When Do Colleges Rescind Acceptances?

<p>Hi, first semester is ending and it is very likely that I will recieve a D in pre calc. My other grades are As Bs and 1 c in an AP class. I was wondering if there would be a chance that my admission will get rescinded from IU, Iowa, or mizzou. Thanks, An answer would for sure relieve some of my stress!</p>

<p>Most colleges will not rescind for a “D,” as long as your overall GPA is roughly in the same ballpark as the one on your application. (It can be a little lower but not a lot.) The UC system is well known for rescinding acceptance for any final grade below a “C,” but keep in mind that quarter or mid-term grades are not as important as the grade at the end of the class. So if you have a “D” in a class that hasn’t ended yet and you’re applying to a UC school, do everything you can to pull it up before the final grade is issued. As for all of the other universities named above, it’s up to you–the applicant–to stay on top of the policies at the colleges you’ve applied to. Often this information can be found on the school’s Web site (though it may be something of a treasure hunt to locate it). If not, you can call the admission office and ask. (You can even do this anonymously, if you’re uncomfortable outing yourself as an admitted applicant who is struggling in a class.) </p>

<p>Colleges do not like to rescind acceptances so they are likely to give you the benefit of the doubt if they feel that you are really trying in your classes and not slacking. Most will issue a warning letter before they rescind. </p>

<p>But, instead of simply worrying about having an acceptance revoked, call the colleges in question and ask about the impact of a “D.” If you expect a “D” but think that your GPA won’t be significantly affected, be sure to say so. You may be relieved to find out that, even with a potential “D,” you’ll be fine.</p>

<p>And, if you get that “D” anyway but you’ve been working hard in the class and the teacher recognizes your efforts, it can’t hurt to ask this teacher to write to your colleges and explain that you did put effort into the class, even if it’s not reflected on your report card.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>Hello. I am a senior in high school. I haven’t been accepted to any colleges yet, but I’ve been looking at Yale, MIT, Brown, Amherst, Tufts, OU, etc. and I’m concerned that I might get any future acceptances rescinded. I have a 4.0 unweighted GPA, 2370 on my SAT, and a good overall application.</p>

<p>However, right now I have an F in an online class from a community college, which I am being forced to take and was not my choice. The college is about 1.5 hours away from me, so I am unable to meet with the professor or any of the other students. I started a few weeks late, and wasn’t able to purchase a textbook until a month or so into the class, and it’s been extremely stressful for me. The full story is kinda complicated… The course won’t show up on my transcript until after the end of first semester.</p>

<p>I applied to Yale SCEA, and the decision comes out soon. I doubt I got in, but on the off chance that I did, would this cause a possible acceptance to be rescinded? Would something like this cause me to be automatically rejected from other colleges if the rest of my application is solid? I plan on doing everything I can to raise this grade before the end of the semester.</p>

<p>@Sally_Rubenstone‌ hello! I was recently matched to the University of Virginia through QuestBridge! I need a bit of help. I have a 3.65 gpa so I’m an A/B student…I’ve never had a C on my semester grades (granted I’ve gotten a couple of Cs in calc for the quarter grades) but I’ve always managed to bring the semester grades up. Well, this semester I couldn’t. I’m looking at a C+ in math, one B in my other math class, and the rest As. I failed my midterm so even though I got two Bs for the quarters I’m at a C+ now. I’m afraid UVa will rescind my scholarship. Honestly, it’s not because of laziness or senioritis but I just don’t understand the material. It’s extremely difficult and I’m struggling on every test. I wrote for my UVa supplement that calc was my worst subject if that’ll make a difference. I’m just so scared that I’ll be rescinded and my dream will be shattered. </p>

<p>Hi,Sally, I have been accepted in Northwestern ED. I have gotten 3Cs in my AP classes. I am so scared that might be resclinded. Do I have to contact the school and let them know I have horrible grades ? </p>

Recently got into Boston College and am awaiting to hear back from a few of my other tops (NYU, Tufts, Vassar). My midyear grades are not going to be too good.

AP Calc (83ish)
AP Lit (93)
AP Euro (92)
AP Spanish (88)
Physics (95)

However, because of weighting, my GPA shouldn’t go down, it should stay stagnant. The two B’s don’t send red flags, do they? I’m sorry if this sounds overly pretentious, I just want to make sure my shots at NYU, Vassar, and Tufts are not lessened because of two B’s in an otherwise very strong academic record.

@nickb14‌ --This is a thread about potentially rescinded applications, not about “chances.” IF you had already been accepted in the ED round by the target schools you named, then your midyear grades would not be a problem at all, even if you’d gotten all A’s on previous report cards. (These grades will certainly not change your status at BC.) However, it’s impossible to predict how these new grades will affect you at Vassar, Tufts, and NYU since you HAVEN’T been accepted yet. Admission officials process a lot of information, and looking at your grades in a vacuum provides insufficient grounds for a “chances” assessment. Certainly you will have “competitor applicants” with only high A’s this January, and that could work against you, but if you bring other desirable traits to the table (along with a strong GPA from past semesters) then your current grades shouldn’t have a negative impact on your outcomes. You are taking a tough course load and admission officials will notice this.

Congrats on your BC acceptance. Hope there’s more good news coming but, even if there’s not, you’ve got an option that many would envy.

@Sally_Rubenstone‌ Thank you very much. I’m glad to hear it will not impact my status at BC

@Sally_Rubenstone‌ I have a friend who was accepted into Harvard EA and is currently being accused of plagiarism not by his high school but by a college whose continuing education program he’s enrolled in. It’s possible that the college won’t contact Harvard because he’s not dual-enrolled in it through his high school, but it might. What are his chances of being rescinded, and will this have bearing on his grad school admissions?

@harvardw15hful‌ --If the college where the plagiarism took place does contact Harvard, it’s possible that your “friend” will lose his spot. But first the Harvard officials will take a close look at the alleged violation. While most acts of cheating are intentional, sometimes plagiarism can fall into a gray area because high school students haven’t always been taught exactly how plagiarism is defined. Certainly every high school student knows that stealing a paper off the Internet or copying passages from a book without citations would count as plagiarism. But sometimes a student–especially a high school student–doesn’t understand that proposing ideas in one’s own words that came from another source might be considered plagiarism as well, if there is not proper attribution. So IF this episode is reported to Harvard, the outcome will probably be closely linked to the nature of the infraction. Harvard will look into the specifics and your “friend” will most likely have the chance to explain himself before any action is taken.

As for grad school acceptance, there is not likely to be any repercussions except, perhaps, at the university where the plagiarism incident took place.

Probably a stupid question considering its not any big school like an Ivy or anything like that but will I be okay from being rescinded at BGSU after getting a D in a class after the rest of my classes are at a B? This semesters cumulative GPA is constant with the rest of my HS career for the most part.

I have a 2.9 and Im a senior, I had a 3.8 but messed up on my final exams. Does this mean UC’s wont accept me anymore?

Hi I applied to Miami University of OH (but got in to Ohio State, Ohio Univ, Indiana Univ, UNC, and Arizona state)

So my grades have severely dropped from A’s and B’s to:

English: D
Honors Economics: B
Government: B or A
IB environmental: D or F
AP stats: D
Gym: A

because of a very bad family issue, I have not been accepted yet but I am worried because I hear back 2/1 and mid year reports are sent out 1/23. Should I call admissions and talk to them? This is by far my worst semester!

@bigb39r‌ --I don’t think that Bowling Green automatically rescinds for D’s but this is something you need to check directly with them. Just call the admission office and ask. If you don’t want to out yourself as someone who actually got a D, there’s no need to give your name. Just ask about their policy. If your GPA is roughly consistent, you shouldn’t have a problem, but you’d be smart to check.

If the D is just a semester grade and not the final course grade, then you still have time to pull it up and the D shouldn’t affect you, regardless of the college’s policy. But if it IS the final grade, you should check with the college ASAP so you’ll know where you stand and can try to figure out some sort of damage-control if you’re in hot water (which I’m guessing you’re not, as long as you keep your nose to the grindstone until graduation).

A NOTE TO ALL STUDENTS AFRAID OF A RESCINDED ACCEPTANCE: It is YOUR responsibility to know the policy at the college you plan to attend. Just phone and ask. As noted above, you need not provide your name.

@hmsagurl‌ --Is the 2.9 your new cumulative GPA or is it just your semester GPA (which would be preferable)? CA students need a 3.0 to be admitted to a UC school, but if your GPA dropped temporarily due to some lousy exam scores and you can pull it back up by the end of the year, you may be okay. Talk to your guidance counselor who will probably be more familiar with the specifics of UC admission than I am. If the counselor isn’t helpful, call UC admission directly. If any of your individual final course grades are lower than a C, you’re in trouble. But if all of your grades are C or above, you may be able to squeak by. The admission folks will probably want to know why your GPA took such a plunge. It’s hard to advise you without knowing more specifically about your grades in each course and how you made such a major downturn.

@ikooldiscovery‌ --This is a MAJOR drop in grades and you should definitely make an appointment to talk to admission officials at ALL of your colleges to explain your family situation. If it would make you more comfortable or if you think you can best organize your thoughts on paper, you can begin with an email message or letter to each school explaining the family crisis and then end the letter by saying that you’d like to follow up with a telephone appointment. That way, you don’t have to start from scratch when you speak to an admission official. He or she will already have the necessary background information. (Call each college to schedule this appointment just after you’ve sent each letter, but be sure to allow the admission officials a few days to read your message before your phone appointment.)

In addition, if you have a good relationship with your guidance counselor and/or your counselor seems to be a fairly decent one, you should speak to him or her immediately to explain the home-front issues and ask how to proceed. Your counselor MAY have a relationship with an admission official from one or more of your target colleges (particularly the in-state schools) and might be able to intervene on your behalf.

You are in danger of losing all of your acceptances, so act fast. Your extenuating circumstances could save you, but you will need to be forthcoming about them. Good luck!

@Sally_Rubenstone‌ I am an international student. After high school graduation I signed up for a diploma course at a distance learning institution in the UK. However I am no longer interested in pursuing the diploma and would rather just move to the USA for my studies. Getting actual guidance is one of the reasons. Anyways, as I am not planning to pursue the diploma, I have dropped subjects but I am still giving the finals for some of them. As it is a british diploma, do I have to report it on my application? Especially when I am not even pursuing it? Also does it make me a transfer student or a freshman applicant considering that my relationship with the instituation ends after my finals whether I take a transfer or not? Although as said I would rather begin my studies with proper guidance and thus would not like to transfer or list these courses.

@ash0907‌ – You must report EVERY post-high-school institution you “attended”, even via distance learning, when you apply to any US college. Depending on the number of credits you have completed, you may be considered either a freshman or a transfer. It’s easy to contact admission officials at the US colleges on your list to ask. At the same time, you can also ask if you can apply without listing those UK courses on your application. The answer will probably be “no,” but it can’t hurt to try.

There are many students who would prefer to apply to college with a clean slate after having another educational experience elsewhere, but the process does not allow this. Some students, of course, don’t report their false start anyway and can get away with it. In your case, because your first college was a distance-learning school outside the US, it’s very possible that you, too, could get away with “erasing” this experience when you apply to US colleges. But I wouldn’t recommend that. Any time false information on an application comes to light, there will be serious consequences for the offender.

I have a Syracuse class (SUPA Sociology) that is only for the second semester of the school year. I have not started the course yet and feel that it may not be worth it to take the course because I would not be getting college credit if I were to go to BC where I currently forsee myself going (already accepted) and it is also fairly expensive to take the course. If I were to drop it from my schedule would BC look down upon this greatly? Would BC ever rescind my acceptance because I dropped this course?
I still haven’t made a decision on the course yet, just was making sure I don’t make a decision that I regret.

@nowo22–Whenever a student makes a change in a senior course load AFTER applying to college (and, especially, after being accepted), the college folks expect to be informed promptly. And if the change makes the student’s schedule less rigorous than it appeared on the application (e.g., the student substituted a less-challenging class for a harder one or dropped a class entirely, as in your case), then it’s important to tell any college that has already admitted you BEFORE finalizing the change.

In this case, because the class you’re dropping is sociology (typically not considered to be especially grueling or critical), it seems highly likely that the BC folks will say, “Fine,” particularly when you point out that money is a factor in your decision. But they will be able to view this class in the context of your entire second-semester program as well as in the context of your overall high school transcript. Perhaps it plays a more important role than I’m assuming, if it turns out that your transcript is lacking social science selections.

Bottom line: Ask BC first but they’re likely to give you the go-ahead to drop the class. If you do drop it, be sure to notify the other colleges you’ve applied to right away.