What to do if no idea about major- JR in HS

<p>My son(JR in HS) is planning to go to Bama- he is just an average student- will not likely be getting a scholarhsip- we are instate- we were just talking at dinner about what he is interesed in majoring in at college and he has NO idea. he is good at math and science… but doesn’t really like much else and has no clue- any suggestions or tips?</p>

<p>My son, like your son, is also good at math and science. He is an upcoming Freshman at Bama. He is enrolled in Business but really has no idea what he wants to do. He will be on scholarship. He knows he has zero interest in engineering(too bad, the additional scholarship would have been great). My understanding is that if you go in undeclared, you are in Arts and Sciences, by default. Most of my son’s interests(except sports) seem to relate to the stock market, economy, etc.</p>

<p>Good website for ideas on math careers</p>

<p>[SIAM:</a> Thinking of a Career in Applied Mathematics?](<a href=“http://www.siam.org/careers/thinking.php]SIAM:”>Thinking of a Career in the Mathematical Sciences? | SIAM)</p>

<p>I would start with the basics. If your son won’t be coming in with a bunch of AP credits, then he needs to start with the basics…frosh comp, history, a math (Cal 1?)…that sort of thing. Then as he takes GE classes, he will find his niche.</p>

<p>Students who are undeclared become part of the College of arts and Sciences unless they choose a specific type of undeclared, such as engineering or business. Many departments don’t accept students into a major until they hold junior status and/or satisfy other prerequisites, so entering undeclared into a specific college isn’t much different.</p>

<p>I like to recommend starting in the business school and seeing where one should go from there. For example, I like STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) topics, but wanted to take a more applied approach to my studies. I became a triple major in finance, economics, and mathematics trough the business school. I still take theory courses, but have also learned a lot of very practical applications for what I’ve learned.</p>

<p>As m2ck mentioned, the first year of college for students not coming in with a bunch of college credit are core curriculum courses that apply to almost any major. If he is undecided between a few majors, have him schedule courses so that he has the most time to decide on a major while still graduating on time.</p>