When Do Colleges Rescind Acceptances?

<p>You may get a warning letter but probably nothing worse.</p>

<p>I was accepted to Santa Clara University (private Jesuit college).</p>

<p>My GPA at the time of acceptance was 3.14 with one C in almost every semester.</p>

<p>Right now, I have:</p>

<p>Digital imaging : A-
Economics: B
English: B-
AP Calculus: B-
AP Biology: C
AP Physics: C- ( could fall to a D depending on final project grade)</p>

<p>What are my chances of getting rescinded now? What about if my physics grade were to drop?</p>

<p>Make that a D in ap physics</p>

<p>Ahmer50–Private colleges are less likely to rescind acceptances than are the public ones that have hard-and-fast rules about minimum grades. So I still think you’ll get off with a warning letter though I can’t say for sure.</p>

<p>I hope so Sally. Will they consider a death in the family as a mitigating factor?</p>

<p>Of course a death in the family is a mitigating factor. If need be, you would have to explain who died and how it affected you or those around you. Admission officials can be skeptical if the deceased is some third cousin who lives thousands of miles away, but–even sometimes then–there can be an impact on the household that warrants explanation.</p>

<p>Here are my final year grades:</p>

<p>College Calculus (taken at a local college): 70
AP Gov: 87
AP Bio: 82
Lit: 95
Health: 85
Gym: 85
Elective: 85
Homeroom: 85</p>

<p>Would this warrant a note or rescission? I deposited at Duke.</p>

<p>Those grades look low for Duke, but I don’t know what your previous grades were. You shouldn’t get rescinded … maybe you’ll get a warning but that should be it.</p>

<p>I got a 77 in calculus and an 81 in biology on my midyear report, which they saw. I was invited to BSAI and pretty much notified of likely acceptance in early march, to add perspective.</p>

<p>I already posted a thread about this, but I was accepted to UCSB. I am a straight A+B student. However last semester I got 3 D’s and one F. </p>

<p>My house actually burned down and my mother had a huge surgery done and had to be on bed rest for a month. My parents are divorced so I took a ton of time off of school to take care of her and right after that was IB testing. </p>

<p>Is this a valid enough reason? I don’t know anything more devastating than having your house burn down.</p>

<p>emilywuib, woah. That is rough, and I thought I had it rough. I’m not even going to compare lol. I hope everything is good now :slight_smile: Are you an incoming student to UCSB or have you been there for a while? I’m an incoming transfer for 2013 Fall, just to let you know.</p>

<p>Thanks JMod!</p>

<p>No, things are still crazy. Our insurance investigation just wrapped up and they’re accusing my mom’s boyfriend of arson and are refusing to cover any remodling charges, despite the fact that my mom’s bf was with us the whole time and there is absolutely no motive. My whole family is going crazy with stress, especially my mum. I don’t have the heart to tell her that I might be rescinded because of all that she’s going through. :(</p>

<p>I’m an incoming student, so the house fire directly impacted me and my schoolwork.</p>

<p>Sorry for the late reply, emilywuib, I went to sleep early.</p>

<p>Dang, I’m sorry to hear that :frowning: I’m not sure if you answered this question already, but have you contacted admissions about this and explained your situation to them, thoroughly? If you haven’t, you need to let them know asap! What classes were they for the grades you got? You do have a shot at not getting your acceptance rescinded, because you definitely do have an unusual circumstance. The only reason I could think of you getting your acceptance rescinded is that one F you got and that they may feel that you may not be ready to leave home for UCSB, especially after hearing how unstable everything is at home. Still, explaining yourself to UCSB is the only shot you have of not getting your acceptance rescinded. Do note, however, they may ask for proof for the things you claim.</p>

<p>Remember, worst-case-scenario, you can always go to community college for two years and transfer to UCSB (or any other UC, maybe UCLA or Berkeley!) if you were to get your acceptance rescinded. Maybe things will be a lot more stable by then if that happens. Just know it’s not the end of the world! I transferred to UCSB in two years from a community college. I can help you if the worst does happen. Do remember that everything happens for a reason :slight_smile: I know it’s a clich</p>

<p>The F is in an 4 year international studies program that involves a lot of outside school participation. It was also extremely unorganized with zero communication and only gives .25 of a credit so I’m hoping they’ll let the F slide. :frowning: I got A in all the previous semester and I’ve been taking it for 4 years but recently it came under new management.</p>

<p>I contacted my admissions counselor yesterday and called her, but I’m probably not going to hear back from her until Monday. The classes were Mandarin, Theory of Knowledge, and History. I’m contacting my history teacher right now, I have honestly no idea why I have a D in the class. After graduation, I had a C in that class, and we didn’t take a final or any major thing that would suddenly drop my grade, so we’ll see. </p>

<p>I don’t know how to prove my mom got her surgery but I have the fire department’s report on my house. What would that entail?</p>

<p>To be honest, I need to leave home because me being a home puts more pressure on my mom. If I get rescinded, I’ll probably have to beg my state school (Oregon) to see if they will accept me, which I have no idea how to do. </p>

<p>I wish they would rescind admission after the first semester of college so you can prove whether it was circumstances or not. :(</p>

<p>Thanks so much for the advice!</p>

<p>Emily, got your PM. I responded.</p>

<p>Sorry to hear about your tragedies. You should contact your guidance counselor and ask if s/he has explained this to UCSB already. If your counselor is unavailable (or unreliable), contact the UCSB admission office directly yourself … and don’t hesitate. Good luck to you as move on from this stressful spring.</p>

<p>I applied to a few ivy leagues, and I took BC Calculus last year. This year, in addition to 5 AP courses, I took a semester math course online with Stanford. The course is impossible and I don’t think that I can pass it. They said if you don’t finish it then they don’t give you a grade and it’s like you never took it. If I get into Cornell, per se, would they rescind their acceptance if they foundout I didn’t take the course?</p>

<p>If you listed the Stanford course on your applications, then you MUST tell colleges right away that you are dropping it. It’s unlikely that this decision will have any negative impact on your college verdicts if you explain it now. But if admission officials are expecting to see a Stanford grade on your final transcript and none appears, then it COULD lead to a rescinded acceptance simply because you claimed a course that you never completed.</p>

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>Not sure if i’m resurrecting a long dead thread or if anyone is even still monitoring this, but I’ve been having a bit of an issue with senioritis. I spaced out on the last BC Calc unit and turned in all the homework late on top of spectacularly failing the test… I’m fairly confident I can still salvage a C, but my teacher has suggested laning down to AP Calc AB in case I get a D and get myself rescinded. I would of course have to notify the schools I’ve applied to. I’m confident that I can get an A in AB.</p>

<p>What would be the best course of action? Would a lane-down look worse than a C? What if I were to get B’s in AP Physics and AP English on top of this?</p>

<p>I’ve gone from 4 AP’s last semester to 5 this semester, and lost my free period to a general education class for graduation requirement. So I have some semblance of an excuse for laning down.</p>

<p>My top choices are Duke, Northwestern and Georgetown. My unweighted GPA is 3.76 with one C so this isn’t completely unprecedented, weighted is 4.16. What course of action would hurt my admissions the least, and help me avoid getting rescinded?</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>Isn’t the middle of the second semester a bit late to change classes? Anyway, one C will not lead to having an acceptance rescinded.</p>