When Do Colleges Rescind Acceptances?

<p>On the other hand, a D or an F will.</p>

<p>ninjanerd14–Presumably your school counselor sent a “Midyear Report” to colleges at the end of January. So he or she should have included your mid-year Calc BC grade. What grade would that have been? Did you have a C at mid-year? A D? Or higher? It would be helpful to know what Calc BC grade the college folks already saw before recommending a next step.</p>

<p>I graduated form High School in 2004 and went to NOVA. I messed around and did terribly. I got an associates in general studies with 2.3 GPA and then went to Strayer. I did not complete Strayer but my GPA for the classes I took there was 3.0. I finally got tired of working two fulltime jobs and start NOVA again in Spring 2013 for an IT degree. This is my last semester and I have gotten nothing lower than a B for this degree but my previous GPA has screwed me. Anyways I am taking 5 courses this semester and I should have at least 3 A’s.</p>

<p>I am filling out my application for George Mason University with a current GPA of 2.72. Do you guys think I might have a chance to be accepted. I know my chances are next to nothing but I don’t want to give up. Would admissions at GMU look at my final GPA or would they just deny my application as soon as they see my current GPA.</p>

<p>Any advice at all would be appreciated. I am loosing my mind thinking about this . . . </p>

<p>I think they will be heavily influenced by the strong upward trend in Your GPA , your perseverance, and a great essay that gives voice to the determination you’ve shown and the maturity you bring to campus from the life experiences you’ve had. Wishing you all the best!</p>

<p>Hi, I’m kind of a new user here, and I’m a high school senior on my school’s varsity tennis team. I’m in a bit of a dilemma. At my school, the boys tennis team season starts during 2nd semester (roughly mid-February of this year). </p>

<p>During 1st semester (around October 2013), when I was busy filling out college apps, I was listing out all of my extracurriculars, including everything I’ve done for tennis from 9th-12th grade. Everything is fine except for one issue. I listed that I would be the co-captain of the tennis team in 12th grade, because in the years before, seniors who were on the varsity team for at least 3 years would basically be automatically “promoted” to co-captain position. It’s been like this ever since I joined the team in freshman year.</p>

<p>However, a few weeks ago, the coach changed things up–since there were too many seniors, he only gave two people the captain position, and I did not get the position. It’s not like I dropped out of the team–I’m still a varsity player–but I’m not co-captain. </p>

<p>What should I do? Will I be rescinded because I didn’t fulfill what I wrote on my app?</p>

<p>You definitely won’t be rescinded but you should write to your colleges (any that have accepted you as well as those you are still waiting to hear from) and explain your honest mistake. It’s possible (though unlikely) that you’ll get in hot water if you don’t say anything and the truth comes out. But if you explain, you’ll be fine.</p>

<p>Sally, I did AP Euro History 1st semester and got an A. Unfortunately, teacher had a serious illness at the semster break and didn’t come back. We now have an inexperienced sub who is just awful. I persevered until the very last day to drop - last week. I contacted the schools that have already accepted me, who didn’t care as it was an elective class, albeit an AP. I already have US History, World History, AP Psych, Econ and Govt so social studies reqs are fulfilled. Should I tell the schools where I’m still waiting to hear? Do you think it’s a negative? </p>

<p>I do think that you should tell the colleges you haven’t heard from yet and they SHOULD be understanding. It would be very helpful (although not mandatory) to ask your school counselor (or even the chair of the history department) would write a note to confirm this. Even if the counselor or teacher doesn’t seem willing to say that the sub was horrendous, at least he or she might say that you did indeed have a sub for all of this semester. The college folks can read between the lines. Don’t worry about this affecting your verdicts but do be pro-active about informing your colleges.</p>

<p>Thx!</p>

<p>So let’s say you are accepted to you reach and backups.</p>

<p>But of course you select your reach and tell your backups you are not going.</p>

<p>And then you get a bad grade final semester, and are rescinded from your reach.</p>

<p>You are probably only rescinded by July.</p>

<p>So what is a rescinded person to do?</p>

<p>Can he beg his backups to please take me now, or is he SOL?
Will he succeed in such begging?</p>

<p>And off to community college?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>This is why it’s wise to pay attention to grades all semester and to catch them before they fall too far. But, if that turns out to be impossible (e.g., your classes are harder than you’d expected or there are health issues or other personal problems that distract you from your work), then you need to warn colleges NOW … or well before the end of the semester … that you’re taking a nose dive and see what the reaction is.</p>

<p>Ultimately, it is better to be denied in March or April than it is to have an acceptance revoked over the summer. And for students who have ALREADY been accepted before the grades plummeted, keep in mind that colleges really do NOT like to rescind acceptances and are usually willing to work with you to strike a compromise. For instance, you could suggest re-taking a failed class over the summer or even starting college in the fall on academic probation with a requirement that you check in with a dean to make sure you’re staying on track.</p>

<p>But don’t be an ostrich and hope that no one at the colleges will notice slipping grades because it’s definitely easier to deal with the problem now, when there is still time to come up with a compromise, then it is in July when both high school and college officials may be hitting the beach and it’s too late to make amends.</p>

<p>Hey Sally I was accepted ED1 to Wesleyan University even after they saw my C+ in English in my first trimester in tennis.(P.S. I was recruited for tennis so my 3.3 GPA was definitely helped by athletics). In that same trimester I received overall solid grades 2 B’s 1 B+ and an A in Physics A. I’m the Student Council President of the school and have been doing pretty well but I had another slip up this trimester. Although I improved tremendously in English bringing my grade up to a B+ and maintained the same grades in other classes I dropped to a C in Pre Calculus in this second trimester. I have a whole trimester to get back on the map but am I in hot water because of the C in Pre Calculus?</p>

<p>No hot water here. Admission folks allow a lot of wiggle room for athletes. A “D” would probably get you a warning, and an “F” would definitely heat up that water, but a “C” shouldn’t make a difference, especially when you put it in the context of your overall GPA and the English grade that Wesleyan already saw.</p>

<p>My high school only reports final grades (not even semester ones). Because colleges like a mid-year report, we gave them first semester grades (which are usually averaged with second semester ones to give the grade that the college sees). I had a B- in Calc BC, which they saw. If that winds up at a C+ or even a C (I am currently on pace to wind up with an averaged 77 or C+ for the year), that is no problem, right? I have a 4.46 GPA and a 2310 SAT. I know that a Richmond admissions person once said on here that a C in Calculus has never been a problem for anybody. Is that just true for Richmond or true for most schools?</p>

<p>My best guess is that NO college would revoke an acceptance for a “C.” But if an “A” student ends up with a bunch of C’s in the final term of senior year, it might be a different story .</p>

<p>Hello Sally I have a question. So my high school reports only final semester grades on transcripts and I’m very concerned about two of my final grades. For first semester I finished with a 68 in Math Analysis and a 66 in Honors British Literature which is not weighted… I’m very nervous about Cal Poly Pomona rescinding my acceptance. So far this semester I am doing okay in both classes and I expect to pass them both. What should I do about this situation? </p>

<p>You will need a FINAL grade of C- or better in all courses at Cal Poly. Otherwise you run the risk of a rescinded acceptance. Do you think you can get at least a C- in those two classes? And, actually, it may even be a “C” and not a C-. I suggest that you call the admission office for a clarification so you’ll know what you need to aim for. You should also ask about the required overall GPA, just to make sure you’re meeting all standards. If your grades are below the cut-off and the college plans to rescind your acceptance, you can appeal as a “hardship” case, IF there were any extenuating circumstances that might help to explain your low grades.</p>

<p>Ok Sally I have a question:
Lets say my son has in a Typical year 6 A’s, 5B’s and 1C. With heavy courseload. 4 AP classes/semester.
And gets a scholarship based also on an excellent SAT, like lets say 2400. But with the grade average above.</p>

<p>So what which could make the scholarship be rescinded:
maintain 6A’s 5B’s 1C ->. obviously not rescinded.
6A’s 4B’s 2C’s -> probABLY NOT rescinded
4A’s 6B’s 2C’s -> This is one of my doubts.
6A’s 3B’s 3C’s -> This is one of my doubts.
6A’s 2B’s 4C’s -> This is one of my doubts.
6A’s 5B’s 1D -> This is another of my doubts.</p>

<p>The scholarship specifically mentions maintaining your grades.
The numbers above are for 12 classes/year, ( 6/semester)</p>

<p>Hi, I got into UCSD. I’m currently taking a full load of PSEO classes at OSU, but I’m not doing too well in two of them-- Physics and Calculus. I took on too much at once this semester, so I may be dropping Calculus so I’ll be able to get a C in Physics. Is it possible that they’ll rescind my acceptance? I want to study Computer Science, and I was admitted Undeclared. </p>

<p>Hi Sally, I got accepted at UCSD as freshman with Neuroscience major. I took a course on multi-variable calculus in a community college last Fall semester, hoping to manage it in time with all my other activities, but gave up towards the end. I finally ended up with a D. This subject was not required by my high school and so not factored in my GPA. I have A’s in all other subjects and have maintained a weighted GPA above 4.65 all my semesters. I also have good AP and ACT scores. Do you think I will be rescinded by UCSD ? I called UCSD and the officer said she cannot say for sure if I will get rescinded. I can only find it out in August if it gets revoked.
If I submit SIR to both UCSD and another college (where I know I wont be rescinded), will I be in trouble ? Can you please suggest what I should do? UCSD is my top choice.
Thanks a lot.</p>