When are AO's actually making decisions and reading applications?

I was wondering if anybody (or any former AO’s out there) can help me answer this question as I have not found a lot of information about this:

When - approximately - do AO’s read applications, go into committees, and make preliminary decisions compared to the application deadline (lets say January 1st for regular decision). I am curious because if they make decisions early enough how would they weigh in interview comments, mid year reports, etc.?

Any responses would be appreciated!

1 Like

Every school has a different app reading process.

RD app reading will start immediately after the deadline at most schools (some read before the deadline). AOs at some schools can make the decision on apps without any other input. Some schools’ AOs do team reading in groups of two and make decisions along the way. Some schools take many apps to committee, some take hardly any to committee. Huge variance out there.

3 Likes

When reading an app, if they think that forthcoming information may have an impact on the decision, they likely put the app to the side and wait for the information. They also could do a quick review at the end to make sure no decisions should be changed.

4 Likes

Each school is different. Some schools (like Duke) for example uses a 2 reader system. After 2 reads (and sometimes 3), the scores are tabulated. Depending on the score, an applicant can be auto-admit or auto-deny. The rest go through committee evaluation.

Committees meet regularly, usually once a week and make decisions on a rolling basis. At the end, everything rolls up to the Dean of Admissions. The Dean then ‘sculpts’ the class based on desired characteristics. Some students are removed from the accept pile, and others are added. Once final sculpting is done, the decision letters are posted online.

3 Likes

It varies between different institutions and programs, but generally speaking, admissions officers will begin reading and evaluating applications shortly after the deadline. After a preliminary review, they may then go into committee to discuss the applications and make decisions. Additional materials such as interview comments, mid-year reports, and updates may be considered later on in the process. It’s best to check with specific program or institution to know the detailed information about their application process and decision making schedule.

It varies. But @John_Kilpert if this screen name is your real name, I would urge you to change it.

@CC_Sorin @CC_Jon

It is not but thank you for the warning!