What should I put as my race for the Common App?

<p>I'm a quarter (25%) Puerto Rican. My father is half, grandfather was full, and great-grandmother was an immigrant from there. We have documentation to prove it, I guess, though I doubt anyone is going to hunt us down for it, haha. I have a Puerto Rican last name as well. </p>

<p>How should I write this on the Common App? Should I identify as Hispanic at all?</p>

<p>My school's database identifies me as "white," but I suppose I could have that changed if the 25% thing is valid.</p>

<p>Check off both “white” and “Hispanic”. That’s the most honest way to do it while still benefiting from affirmative action. Don’t put specific percentages unless someone asks you that in an interview or something. They’ll just assume you’re mixed-race (which you are).</p>

<p>I agree with mmmgirl; put both. (:</p>

<p>Thank you!</p>

<p>This has been moved to the Hispanic students forum. Please read post #1 of the Definition sticky thread.</p>

<p>Ethnicity (Hispanic) is separate from race; Hispanics can be of any race(s).</p>

<p>I’m Hispanic also, and for the next question I’m putting White. For my background, should I put Europe or check “other” and write in South America? My ancestors are European.</p>

<p>*Just to clarify, I checked off “Yes, Hispanic” and South America for the first question.</p>

<p>I wasn’t aware that the CA asked you to for a background for race. Truthfully, I think either is fine, and don’t think it will make difference. Another possibility is to mark other for background and write your country of origin in S. Am. </p>

<p>Anybody else, particularly if you’re applying year have thoughts?</p>

<p>[I don’t remember it from last year, and D2 would have had the same situation :(]</p>

<p>I was in a similar situation to cheshirecatlover (I applied somewhere ED).</p>

<p>I am Hispanic, so I obviously checked “yes” for that question and marked my designated ethnicity (PR).</p>

<p>But for the background, I was torn about what to do. The most accurate one was “White”, but I didn’t know where to go from there. I ended up checking “European” as best describing my background because I am fairly certain that somewhere far back my ancestors came to PR from Spain (I think my last name originated in Spain, although I have no documentation/proof that any of my ancestors actually came from Europe). This was really the only way I could think to answer the question. “South America” doesn’t really apply to PR. Hopefully the way I answered is fine, and I am not worried how it will impact my chances any way because I want to know that I got in (hopefully I do get in) based on merit not ethnicity.</p>

<p>And just to clarify: As opposed to the OP, I am not part Caucasian (in the sense that all of my grandparents grew up in PR not Europe and both my parents are 100% Hispanic), which was another source of confusion for me when I checked European.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>This is the problem with another member tacking their question on to an existing thread. cheshire, if you want to discuss your issue further please use the New Thread button to start your own thread.</p>

<p>I’m closing this one.</p>