What NOT to Wear...at Bama... ;)

<p>just noticed they have a houndstooth wedge too</p>

<p>Those are sweet Parent56: I’ll be showing those to D in a few minutes. Haven’t looked at Spiegels in years!</p>

<p>me either robd, i actually thought it was out of business, but was searching for wedding clothes a few months ago and found they were still around. i like their linen collection and bought a few things
but thought those flats would look cute for some of the D’s here when they wear those sundresses.</p>

<p>Just back from Bama Bound and happy to report that son was just fine with his tshirt and shorts. He didn’t feel underdressed at all. Not that he would have cared, anyway. The kids were all supernice and he made many new friends. </p>

<p>One recommendation one of the parents ambassadors did make was to bring rain boots to school. It apparently rains there a good bit, and they joked that even though they did not have to go to school in the snow, your child will be required to go to class in the rain and should dress accordingly.</p>

<p>I know that the girls wear fashion rain boots, but I’ve never seen guys wear rain boots. I know that the Sperrys are supposed to be waterproof, so maybe the boys just rely on those.</p>

<p>i don’t think sperrys are necessarily waterproof. they are made to hold up in water conditions, but i don’t think they will actually keep your feet dry.</p>

<p>^^</p>

<p>Probably true…but I still don’t think boys wear rain boots at Bama.</p>

<p>Yes, those rain boots, doubt son will wear them, but will try to send him with a pair. Will send multiple pairs of tennis shoes. </p>

<p>I know kids like to wear flip flops, but if your kid is going to have labs, they will have to wear closed toed shoes. So make sure they do bring along at least one pair of tennis shoes, if not more, since tennis shoes do take a long time to dry out.</p>

<p>yeah - i don’t see boys wearing rain boots.</p>

<p>what i remember about college is that when it rains you get wet! i wore a rain coat, but the bottoms of my pants and my shoes always got soaked.</p>

<p>Yes the girls wear the fashion rainboots! Just asked D what the best grad gift she recieved and she said the “most used” was a super sturdy umbrella! She said it rains so hard that sometimes it feels like rains upside down (guessing rain & wind combination)</p>

<p>I also got her a fold up rain poncho for her back pack. She was not pleased with the potential fashion statement but I told her I was more concerned about her laptop getting wet… she also used the poncho! If bad weather was predicted she did not take her laptop!!</p>

<p>There are also really cute houndstooth rainboots out there. One brand is Chooka, Target also has them but I hear the rain gets in… which sort of defeats the purpose!!</p>

<p>yeah - i don’t think boys would wear rain boots.</p>

<p>what i remember about college is that when it rains you get wet! i wore a rain coat, but the bottoms of my pants and my shoes always got soaked.</p>

<p>When it rained, I wore flip flops, shorts, and a raincoat. I also bought some lightweight pants from Adidas that I would wear with some sperrys when it was cold outside. Yea, that wasn’t the most fashionable, but i was cold and that dried quickly</p>

<p>D has the pair of houndstooth rainboots from Target & they’ve worked fine for her. Of course, she’s only had to walk from the HS parking lot into the school, not across campus ;)</p>

<p>I don’t know if I’ve ever seen more than the occasional guy wearing rain boots while on campus, especially the black rubber ones. Flip flops* will work if you don’t want to ruin your shoes, but make sure you won’t end up twisting your ankle in the process. While not recommended for all-day (or if you plan on entering a dining hall), some people do go barefoot in the rain a la Fred Flintstone. Don’t try doing that on hot pavement though.</p>

<p>*Crocs would also work, but are not considered fashionable in many circles.</p>

<p>What to wear at tour and meetings. I’m sure it will be incredibly hot in June, will nice shorts and a polo be ok?</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>Sure…shorts and a polo (or decent T shirt) will be fine.</p>

<p>When will you be touring?</p>

<p>Will you be contacting Jami Gates at Honors to set up other appts? If so, give her your tour time and intended major and she can set up other appts.</p>

<p>jami gates 205-348-5599 <a href=“mailto:jami.n.gates@ua.edu”>jami.n.gates@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>We are going on June 29th, very excited. I have contacted Jami per your great thread on what to do and are awaiting a schedule from her for Honors College, CBHP, dept meetings and hopefully a tour of honors housing. Do I go into the meetings/ appointments with him? It is not like interviews, right? I just have to keep from piping up when they ask him a question.</p>

<p>Certainly parents go along on visits/appts. That’s pretty typical. They’re not interviews. Feel free to ask some questions, but if you prefer, you might want to give your child some ideas of questions to ask.</p>

<p>Many of the guys (at least the frat ones) tend to wear duck boots, I think those may be waterproof…but I’m not sure.</p>

<p>Do you mean like the Ugg Duck boots?</p>

<p>[UGG</a> Muscovy at Zappos.com](<a href=“Ugg muscovy black leather ugg + FREE SHIPPING | Zappos.com”>Ugg muscovy black leather + FREE SHIPPING | Zappos.com)</p>