What would you do? - OOS Student Inquiry

Hi everyone! I am a student in Florida very excited to attend one of the UCs I was accepted to. I want to be an Electrical Engineer, or Computer Science major. I am not set on either to be quite honest, as I’d be content with either since I just like technology as a whole, haha.

I am an IB student, on track for my IB Diploma. I was accepting into the following colleges:
University of South Florida - Electrical Engineering
University of Florida - Electrical Engineering
University of California, Davis - Electrical Engineering
University of California, San Diego - UNDECLARED
University of California, Irvine - UNDECLARED

(and was rejected from UCLA, and waiting on UCSB, UCB)

I’m not sure where exactly to post this thread, but I guess I am inquiring the likelihood of me being able to transfer from undeclared to EE at UCI and UCSD.

Also, I am assuming that there are prerequisites before actually getting into the specifics of my major (as in I am not going to take Circuits I in the first quarter, although I wouldn’t mind). Will me obtaining my IB Diploma help? I understand that I can get 30 quarter hours. Is this a lot? and does it affect my ability to transfer into EE?

Currently heavily leaning towards UCI. I’d appreciate everyone’s thoughts.

Here are some very brief stats of mine:
30 ACT
Very good ECs, Many leadership positions, unique clubs
Not sure what my UC GPA is but in my district, UW: 3.7 W: 5.6
IB Diploma Candidate
4 APs
Out of state (FL)

EE will be an easier major change at UCI than UCSD (extremely difficult as Undeclared) but there are no guarantees for spots at UCI either.
http://www.changeofmajor.uci.edu/CoM_Engr.html

Are your parents willing to spend $60K/year to attend UCI with the chance you may not get into your preferred major? Did you get your FA package from all the schools?

If your parents can pay the OOS costs, I would lean towards the direct admit at UC Davis or your Florida schools. As long as the schools EE program is ABET accredited, you will get a good education at any of the schools listed.

@Gumbymom

To be quite honest, I really want to leave Florida. I really dislike the UF campus and my current situation overall.
The high paying job opportunities and my overall quality of life will be higher which is why I am attracted to the UC system.

As for the change of major request, the UCSD site explicitly states that it’s very difficult to switch into EE, but the UCI website that you put doesn’t say anything about difficulty or statistics regarding the attempt to switch over. Do you know where I may be able to find these?

At the very least, I don’t mind going to UC Davis, although the job opportunities I heard that are available in Southern California are very appealing.

So the UC’s are affordable at $60K/year with no FA?
You might have to call UCI Engineering department to see what the transfer rate is for EE.
UCD is near San Jose/Silicon valley along with the Bay area so many job opportunities also available. If possible visit all campuses before making a decision.

Best of luck.

How does one get a 5.6 GPA?

@NCalRent
I assume my county in Florida does it different than California.

They add an extra .5 for AP/IB/Dual Enrollment and .25 for all Honors/Pre-IB classes.

12 Pre-IB Classes
8 Honors Electives
12 IB Classes
4 APs
(all with 2 semesters a piece)
4 Dual Enrollment Semesters

Basically, I took a lot of extra classes at my CC and did virtual classes on top of my high school curriculum. The worst part is, my rank is 40/230 at a very competitive school. The valedictorian has a 6.something GPA… Most students in my county though have mid 4.0 GPAs as their weighted.

Interesting, sounds very complicated. I have never heard of such a thing. Generally, an A in a weighted class is a 5 - whether it is IB, AP or at a CC.

UCs won’t give OOS applicants bonus pts for honors courses. The official UC GPA is capped to just 8 semester and includes only a-g courses taken in grades 10 and 11. 4.4 is about as high as you can get in their book.

Use this tool to calculate yours.

https://rogerhub.com/gpa-calculator-uc/

OOS to a UC right now is hard to guess right now. They are under intense political pressure to admit fewer OOS students so, what worked a year or two ago, may not work this year. Irvine and Davis could go either way. The others on your list, probably not. .