What was YOUR courseload Junior year of high school??

<p>People who have been accepted to Virginia Tech or that already attend, what was your courseload Junior year of high school?? I would just like an idea because I am CLUELESS on what to sign up for, and I also really want to attend this college. Thanks!</p>

<p>DD took AP US History, AP Composition and Language, AP Biology, honors Spanish III, honors pre-calculus, religion (goes to a Catholic school). AP scores: 2 5s and a 3. Accepted to VT.</p>

<p>This is going to be meaningless outside the context of what is offered at each specific high school, what major, and your geographic location. You should be asking you guidance counselor what the most recent successful applicants to VT have taken. Make sure you ask specific to the school you are applying. This answer could be very different for the engineer, architect, or econ admit.</p>

<p>I agree with blueiguana. My school offers 3 APs and one dual enrollment. Only one AP is available to juniors and almost no one takes it because they’re not that advanced in the subject (AP Calc. Math is the weakest area for my school). The other two are AP calc BC (even rarer to find someone in my 500 student body school enrolled in there) and AP government which is the only AP that is regularly taken (but very few take the test, but that’s on them). The one dual enrollment is DE English. Now, compared to schools in bordering areas offering 10+ AP and honors for almost every class (we ONLY have honors for English 9, 10, & 11, why not for math is beyond me if my school administration wonders why no one signs up for Calc.) a junior at my school will have a so called “easy” course load. Which is why I’m glad that some colleges take the context of the school into consideration. That, plus GPA. We have a 7 point system (100-93 A; 92-86 B; 85-78 C, and 77-70 D). If we used the 10 point system, would have never had a C in my life. All schools are not create equal.</p>

<p>My point exactally VCG. By contrast, a student in a school with over 20 AP, and DE opportunities, 3k students, a 10pt scale, and 1pt weight for APs will be expected to have challenged themselves according to what was available. You are correct that most universities take these differences of opportunity into context even if they’re not known for a ‘holistic’ admissions approach. After all most students don’t get to choose their high school. Best of luck to you.</p>

<p>Take the most aggressive/challenging courseload you can successfully manage with A’s and B’s. Don’t waste a spot on “filler” or “easy A” courses just to pad your GPA.</p>

<p>Also, if your HS doesn’t offer much in the way of AP or Honors courses, consider taking a dual enrollment class at your local community college. Statistics or Calculus are popular subjects, although you may want to doublecheck with the specific college you’re interested in to be sure the credits will transfer. Here’s a handy chart that will show you what CC courses get what Tech credit: <a href=“http://www.tranguide.registrar.vt.edu/2012/vccs/index.html[/url]”>http://www.tranguide.registrar.vt.edu/2012/vccs/index.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>For these schools that offer so many AP classes, how do you fit them in? DS had a hard time getting them in because the local HS has the honor class as a prereq for the AP. So once he signed up for the honors classes that were required for HS graduation, it only left room for 3 APs.</p>

<p>It’s important to note that schools send a profile along with the transcript, that describes the course offerings and provides context for your course selections. For instance, the profile might mention that the school offers 12 AP courses, and 63% of juniors and seniors take at least 4 AP classes - this would give admissions officers an idea of how an applicant’s choices compares to those of their peers and to the school’s offerings overall.</p>

<p>Lets see if I can remember… It’s been a while.
Honors Trig
Honors (well, Humanities, which counted as honors but the two classes were heavily integrated) English and History
Computer Programming
Gym
Physics
Pottery</p>

<p>I followed it up with my “Why can’t I just leave at noon” senior year:
AP Calc
Regular English
Gym
Computer Programming: Java (Java was never installed on our computers so we just goofed around on the Internet, mainly seeing if we could sneak Wikipedia vandalism in)
Gym
Drivers Ed
Gym</p>

<p>I got pretty decent at tennis though.</p>

<p>I got accepted out of state (New England) having only taken AP environmental science and one dual enrollment course this year. My school offers a lot of APs, but I mostly took honors classes. Besides the two courses mentioned previously, I am taking all electives. I also chose not to take a language this year, but I don’t recommend that.</p>

<p>I don’t know what your school offers, but if you haven’t taken AP classes before, I recommend only taking one or two so you aren’t overwhelmed, and some other honors classes if possible. I think it would look better to get an A or B in an honors class than a C in an AP because you took on too much.</p>

<p>Okay, I’m sorry. I just realized I didn’t really answer your question. That is my senior year courseload. Last year I took honors english, honors US history, honors spanish, physics, pre calc, and an elective.</p>

<p>Adv. Photography
Photojournalism
PreCalculus
AP US History
AP Language
Spanish 2
Honors Chemistry
Sports Medicine</p>

<p>VA Tech looks in the context of your high school. For example, if your school only offers one or two AP classes, you should more than likely be taking those classes. My school, on the other hand, offers dozens of AP classes, meaning that it was crucial that I take as many APs as possible without over-doing it. I got into VA Tech with a 3.57 unweighted GPA and an 1100 math and reading SAT. Overall, the goal is to challenge yourself, and make good grades at the same time. Good luck to you, and GO HOKIES!!!</p>

<p>AP Language & Comp
AP Physics
AP Calculus
US. History
Health / PE
Fashion Marketing</p>

<p>Senior Year:
AP Literature
AP Environmental Science
AP Statistics
AP Government
Health / PE
Adv Fashion Marketing</p>

<p>Unw GPA 3.5 (6 point grading scale…ie: 94-100 = A, etc. no plus/minus)
Accepted Engineering Fall 2012</p>

<p>S’s junior classes (IB Diploma) were:</p>

<p>IB English HL
IB World Topics HL (i.e., world history)
IB French VI HL
IB Biology SL
IB Advanced Math
IB Psychology SL
IB Theory of Knowledge</p>

<p>Oops, that should have been IB History of the Americas HL and IB French V – the world history and French VI are this year. </p>

<p>S has been accepted into Business/Pamplin, and hopefully into the Honors.</p>

<p>Junior Year:
Pre-Cac w/Trig Honors
AP German
Physics Honors
AP US History
AP Biology
English
Gourmet Foods (hehe)</p>

<p>Senior Year:
AP Calc AB
English HN
AP Gov/Comp. Gov
T.A.
Sociology
AP Environmental Science
AP Euro. History</p>

<p>Junior Year:
AP Biology
AP US History
AP English
Honors Physics
Honors Spanish 4
Math Analysis (Honors)
Chorus</p>

<p>Senior Year:
AP Physics B
AP Calculus AB
AP English
AP Government
AP Spanish
Honors Engineering
Chorus</p>

<p>Side note: I took these classes to get into another school, but it definitely helped for Tech!</p>