What is your reading "style"?

Since I retired almost a year ago I’ve been reading much more than when I was working. The other day I finished a book and started thinking about my next read. Then I started thinking about my reading “style” and what others’ style might be. Thought it might be a fun thread.

Things like:

Do you read for hours at a clip? Or just a short burst, like a chapter here and there? (I tend to read for longer periods at a time)

Do you linger over the words and phrases? (I know I shouldn’t but I tend to rush through, to advance through the story)

Do you form storylines in your head or can you remain neutral and let the plot play out? (I tend to guess where things are going)

Kindle/e-books or paper? (Kindle… Which I love but the other day I realized that sometimes I forget the title of what I’m reading!)

After finishing a book…do you immediately jump to a new read? Or mull over the one you’ve just finished? (I usually am not ready for a new one for a couple days)

Do you stick to either fiction/non-fiction or coffee a little of both? (Mostly fiction)

Need a quiet spot? Or can you read anywhere? (anywhere for me, although I don’t read in bed before sleep)

Any other interesting things?

I know from the “Good Books” thread that there’s a lot of CC readers… Just curious!

1 Like

I tend to read in bursts and once I start, I try to finish the book (so am cautious about starting). Some books lend themselves to stopping here and there, especially nonfiction. Mysteries I have a very difficult time stopping so I try to start earlier in the day so I can complete before sleeping.

I prefer light, happy reading mostly. Things are grim enough in the daily news.

2 Likes

I love to read. A great book I will devour and not want to put it down. Other books I will read a few chapters before bed.

I tend to enjoy re-reading books so typically the first time through, I don’t pause and linger because I’m too anxious to see where the book goes.

I do try to predict what is going to happen.

Kindle all the way so I can always have a book with me.

I can read anywhere, any time.

2 Likes

I much prefer paper books from the library but am gradually trying to adjust to electronic books.

1 Like

Until I retired from medicine I am sorry to say I really never read any books for pleasure. I would always feel guilty that I should be reading the latest medical journals or books, which I did.

It has been 5 years now and I have a book I am always reading. I have been in 2 bookclubs and have really enjoyed them. I tend to like self help books but any type of book is fun for me. I like paperbacks and will buy them. I really think hardbacks are bulky. Kindle is OK but I don’t retain the info as well and have to go back to remember who is who. The good news is I can search that info easier. I read one book at a time and about an hour at a time, mostly in a comfortable chair in the evenings.

1 Like

That’s interesting, it would never occur to me to re-read a book (on purpose, anyway :joy:). But now that I think about it, that would be a great way to really savor a book that I enjoyed, but hurried through.

I only read paper - mostly borrowed from the library. I only read one book at a time (I know people who have a paper book and audio book in the car going at the same time.) I never, ever reread a book (even when a book group chooses something I read years ago). I mostly read in the evenings, but also read while riding my exercise bike in the morning. I always finish a book once I start it. I read mostly fiction, will read non-fiction for book groups. My goal, which I have accomplished the past ten years or so, is to read 100 books a year. I keep track of my books on Goodreads (giving them a star rating but not writing a review).

1 Like

I read like I breathe, all the time. I panic if I don’t have a stack of books ready to be read. I buy hardcovers, read them and then give them away or take them to the thrift store. I read everywhere any time but I always read in bed before going to sleep. Whether I read a lot or a little at a time has everything to do with the pace of the book. As soon as I finish one book I start another. There’s usually a few hours when I’m carrying around two books in case I finish the first one and need to jump right into the next. I don’t savor books, I devour them.

2 Likes

When I read books it’s in bursts. It doesn’t take me long to finish them - a couple of days to a week. My preference is for non-fiction either travel or autobiographical, but sometimes I will read fiction. In the old days I loved Dick Francis mysteries, but there haven’t been any other fiction authors I’ve clung to.

But now most of my reading is keeping caught up on local newspapers and the few magazines I subscribe to. Our own travels have those piling up and forever on my “To Do” list. I have a few books ready and waiting - the top of the pile is, “First They Killed My Father” by Loung Ung because I read the sequel first (it’s one I kept from my mom’s stash cleaning out her house).

My plan is to take 3-4 books with me for our Feb in the USVI and enjoy them on our deck.

2 Likes

I love to read! I have a small spiral notebook with a running list of titles I want to read and I get recommendations from friends, magazines, or interviews on tv. I used to hit my local library, grab 4 books at a time, and go back when I needed to switch them out but that was “before”. Covid changed my library to pick-up only for a long time and it felt like a hassle. I dusted off D’s old Kindle and have been using that with my library’s lending system. It works great but I miss the feel of the paper and the sound of the pages. I keep thinking it might be time to head back to the library but then infection rates start going up again so I hold off.

I read in bed every night and other times throughout the day. Stopping when it isn’t the end of a chapter causes me anxiety so I always see how long the next one is before deciding to keep going or not. With the Kindle, I can see how much time is left in the book and when it is down to an hour, I curl up in a sunny spot in my house and finish it off.

2 Likes

I read one book at a time (DH usually reads two) and since I work all day, I usually read at night and always before I go to bed (DH got us awesome little clip on lights, we are nerdy)

I have a shelf of not-read yet books, and I choose from those, since our library has lots of covid hurdles. I buy almost all our books used, either from Goodwill or somebody on amazon.

if a book is really wonderful, maybe I wait a day to start a new one. I don’t read military history, or biographies, but I’ll try just about anything else. Have been concentrating on reading more BIPOC authors, reading more about Asia when I realized I don’t know much about it. I try to have a distinct goal of a day’s pages for really long books, but otherwise I just make sure I read at least a bit, every day. (If only I were so dedicated to exercise!)

1 Like

I have a long list of books on hold from the library. Feels like a gift when I get the notification that one is available.

3 Likes

I read all of the time! Now that I am retired I read a ridiculous amount. Most of my reading is library books although I sometimes buy books my library does not carry. Although I prefer an actual physical book, I can easily transition to ebooks which are great for travel (I load my I pad before trips).

2 Likes

Reading style depends upon the reason for reading any particular book. If for pleasure, then I just go from beginning to end in one sitting.

I usually carry a book in my bag so any time I have a few idle moments (waiting rooms, lunch break, car pool dropoff line) I will read for a few minutes. I try to read just before bed but often fall right to sleep. On the weekends I will read for longer stretches.

I usually rush through a story but every now and then a sentence or phrase catches my attention and I reread it a few times.

I am still in the physical book camp, but am not opposed to reading e-books.

I always have a “to read next” stack so as soon as I finish one, I jump to the next. So many books, so little time!

Mostly fiction, with the occasional memoir thrown in.

I can (and do) read anywhere.

1 Like

I do love to read! I actually spend my work hours immersed in child literacy to make sure that future generations are readers! :slight_smile:

Since COVID I mainly read on my Kindle. God bless my Kindle those first few months! As soon as I finish a book I go on Goodreads, search my “want to read” list and find an available title on Libby.

Also like reading bound books, but the convenience of Kindle for securing books and taking them along with me can’t be beat.

It does take me awhile to get through a book because I don’t have much leisure time. This time of year I try to carve out a 1/2 hour in the evening to read instead of tv. Since it’s dark earlier this time is available. I will also read a little in bed if my eyes aren’t too heavy. I’d love to have more time but admit that it is sometimes I need to “make time” because there are always other tasks personal or related to our home that I feel I need to do before I read.

I occasionally buy books. A bucket list retirement item is to write a children’s book. I have a start to an idea, but not the brain space to devote.

2 Likes

I know I have a Goodreads account… Maybe I’ll start using that again to keep better track of titles I want to read. I end up hearing of a title, going on Libby, finding it not available and putting it on hold. I think my Libby only allows 10 titles on your holds list. Not the best system, I guess :roll_eyes:

I love Goodreads to track not only the books I WANT to read, but those I’m completed. Also good for then looking back and seeing what authors I loved (according to my book ratings) and seek more of their work.

2 Likes

—Do you read for hours at a clip? Or just a short burst, like a chapter here and there?

For me, it depends on the book and how much time I have. Sometimes I will sit and read for a long period of time, like if I’m at the beach, on a long car ride or just have a lot of free time. If a book is really engrossing, I will put off other things so I can sit and read.

—Do you linger over the words and phrases?

This depends on the author’s writing style and the plot. Beautifully written works I will linger over, but something like a mystery or plot driven book, I will read quickly.

—Do you form storylines in your head or can you remain neutral and let the plot play out?

Depends on the plot. I often guess where things are headed.

—Kindle/e-books or paper?

I’ve had a Kindle for years, but did not use it much, mainly if I was traveling via plane. I like to have a selection of books with me when traveling so a Kindle made that easier. But I always preferred a regular book. However, when my library closed early in the pandemic, I was never so thankful to have a Kindle so I still had access to library books. Now I’m having a hard time adjusting to holding a regular book, esp larger ones (right now I’m reading a hard copy of The Lincoln Highway and it is huge!). I will most likely continue to read mostly Kindle books unless my library only carries a hard copy. Plus, I like to have a book with me at all times. A Kindle is easier to keep in my purse than some books.

—After finishing a book…do you immediately jump to a new read? Or mull over the one you’ve just finished?

I usually start a new book right away. I’m an avid reader and have too many books I want to read!

—Do you stick to either fiction/non-fiction or coffee a little of both?

I read many different genres.

—Need a quiet spot? Or can you read anywhere?

I can and do read anywhere.

I use Goodreads as a catalogue of books I have read. I rate every book I read and also try to write a least a few sentences of review to remind me what I liked or didn’t like. My review is not so much for other people to read, but more for when a friend is looking for a book or we are discussing books so that I can decide whether to recommend it to someone.

I also have a lot of “shelves” and catalogue books by subject matter so if I can’t remember a title or author of a specific book I read, but I remember the book was set in China, I can go to my Asia shelf and narrow it done until I find the right one.

I know there are certain things about Goodreads that people don’t like, but it has really been a useful tool for me.

2 Likes