking of going to EXTR. In terms of academic support, how would you describe the school?
TIA!

Am an exeter grad so happy to answer more specific questions if you have! Generally, like others have said though, the experience is what your daughter makes of it. Of course, if she intends to do well in her classes, there is a solid amount of work, but never more that is manageable. If she’s very social, they’ll be innumerable opportunities to do everything from hanging out in the dorm to more specialized clubs/groups.

Hi,

The resources are there, but like many large schools, the responsibility is on the child to take the initiative needed to take advantage of them. Thx.

1 Like

This cannot be emphasized enough. For the most part, bright kids entering schools like PE are not used to asking for help because they frankly haven’t needed it previously. It can be a real adjustment to understand that you need to get yourself to the academic skills center and teacher office hours.

2 Likes