What is UC Regents?

I know there is a Regent’s scholarships but I’m confused to as what it entails. The descriptions of the scholarship are kind of vague on the individual university’s websites, but apparently you get a bunch of privileges with it.
I think there is probably a cutoff GPA/test score before it becomes unlikely that you get the scholarship. Does anyone have any anecdotal evidence? Someone you know whose stats got them this scholarship? Yourself?
There’s also something I’ve heard about called an honor’s program, what is that?
Sorry for all the questions! I’m just really frazzled right now

UC Regents Scholarships and amounts:
Amount: Awards vary by campus and are not transferable if you transfer to another UC campus.

• UC Berkley $2,500
  • UC Davis $7,500
  • UC Irvine $2,500
  • UCLA $2,000
  • UC Merced $7,000
  • UC Riverside $10,000
  • UC San Diego $2,000
  • UC Santa Barbara $6,000
  • UC Santa Cruz $5,000
    In addition, certain perks are provided to Regents recipients: priority registration, extended library privileges, honors dormitories, faculty mentorship, and others, dependent upon campus.
    Number of Scholarships Awarded: Varies annually—students in the top 1-2% of the applicant pool are considered for the scholarship.
    Eligible Students: Entering freshman or transfer student who demonstrate academic excellence (based upon GPA, standardized test scores, and other academic criteria). Must be a US Citizen, Permanent Resident or CA Dream Act Student. Students must be enrolled full time and maintain a 3.25 GPA in order to continue receiving the scholarship.

Regarding Honors programs: Each school has different criteria for their Honors programs. For some UC’s, you are automatically accepted into the program if you meet their criteria and for other’s you need to apply with a separate application.

Here is a link for UCI’s Campus wide Honors program but you can check school’s website for information: http://honors.uci.edu/chp/

@Gumbymom not sure if I heard correct but is it true usually a handful of kids from each high school get regent invites and then only 1 per school gets to be regent scholar? My question would be if that kid was chosen to be regent scholar and doesn’t end up going to the college that is offering them the regent scholar, then do the university pick another student to fill that spot?

@happypeasinapod: First of all not all UC’s invite prospective Regent scholars. Some applicants are just automatically selected. Second, I am not aware there is a limit by HS for the # of Regent scholars. No another student is selected to replace a student that does not accept the offer.