What kind of college?

<p>Is Hampshire College close to Umass and Amherst College? What can you tell me about this school?</p>

<p>apparently...theres a really loose curriculum and you can major in ..nearly anything. i think of it as a hippie school. dont ask why. i applied. i sort of liked the freedom</p>

<p>Well, Hampshire College is also located in Amherst, so yes, fairly close. :-) It's really similar to the top LACs in its "independent project" requirement and a curriculum that lets you choose what you want, rather than requiring a bunch of stupid general classes.</p>

<p>Hampshire is part of what is called the 5 college consortium. (Amherst, smith, mt. Holyoke, umass, and Hampshire.) These 4 colleges and one university collaborate and students at any of them can take classes at any of the others with very little difficulty. Hampshire was developed to have an experimental pedagogy (method and philosophy of education). They do not give grades, but rather the professors know you so well they write personal evaluations. I went to a High school like this (Waldorf: but we got grades as well) and it worked out great. The biggest thing about Hampshire is YOU MUST ME SELF MOTIVATED!!! Hampshire can be an amazing, wonderful place for those who truly are motivated to take control of their own education. If you are not, by the nature of their system they will not force you to do (almost) anything, you must do it on your own. That is not to say they will not help you....if you go to them and make the first step, I think they will give you the most help a professor can give...but if you don’t make the first step...you can get lost
Ok
Good luck
Jack</p>