What is the college matriculation like for the Loomis Chaffee school?

Lcdecisions23 is the one you want if you are following this thread.

Nice list.

Here’s Loomis talking up its LC Scholars program - let’s not pretend all these boarding schools don’t love to brag about elite college matriculation.

College Matriculation

Since 2012, LC Scholars have matriculated to highly-selective colleges and universities, including Brown, Colby, Dartmouth, Middlebury, Princeton, Pomona, University of Pennsylvania, University of Chicago, Stanford, Wellesley, Williams, and Yale.

3 Likes

i do enjoy seeing the “sports” commit part of it…def shows you the impact of sporting hook to certain schools

4 Likes

I agree. Helpful for all the ordinary bears!

1 Like

I think it’s important to realize that speculating pure matriculation lists and calling LC “not as impressive” without acknowledging the possible ECs and awards people do outside of other schools is baffling to me. Also to note is that we have had good acceptances, etc. as well. It’s not like we have no ivies.

4 Likes

Are you an LC Scholar?

No :sob::sob: TBH I don’t think it matters. LC scholars are cool but a lot of people who matriculated to ivies aren’t in the program.

This is incorrect. Loomis averages in the 20 percents to ivies (+MIT/stanford/etc) (like most peers nowadays). Back when I was a student it was in the 30s to 40s—but obviously, as with all admissions, it has become much more selective now.

I believe during the alumni zoom on the state of the school this year we were provided with a stat that 40% of students are attending institutions w sub 10% acceptance rates—which would make sense considering LACs, Top non-ivies (Duke, Gtown, etc.)

If anything, I think loomis secretly does rather well for admissions compared to other boarding schools that, based on my conversations with alumni parents, trustees, and college counselors, seem to have been struggling in recent years (struggling of course being a major exaggeration).

4 Likes

Also worth noting: MANY schools have moved away from publishing Matriculation lists bc of exactly these types of actions (comparing matriculation lists, jumping to conclusions based on acceptances). Honestly, the difference between 4 Harvard admits 1 year vs only 1 the next may be that 2 major legacies were in the class that year, or 3 athletes, or 4 strong students who REAd or 2 who chose MIT over Harvard. We will never know and speculation on this stuff is exactly what schools want to avoid. Deerfield also no longer publishes matriculation (neither do top NYC private schools and other boarding schools who, I assure you, are still sending PLENTY of kids to Ivies).

6 Likes

“Selective and Impressive.” This is how the Ten Schools Admission Organization describes the matriculation lists of its member schools. I guess it matters to them.

(Andover, Choate, Deerfield, Exeter, Hill, Hotchkiss, Lawrencevile, Loomis, St. Paul’s, Taft)

From the website: Outcomes - Ten Schools

Outcomes

Can I see the college list?

This is the first question that many families ask about when thinking about “outcomes.” The college matriculation lists within the Ten Schools are selective and impressive. While important information to have in your back pocket, our schools and your experience go way beyond a simple list.

circling back to this. As of right now we have had 10+ penn acceptances. 8 matriculation to penn. 6-8 brown acceptances. 4 matriculation to brown. more for cornell. 3 yales, etc.

2 Likes

Harvard Westlake in LA just published their matriculation list. Holy moly! 12 Harvard (with 4 more off the wait list before publication), 14 UChicago, 6 Brown, 9 Stanford, 10 Columbia, 12 NYU, 7 PENN, 9 Cal, 8 Cornel (low for them… usually 12-15), the list goes on. Only 2-3 Yale and Princeton… but I was told that Yale was the big accept last year… 12 or 13 with only 3 to Harvard. Usually, 75% of applicants are hooked, which leaves 25% not hooked… which I think is impressive. FYI: HW publishes their unhooked acceptance numbers. (legacy/athletic recruits). As much as I hate that place, I have to give them credit for being so transparent. To add to the OT’s question: I’d be curious to know LC’s non-hooked matriculation (as well as all the other Ten Schools). Most only list matriculations from the last FIVE years, not the previous year. That’s always been suspect to me.

1 Like

If all BS were as transparent I wonder how many fewer would apply to them? I mean every year we get people wandering in here asking about matriculation, believing it’s a thing/advantage. Imagine how many there are who never find their way here to be disabused of this notion?

Even many who wander in refuse to be disabused of the notion.

5 Likes