When Do Colleges Rescind Acceptances?

<p>I just found out I failed the final exam for an online BYU class,thus losing credit (you need a 68 on the final to receive it) even though I had a 95% without it. I took the class last summer but the test only a week ago. I already put in my SIR at Lewis and Clark college and now I’m really worry. However, the class WASNT required, it was just added. Do you think they’ll rescind my acceptance?</p>

<p>Nope, travisl, I don’t.</p>

<p>I was admitted to a really good liberal arts college, and I’m worried my acceptance will be revoked. I applied with a 3.78 GPA, with my first senior year trimester GPA as a 3.48. I was worried about that, but they still accepted me. They have not seen my second trimester grades, which were also a 3.48, but I’m worried about my spring trimester grades. I dropped from a B+ in AP Biology to a B-, a B in AP Calc AB to a C+, but my physics grade, a B+, and my english grade, A, stayed the same. This would change my GPA from my fall and winter term from a 3.48 to a 3.3 in my spring term. My cumulative GPA would change from the 3.78 they accepted me with to a 3.69. I’m really worried. </p>

<p>tsarax … colleges don’t like to pull the rug out so you should be okay. You might get a warning letter but I doubt it would go beyond that, given that the college saw your 3.48 before accepting you.</p>

<p>I recently got into University of Denver with a overall 2.9 GPA but a senior first semester GPA of 3.5. My grades are all ok second semester except for my AP Macroeconomics class in which I might get a D. Would this warrant getting rescinded?</p>

<p>tjp1995–My crystal ball (albeit not always accurate) says that a D in AP Macro may getting you a warning letter but not a rescinded acceptance, given that you say it’s your only bad grade this semester and that your first semester was stronger than usual. However, if there’s any time at all left before grades are finalized, I suggest that you ask your teacher if you can do some sort of extra-credit work that would push your D up to at least a C-. If so, it should take you out of the warning zone entirely and vanquish all your worries.</p>

<p>I have not read the entire thread, but here is a twist on the basic question: how does the risk of being rescinded play in to other stuff, particularly financial aid and loans, that happens during late May and early June. Son is accepted at first choice private liberal arts school A, it comes with standard letter staying that offer is contingent upon grades “consistent with.” Back up school B is UCSC, with its own, more direct UC guidelines. Back up School C is another liberal arts school with somewhat less selectivity than School A. Son was on waitlist at A, and just got pulled off. Deposits are in at all three schools now. Grades contain the possibilities of two C’s, this last semester. Notwithstanding the fact that rescission risk is small, what of deposits/notifying back up schools? Isn’t it wise to wait to notify until all possible contingencies (in this case final grades) have occurred before notifying back up schools?</p>

<p>Moreover, what about financial aid? School A is now asking for various documents. If such documents are submitted to School A and it rescinds, that does not create problems for B or C does it? </p>

<p>Good manners would say “notify other schools immediately” however prudence dictates waitiing, yes?</p>

<p>@Sally_Rubenstone‌ I got admitted into UCLA, but I’m afraid I won’t get the scores I predicted on my UC application for my final exams (french baccalaureate), especially for Physics, for which I had predicted an 18/20 score, but now we had a lot of problems with this subject during this year (we had a bad teacher so he was fired after 2 months and now we have about 1/4 of our program unfinished, just 3 weeks before the exam), so I think the highest I may get is 16 (still an A). So my question is: will I get rescinded if I get 14-16 (A or B in the worst case) instead of an 18 in Physics (and also maybe 17 instead of 18 in biology and an 18 instead of 19 in arabic)?
Also, if I forgot to list one of my classes for 12th grade (Philosophy, which is not a requirement), which is also one of the subjects included in my final exams, would that affect my admission?</p>

<p>Seems like we’re all freaking out here. I’m curious about how things worked out for everyone. </p>

<p>Anyway, I got into a small private school in the Midwest and was offered a hefty scholarship and an invite to join the honors program even though I only have a 3.33 GPA (unweighted). I got a B for my first semester of calculus but I am most likely going to have a D second semester. I have had one other D in another math class before so it’s not shocking for me to get a D, but all the same I’m really worried that I’ll get rescinded. My school didn’t post any requirements after acceptance or anything, so I’m very very scared. This is the only D I have gotten my entire senior year. In spite of the D, my overall GPA will actually go up since I have an A in every other class, including my AP/honors classes. Will I get rescinded and have my invitation withdrawn? :\ It’s too late to change my grade now, so I’ve gone and contacted the school about my grade. </p>

<p>Dandy113–With A’s in your other classes and a previous D on your record that the admission officials already saw, you should be fine.</p>

<p>@Sally_Rubenstone – </p>

<p>Maybe you can be so kind as to weigh in on this one. My son was accepted to Emory University. His overall GPA was between a 3.4 and 3.5. He’s taking a tough load his senior year, and his first-semester grades (sent to Emory prior to the admission decision) were all B’s. He’s never received a grade lower than a straight B.</p>

<p>Ah, but this last semester it looks like he’ll be getting an A, a couple of B’s, and two C’s (AP Statistics and Math). He might be able to raise the C in Math to a B-minus, but then again he might not be able to. How worried should we be about his admission getting rescinded?</p>

<p>Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>@Sally_Rubenstone‌ </p>

<p>Hi Sally. I’m a senior that was accepted to an Ivy League college but due to depression/home life issues, my grades have dropped drastically, from 3 A-s/2Bs, to 3 B+s, 1 B- and 1 C… I also failed a pass/fail class due to absenteeism.</p>

<p>I’m very worried that my acceptance will be rescinded or that I may even have to write a letter explaining why I dropped so much… Any advice?</p>

<p>@Sally_Rubenstone‌ </p>

<p>Hi Sally, I’m a senior that recently graduated and noticed a slight dip in my grades (3.33 to 3.14). Got accepted into Depaul, NIU, and Bradley. Committed to Depaul, Any chance that I may get revoked from acceptance due to one F in AP Calc?</p>

<p>Hi,
I’m committed to CU Boulder, this past semester I earned 3 A’s and 2 C’s. All 3 A’s were in AP classes while the C’s were in math (a subject i’ve always struggled in and I’ve mostly gotten B’s and C’s in throughout high school) and an elective course not required for graduation. I know it’s unlikely but I’m very worried about getting my acceptance revoked. 1st semester I earned B’s in the classes I now have C’s in, so its not that much of a drop but I’m worried nonetheless. I’ve contacted the school but received a generic response that did nothing to stop my fears.</p>

<p>Thanks in advance </p>

<p>Hi Everyone … I’m getting overwhelmed with panicked messages from students and parents who are worried about acceptances and/or scholarships being rescinded. It’s not just here on this forum that I’m being queried but also via “Ask the Dean,” private messages, my email account, etc. So I can’t answer you all individually. Here, however, is a blanket response:</p>

<p>It’s impossible for me to know exactly how a particular college or university will react to a dip in grades. Some (e.g., the UC system) publish their “rules” on their Web site, but most don’t. So we can only guess at their policies. But in MOST cases, the drop in grades has to be VERY significant for the college to act on it. Colleges really do NOT like to screw up their class rosters by dumping enrolled students. </p>

<p>Students who already had a couple of B’s on their records along with a C or two will NOT lose their spots for an additional C or two. (pope2014 take note!)</p>

<p>D’s and F’s can be more problematic, but if one course drops and the rest of the GPA is strong (even if not as strong as it was at the time of the initial application), this is rarely a problem either, unless the college Web site states a zero-tolerance policy for D’s and F’s (which isn’t common).</p>

<p>When grades have made a REAL nosedive in the final quarter or semester (e.g. a 3.8 became a 2.8) and there is a legitimate reason (other than senioritis), then it can be worthwhile to ask your guidance counselor to write an explanatory note to accompany the final transcript, which he or she will send out after the school year ends. “Legitimate” reasons might include illness, family problems, or even the fact that a particular class is renowned for being extremely tough. In other words, you want your counselor to be able to say, “This kid wasn’t slacking at the end.” </p>

<p>Alias123 … if possible, your counselor’s letter should focus on the family problems but not on the depression. Admission officials can be wary of students whom they think could bring a serious depression issue with them to campus. While legally they can’t discriminate, I still think it would work in your favor to focus on problems at home (and your counselor can be as specific or not as you like) but to leave out the depression unless it looms too large to ignore (e.g., you were hospitalized and out of school because of it). Chances are good that you may receive a warning letter but nothing more dire.</p>

<p>To all of you who aren’t sleeping while you wait for a bad-news phone call or email to arrive, the easy solution is to contact the college directly and ask if you are in jeopardy. As I’ve said many times before, don’t think that you may be stirring up a hornet’s nest by doing so and that the admission folks wouldn’t notice those bad grades if you don’t mention them. They WILL see all your final grades, and it’s better to know where you stand NOW and not in late June or July. If you do call, be prepared to offer an explanation of the downturn and, if your final grades are really awful, to even propose a “solution” that falls short of a rescinded acceptance. Typically, this “solution” would be to volunteer to put yourself on academic probation right from the start or to check in weekly with an advisor or dean through the first semester. (But don’t propose any of this until it’s clearly a Hail Mary situation.)</p>

<p>Sorry for not tackling each case individually, but keep in mind that I don’t have a crystal ball myself and might even steer you wrong if I did write to you personally. Best of luck to all.</p>

<p>I have a question Sally. I was accepted to UCR for computer science, but my provisions of admittance state I need a B in math228,231,270 and physics 202. I got a C in math 270. I haven’t received my other grades but I have called my academic adviser and let her know. She told me it was a 50% chance they would take it away. Is there anything I can do? I am a transfer student. </p>

<p>

</p>

<p>You can try getting a recommendation from your Math 270 teacher that might help put the C in perspective (e.g., was it an especially tough course or is C the typical grade that this prof gives out? Did you enter the class without the proper prerequisites?). If the professor said you worked hard for your grade, even if you didn’t make a B, that could help you, as would an additional good word from your academic adviser. But the UC schools can be sticklers when students don’t make the required grades, so I agree with your adviser that it could go either way. Good luck!</p>

<p>Do colleges rescind based on overall course grades, quarter grades, or final grades? I got a D on one final but i’ve never gotten even a C before. Some of my other finals could have been bad but averaged with my midterm (which is how it gets counted in our gpas) they will be Bs</p>

<p>Was the D your overall grade for the course or just your exam grade? </p>

<p>Exam grade</p>