What’s the difference between applying as Physical Sciences/Undeclared vs. Undergraduate/Undeclared?

So…what’s the difference? =_=;;

Picking one over the other has no effect in regards to what classes/opportunities I can get during freshman year, correct? Is it just a way for the UCs to see what your interests are directed towards…? Does it effect admissions chances in any way (I should think not)?

I know what I want to major (chemistry) but am considering to apply undeclared anyways.

Thanks !!

This varies somewhat by UC but, if you KNOW you want to major in Chem, you should apply as such and let the chips fall where they may. If you THINK you might want to major in Chem, undeclared is completely appropriate.
Applying Physical Science will put you in the right college and send you down the right GE path.

Thanks for the reply @NCalRent! I KNOW I want to major in Chem, but my parents are very determined that I apply undeclared. I’m okay with doing this for most of the UCs I’m applying to (UCI and UCLA, neither of which I care about in the least), but I’m particularly interested in Cal’s College of Chemistry :slight_smile: and I’m worried that I wouldn’t be able to get into CoC directly.

In regards to Cal, how would I be put in the right college, if the default college for undeclared undergrads is Letters and Sciences?

And are there really different GE paths?

There is no Undeclared in the College of Chemistry at UCB. You would apply as Undeclared to the College of L&S and then try to switch Colleges.
Info here about switching: https://chemistry.berkeley.edu/ugrad/prospective-students/change-of-college

If Chemistry is your choice major then apply direct admit and explain to your parents that this is the most efficient option. What is their rationale in going Undeclared?

I know a current freshman student at UCSB. He knew he wanted to major in physics, but he applied as undeclared last year. He claims now that if he had applied as a physics major instead of undeclared, he would have been admitted directly to the major. But since he was admitted undeclared, he has to get through various lower division classes with a certain GPA before he can declare the physics major. And during that time, he has lower status for class registration. I have not tried to verify this information but I have no reason not to believe his story. Each campus is different, but if you know you want to major in chemistry, I think you should apply directly as a chemistry major for all of those UCs that claim to make L&S admission decisions without regard to intended major. The major exception is of course Berkeley with its college of chemistry situation.

Yes, which is one of the reasons why I started this thread. I figure that, assuming I’m admitted, I could work on my GE during freshman year and transfer to CoC before soph year.

They think that it’ll increase my chances of getting in. Their rationale:

Apply Undeclared → I’ll probably be accepted. I can try to get into CoC later on, and, besides, I’ll still have to pine through my GE requirements so it won’t really matter. They don’t see any perks of immediately being plugged into a department.

Apply as Chemistry major → I might be accepted, but I might NOT (especially with my subjects test scores…ew). If I’m rejected, I lose my chance of stepping foot in Cal’s CoC altogether (well, until grad school, anyways :wink: )

Ouch, okay that’s something to consider…especially with Cal’s giant class sizes.

BTW, is it true that applying Undeclared means that Berkeley won’t consider me for Regents?

Regarding the comment that you would have a better chance as Undeclared. Show your parents this link: http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/counselors/files/freshman-admission-matrix.pdf

There’s also a chem major in the college of letters and sciences at Berkeley:

https://chemistry.berkeley.edu/ugrad/degrees/chem/ba

So if you are admitted to letters and sciences and then are unable to transfer to college of chemistry, you can still major in chemistry.

@Gumbymom Thank you! I’ll definitely show this to them.

@rocket88 Thanks for the link :slight_smile: The chemistry degree through Letters and Sciences is a B.A., however, and I like the curriculum that CoC’s B.S. requires.