What NOT to Wear...at Bama... ;)

<p>Thanks for the replies and Souther Proper shirts look like what he would wear…definitely noticed and agree the shorter khakis are coming back in and there is NO WAY my son would wear those! He likes his khakis to the knee but will grab a few new ones that are a bit shorter than what he is used to.<br>
Southern Tide t-shirts and polos are popular in Charleston SC/Chesapeake Bay area …didn’t know if it was popular at UA. Really comfortable t-shirts!</p>

<p>Yep…DD’s boyfriend and the guys in his fraternity wear Southern Tide shirts as well.</p>

<p>It’s always interesting when I see what’s popular at Bama, I return home can’t even find the same types of clothes, let alone a large selection of them. Even at the university I’m attending this summer, I don’t believe I’ve seen anybody wearing the styles of clothing that are popular at UA. Here, it’s a t-shirt and jeans, cargo shorts, or athletic wear. That said, one has to look at the lifestyles and relative income levels of different schools and regions. I like nice things, but you’d be hard pressed to see me wearing short shorts and a fishing shirt. :)</p>

<p>That said, have you student wear whatever they feel comfortable wearing. I’m of the opinion that one can wear just about anything as long as they are confident in what they are wearing. I tend to prefer more of a California style myself, but do I take pride in my large amount of UA-themed clothing and am often seen wearing one of my Crimson Tide t-shirts.</p>

<p>I return home can’t even find the same types of clothes, let alone a large selection of them. Even at the university I’m attending this summer, I don’t believe I’ve seen anybody wearing the styles of clothing that are popular at UA. Here,</p>

<p>I really think that some of the stuff mentioned here is what some Greeks wear. If you were to visit USC in Calif, you’d see Greeks wearing some of the same stuff.</p>

<p>If you went into a Lacoste store or a Polo section of a major dept store, you’d see some of these styles and colors (bright pastels and such). </p>

<p>That said, most of Bama’s campus is not Greek, and many do not wear such preppie stuff. And, I agree…many will not wear the shorter shorts. My boys would refuse. Absolutely.</p>

<p>And…heck…if you wandered over to Blount or Mallet Assembly, I wonder if you’d find a preppie in the bunch. I know that certain majors tend to have more Greeks, hence more preppie-dressed kids…for instance the B-school has more Greeks…Engineering, math, and physics have less. I think if you split the campus on the diagonal going from the upper northwest to the southeast, you’d almost see two different styles of clothes. Those on the left side of diagonal being more preppie, those on the right, more casual style.</p>

<p>And…I really think that summer school (on any campus) is going to be FAR less casual than what is normally worn…simply because at summer school, you go to class, and that’s it. You’re not expecting to be seen by anyone…lol. I’ll be on Bama’s campus next Friday (a non Bama Bound day) and I’ll check out what summer school kids are wearing.</p>

<p>M2k…I think you are right about the discussion here and clothes mentioned being worn by Greeks. It got me thinking back to what types of dress we saw when we visited. Generally shorts, t-shirts and tennis shoes or Sperrys for the guys, shorts, jeans t-shirts and flip flops or Sperrys for the girls. I recall seeing what is commonly referred to as the “Greek uniform”, especially on the girls. Since DD already wore that type of dress she just continued to dress that way , it was a smooth transition.
As far as seeing all Greeks dress similarly across the USA I would disagree. I am quite involved with my sorority on a national level and so during recruitment and the school year I get to visit a variety of campuses. UA, Ole Miss and the South seem to have the more “preppy” styles and look that is unique to them. Here in the Midwest the girls dress up a little more when going to class. They do not wear dresses to game days and in fact one of the swaps at MU for my particular sorority is called “Game Day Dress Swap” where the girls dress as they think their southern counterparts do for game day. When I visited this chapter in April they had lots of questions about what the girls in the “south” wore. You do see the same hipster bags, some Vera Bradley but not as much , NO monogramming at all and they didn’t even know what Lilly Pulitzer or David Yurman was. I have not visited the California schools (get to do that this fall) but in NYC and the East Coast I have noticed more “trendy” dressing and also the dark colors scheme…depending upon which campus you visit. South of DC you get the more Southern style again…not sure about Florida.
As for guys…the main thing we were AMAZED about was that they all wore belts!!! Not all campuses have that luxury! When we visit DH’s frat at MU the guys seemed to vary in jeans and cargos, some guys here wear khakis but not any where near the “preppy” look you see in the South. Hair is different as well for guys as you travel the different campuses.
I bet summer is more casual…it will be fun to hear what you find. DD arrived home wearing her shorts and over-sized t-shirts. She gets lots of looks in our suburb but if we travel over into Kansas not so much.
Finally DH bought me the cutest book, it’s called “a southern belle primer or why Paris Hilton will never be a Kappa Kappa Gamma”. It’s a cute read and for you “northerners” a little tutorial to life in the south (although some of it should be taken tongue in cheek :slight_smile: ). I think it might have been mentioned here before…but I have thoroughly enjoyed it and am sent copies to my older girls, nieces and sisters-in-laws.</p>

<p>I should apologized for chiming in so much on the clothing thing…it’s just that “we girls” at my house are what my DH calls “clothing addicts” (well actually he calls it something else but I was afraid to put that on here). So that being said, I just can’t help myself. Copies of In Style, Lucky, Vogue, Glamour, Marie Claire are everywhere at our house. It is fun to see the different styles and trends evolve and we are fascinated at seeing what everyone is wearing. So sorry if I’ve become obnoxious that way…</p>

<p>I agree with aphi about the midwest and northern girls totally differ in their style of dress. I’ve decided that my DD is a Southern Belle Cupcake with New York City icing. I honestly don’t think she’s worn two items of clothing that she took to Bama this summer. At home and school, she’s always in “very vogue” outfits and gets complimented everywhere she goes about her fashion. I agree regarding the Coach or michael kors hipsters as well. All the girls here sport them. Lilly Pulitzer in the south and Betsey Johnson in the North…In our house; tons of Betsey and 1 Lilly. Again, just a difference.
BIG difference in our local: Vera Bradley, anything swirly and paisley, and monogrammed is seen as “older”, as in Senior citizen. Maybe it’s because Vera Bradley is just down the road from here, I don’t know. If you’re over 40yo around here, it’s a fair assumption that you will own at least two VB bags. If you’re under 40yo, you won’t touch it with a 10ft pole. :wink:
Sperry’s: my DD wouldn’t be caught dead in them…for her it would be Coach, TB flats all the way.
FYI, DD was told by her roomies that she didn’t wear enough make-up…I thought that was hilarious. DD has flawless porcelain skin and that is not “appealing” to southern girls. She’s more of a New Yorker that way (less is more, and au natural). She had a pic posted on FB where she was wearing bright pinkish-red lipstick and lots of eyeliner. I had to inquire! She said that the roomies did her make-up for the evening. Again, hilarious! At home, she’s known as the “make-up artist” and all the girls beg her to do their make-up for Prom and such.<br>
Having stated the above, I believe that DD is enjoying the differences at Bama and trying out new styles. Every pic is of her wearing tempo shorts and an oversized t-shirt…
One more recognizable difference…during a meeting with Dr. Sharpe and President Witt, the “southern girls” were wearing very patterned wrap or belted dresses w/ chunky wedges and my DD had on a very chic black dress and TB flats. I noticed but nobody else probably thought twice about it :wink:
WEAR what you want. As stated before, WEAR IT WITH CONFIDENCE. One of the most appealing things to me about a place is the variety of people and styles. Gets a bit drab when they all look the same.
During our last visit on campus, we saw a very handsome upperclassmen walking across campus. He caught our eye (mine and the daughters) first because he was quite attractive, then we noticed his “shorter than we’re use to shorts”. Let’s say, the shorts were the only thing we verbally commented to each other on. Nothing negative, we were just like “wow, wasn’t expecting that.” Too funny!</p>

<p>ONE more thing: What about skinny jeans? a YES or NO for “southern campuses”</p>

<p>Staples in every midwest/northern girls’ closet: skinny jeans (white, black, or any shade), flowy tops and flats.</p>

<p>I don’t recall seeing any of that at Bama. Maybe because it was too hot for jeans.</p>

<p>saw the short shorts on the guys when we were down this year, it’s like DH used to wear when we were in college in Richmond in the 80s. I understand trends coming and going but there is NO way ever that you will see DS1 sporting shorties. The fish shirt thing is pushing it. For that matter, any Tshirt with a cutsey logo that can be seen on multiple guys is a no-go. Have you seen the big pony on the newer polo shirts? ridiculous :slight_smile:
Bottom line, wear what you like and feel comfortable in.</p>

<p>Oh I agree that Midwest Greek wear is different.</p>

<p>I went to college in California. I was in a sorority (my sorority is on Bama’s campus), and in California, the Greeks can be preppy…which is why I mentioned how preppy the Greeks can be at USC.</p>

<p>Anyway…my real point is that while some kids (at any school - but especially large schools) will be more “into” clothes/latest styles/brands, there will be many that don’t care at all about these things - so no one must feel that he/she will not fit in. </p>

<p>Bama definitely has its “Granola crowd”, it’s “artsy purple hair crowd,” it’s “thrift-store treasure hunters,” it’s “I can barely cover my school costs crowd,” and the “I don’t care what I look like crowd.” lol </p>

<p>I’ve been on Bama’s campus many times on regular school days (especially last year). I think the one thing that is the biggest standout is how pretty the girls are. lol The clothes are mostly just typical college fare.</p>

<p>The nice thing about large schools is that you’re going to have a broad variation of clothing styles. :)</p>

<p>*As for guys…the main thing we were AMAZED about was that they all wore belts!!! *</p>

<p>LOL…yes, even my kids wear belts…after all those years wearing Catholic school uniforms, I think they are just “mentally programmed” to put on a belt. They see loops and think…belt.</p>

<p>However, no one is really going to know if you have a belt on or not if you don’t tuck your shirt in.</p>

<p>We own multiple pairs of skinny jeans (not the ripped or distressed kind) and white jeans are VERY popular. I think it’s just too warm for jeans right now. Flowy tops are for “going out” :slight_smile: also casual sundresses and cowboy boots, or wedges…wedges seem to be big. We have been buying “going out” tops recently…and rompers with little crocheted vests…oh my here I go again!<br>
I agree big school equals diversity which is good…everyone will find their own crowd to fit in with :).</p>

<p>ugh the skinny jeans, S has them and wears them all the time, they are a very NY-rocker look for guys. He alternates that with a more preppy look. I suggested he not bring them to Bama, as they might not be understood, but I see that fell on deaf ears as he was wearing them when I picked him up at the airport from BB. It’s great that he has the confidence to be himself. I didn’t think he would even bring jeans as it was so hot, but he wears them in the summer anyway. I blame his sister for this as she is a designer and he gets 50% of his clothes from her. You should have seen him at graduation in his Hugo Boss suit.</p>

<p>I would assume he will be more casual at Bama. Years of wearing polo shirts and khakis(and of course a belt) for school get tiring. I would be surprised to ever see him in athletic shorts though. He did mention something about cowboy boots when he came back from BB. He met a couple of guys from Texas, maybe they were wearing them.</p>

<p>I did pick him up some more woven button-downs as he likes to layer them over T’s. I did get him unlined LL Bean boots for the rain for xmas. He wore them up here over the winter with heavy wool socks. I love-love the Brooks Brothers preppy look, particularly the pastel shorts. Perhaps I will “surprise” him with a pair of those. </p>

<p>If he is not in any of the special programs is a sport coat,shirt/tie and grey flannels sufficient to bring down for Bama for any special occassions, or does he need a suit. If he does decide to do any frat stuff will he need a suit?</p>

<p>He met a couple of guys from Texas, maybe they were wearing them.</p>

<p>LOL…if I recall the numbers, I think that there are about 1000 kids from Texas at Bama…so there would be some cowboy-boot wearing guys. lol</p>

<p>I have some cute Brighton “cowboy style” boots, but with the typical Brighton hearts on them, I don’t think they are quite the same. ;)</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>I LOVED that book! I grew up on the West Coast, and then married a southerner. Boy, was I in for a surprise. Wish someone had given me that little book when I got engaged! I happened upon that book in a little gift shop in Raleigh, NC.</p>

<p>I see all the talk about rain boots- is it really rainy in the winter? Are their big puddles and it really is good to have this or is it just a fashion statement? How cold does it get and how warm are the dorms/classrooms? D is on the thin side, has low blood pressure issues, and gets cold very easily.</p>

<p>I think you and your D will be pleased with the weather at Bama! Summers tend to be a bit hot and humid but coming from the Midwest were accustomed to this.
I have never heard DD complain about how cold or warm it was in her dorm room or the classrooms (and I would have heard!) so I am thinking it was ok. When I visited her in Tutweiller on many occasions I found the room to be “comfortable” at all times . I was trying to remember the classroom we were in at Bama Bound and I don’t remember it being excessively cold due to the air conditioning.
As for rain boots I think the correct answer is both …it sometimes rains and therefore my DD wears rain boots (she did this at home too) and she also wears them as a fashion statement. Again I don’t remember big puddles but sometimes when a squall of a t-storm comes through it might take a few minutes for the water to drain. It is not really rainy and the temps seemed to be what I would call moderate for the most part. Those of you who live in Alabama might be able to quote weather stats better :). In the late Fall I do know that DD would tell me she would pull on a fleece and some leggings to wear to class in the morning because it was a little “chilly” but most time had shed them for her afternoon classes. I made her take her winter dress coat back after Thanksgiving and she did wear it a few times. If your DD gets cold easily I would suggest layers…that way she can put on or take off to remain comfortable.</p>

<p>Militarymom: it rains. Not Pacific Northwest kind of rain, but when it’s warmer there’s always a chance for a pop up thunderstorm and there’s virtually no chance for accumulating snow so that precipitation falls as rain as well. D got her money’s worth out of her rain boots and she would have rather been wearing her Toms :)</p>

<p>As for the cold, January and February can be cold but I’ve found that Tuscaloosa runs 5-10 degrees warmer than Nashville in the winter. There’s usually a week or two where D needs her heavier NorthFace, but then it’s back to high’s in the 50’s. I’ve never heard D1 complain about being cold but she is warm natured.</p>

<p>Regarding rain boots – it doesn’t rain every day in the winter, but there will be spurts where it rains for several days. I definitely needed footwear for the rain and a raincoat during my years on campus in Alabama – and was surprised not to need them nearly as often when I started law school at SMU. (Back in the mid 1980s males and females alike at Alabama wore duck shoes, though the guys wore neutral colors and the girls wore brights. My raincoat was blue and green and featured whales – think Preppy Handbook.) The quad in particular can be pretty soggy. Basically it rains during the season that colder areas of the country might experience snow. The advent of buses may have made the need for rain gear less critical, but once I knew that my daughter was headed to Alabama, rain boots were one of the first items on my packing list.</p>

<p>Hey “payingforcollege”…I think I had that same rain coat:)! As for “duck shoes” DD has a cute plaid pair from Sperry…the kids still wear them :).</p>