What Should I Do in Your Opinion?

<p>Hello -</p>

<p>I am going to study Aerospace Engineering.
I didn't get into the First Year Engineering at Purdue, so they put me as an "Alternate Choice of Study" student. (I might have applied too late..)</p>

<p>On the other hand, Iowa State accepted me (in Aerospace Engineering) within 24 hours, with a $9000/year scholarship without even doing the FAFSA at that time. </p>

<p>Should I go to Purdue, then "cross my fingers" I can transfer next year? And if I don't get in, I would have wasted 40K+.</p>

<p>Or should I go the safe route, take the Iowa State Offer, and spend about 19K a year?</p>

<p>Here are my stats I applied with:</p>

<p>GPA Weighted: 4.2
GPA Unweighted: 4.0</p>

<p>Math Courses: Algebra 1, Algebra 2, Geometry, Pre-Calculus, Trigonometry, and Calculus. All these classes had a 97 or above, and all Honors Courses.</p>

<p>Science Courses: Physics, Anatomy, Chemistry, Biology (All Courses had a 95 or above, all Honors Courses except Physics [didn't offer it at the time......])</p>

<p>Extra Curricular: Varsity Football (all 4 years), Varsity Basketball (All 4 years), Varsity Baseball (Junior Year), Varsity Tennis (Senior Year). Student Council Parliamentarian (Senior Year), and Class Representative (all 4 years, various positions)</p>

<p>ACT: 29</p>

<p>State of Residency: Texas (I have also gotten into UT - Austin and Texas A&M with the same situation as I have at Purdue)</p>

<ul>
<li>Happy Easter -</li>
</ul>

<p>If you really want to go to purdue, I’d do a year at Iowa state. Work hard and do well, then apply as a transfer studen if you don’t wish to remain at Iowa</p>

<p>Darius, Is the ‘alternate choice of study’ in the engineering college or are you placed in the ‘undergraduate studies program’ which is the undecided major? My suggestion is to contact a student advisor at Purdue. 1. Find out what the admission requirements are to transfer into the program. 2.Can you take the ‘first year engineering’ classes w/o being in the program or will you have to start as a first year when you transfer in your second year? 3.If you transfer in how long will it take to graduate? 4. How much time and money will it cost to get your degree? 5. Is your family helping with the cost? If so, ask what they are able to contribute. UT and Texas A & M (College Station) are great schools too! Good luck and Happy Easter to you.</p>

<p>Thank you for your prompt reply!</p>

<p>@tma 585Z: Purdue does not allow transfers from outside colleges into Aerospace Engineering. If you wish to transfer into Aerospace Engineering, you must already be enrolled in Purdue.</p>

<p>@NancyMD: I didn’t get into the Engineering college at all. I’m stuck with the undecided major. The admissions requirements (guaranteed) is a 3.2 GPA with at least one math and one physics course for 1 semester. I’d be transfering into First Year Engineering in Spring 2013, not the Aerospace Program. So technically, I’d transfer the second year into first year engineering, costing additional money. I am out of state, so it would be about 40K/year, meaning I’d spend about 200K for a Bachelors (5 years X 40K). My father said he could help out a little, but he owns a small business here in Texas, so the income varies greatly month by month.</p>

<p>i see ut-austin is your best choice. it’s a great engineering school. and you’ll get in your major if you did well. so you’re motivated to work hard. save $$ and go horns!</p>

<p>Agree with itsme123. UT Austin Aero will be a fantastic price performer.</p>

<p>The University of Texas isn’t ranked in the top ten for Aerospace Engineering, while Purdue is ranked fourth. That’s why I’m not really considering UT as an option. Even A&M is ranked higher than UT in that regard.</p>

<p>Darius I’m in your EXACT situation, I got accepted to Purdue but not into the engineering program. I’m going to try to transfer in after a semester. I talked with an engineering counselor about what classes I would have to take first semester. They recomended physics 1 calc 1 eng and comm. let me know what you have decided to do!</p>