What to wear for tour (boy)?

<p>I saw this addressed for girls on other threads, but not for guys: what would be considered appropriate dress for my son’s campus visit in April? He will be doing a general campus tour as well as visiting the Honors College, with details currently being worked out by Allison Verhane. This is our first trip to look at schools, so I really have no idea. He is a beach kid who lives in t-shirts and board shorts (yes, even to school), so I know I need to do some shopping. Thanks!</p>

<p>My son wore jeans and a non-graphic T-shirt (he has many band t-shirts, so ruled all this out). The guides were dressed in “business casual”</p>

<p>It was more important to me for my son to be comfortable. When he is comfortable, he is more relaxed and I thought he would converse easily. My feelings were, it isn’t an interview.</p>

<p>Allison is fantastic!</p>

<p>Well, it’s hard to guess what the weather will be like then. Could be sunny and warm, could be cold or even rain. </p>

<p>If it’s not hot, then probably some pants (maybe khakis) and a polo shirt. IF he’s meeting with honors faculty or other profs, then probably no shorts. </p>

<p>Bring some kind of hooded jacket in case it’s cold, windy, or rainy.</p>

<p>Flat front khakis, top siders or driving shoes, untucked button down cotton shirt he can roll up the sleeves if he wants.
Jeans, tshirt, Vans are okay also.
Comfort and confidence are more important.</p>

<p>We toured in September (still pretty warm). Arrived straight from Atlanta airport after about 9 hours of travel. We dressed for comfort. DS and I both wore khaki shorts, polo shirt, and sneakers. Allison, Dr. Sharpe, Dr. Haskew, and the others didn’t seem to care at all about our clothes. Neat and comfortable is all you need.</p>

<p>It was like 104 when we visited and my son wore beige khaki shorts, Sperry’s (no socks), burgundy checked (Bama colors) long sleeve (loosely rolled up mid-arm) shirt. He looked cute even though we were sweating profusely!</p>

<p>Sounds easy enough. Thanks, everybody!</p>

<p>“Patched and clean,” my mama always said.
Of course UA staff will not care what you wear - that is part of the Southern hospitality to be polite no matter how someone presents themselves. Logo-ed shirts from other universities that you have visited on the same trip might raise their eyebrow, tho. ;)</p>

<p>Our son just wore his usual ‘uniform’ of jeans, white T-shirt, and button-down, long sleeved shirt, tails out with sneakers. He was physically comfortable, and dressed like many others on campus, which made him feel even more comfortable. I will say the professor who took us on an engineering tour was outfitted even more casually than DS was! In addition he met with Dean Sharpe and Dean Karr, and never once felt he was ‘under’ dressed.</p>