When Do Colleges Rescind Acceptances?

@Sally_Rubenstone‌ but I havent received any credit till now, and wont even at the time of enrollment. And also what if I mention the program in the additional information section on the commonapp, and state that I signed up for this program but dropped it, and havent received any credits? My high school counsellor can verify that for me if the need arises.

@ash0907‌ -As I said before, you are supposed to report every college class you took. But if you mention the distance-learning program in your Additional Info section, described as you suggested, that should suffice. It’s conceivable that the admission folks will then ask you for more information, but they most likely will not.

My daughter is struggling with ap physics she d
Got a “d” as semester grade, she is going to convert to regular physics. Can university recind decision because of this.

@ektasethi‌ -Colleges will not rescind based on semester grades, only final grades. I assume that if your daughter switches out of AP into regular physics, her high school will count her grade in regular physics at the end of the year as her final grade. You might want to check with the counselor on this, but she should be fine. And most colleges won’t rescind for one final D if it’s in a notoriously tough course like AP Physics, as long as other grades are good and the student was not slacking off. There are, of course, exceptions (e.g… the UC schools allow no grade lower than C) but typically a D, even as a final grade, is not an automatic dealbreaker if everything else on the transcript looks strong.

I have a quick question, I already got accepted at Purdue university and it’s my top choice right now. However, first semester of senior year I got 4 C’s and they all were in AP Classes. Will they revoke my acceptance?

@Snail12345‌ -You’ll probably get some sort of warning. Are these final grades in those classes or just semester grades? If the latter, you should work hard to pull up any of those that you can. If you’re beginning new courses now, put your nose to the grindstone and be grateful for the fresh start.

What is your usual GPA? Up until this term have you been a straight-A student or do you have a mix of A’s and B’s or even some C’s? If you’ve dropped to 4 C’s after getting nothing but A’s, the admission folks will not be happy and will be looking for a big upward turn in the spring, though it seems highly unlikely that they’ll cut you loose now.

I have a quick question, I got in ED to my school and my first semester gpa of senior year is a 3.83, but my first quarter grades which were sent to my ED school was a 3.94 for senior year. Am I going to get rescinded? Also my average gpa before senior year was a 3.81. Thanks @Sally_Rubenstone‌

@L.Dawg03-Those differences are hair-splitting. Relax (just not TOO much). :wink:

Hi,

I heard that the minimum threshold for Ivy’s not rescinding someone is around 3.5? Is this true, or would straight B’s be OK? (I am a 3.95 UW applicant).

Furthermore, I am concurrently taking courses at a local community college. Would these classes be considered in the rescind decision? Do these classes have to be on my high school transcript or can I just have the college send in an official one?

Thanks a lot for your help!

@lose3teeth‌ -A drop from nearly all A’s to all B’s will most likely make an impact at the Ivies. I knew a student in a similar situation a couple years ago who had been admitted to Yale in the EA round. After his grades dropped, Yale “invited” him to take a gap year before enrolling, which he did. If there are extenuating circumstances that help explain the grade decline, make sure you inform your colleges.

If you are taking your community college classes for high school credit (i.e., they are replacing high school classes, and are not in addition to them), you will need to get your CC grades reported on your high school transcript. But if you are taking a full load of classes at your high school and thus the CC classes are just for “enrichment,” you can have the CC send a transcript directly to your colleges. If you’re not exactly sure what you should be doing about this, consult your guidance counselor.

Thanks for the reply. I’m actually only taking 3 classes at the high school level, but taking 5 at CC. These classes are not really for credit per se because I have already fulfilled graduation requirements. However, they have kind of “replaced” some of my high school classes, such as taking Statistics and Calculus C senior year at CC instead of taking just AP Statistics at high school. Out of the 5 classes I’m taking, I would say 3 replaced classes I would otherwise take on the high school level, and 2 are enrichment, but most likely none of them will be added to the high school transcript.

Would taking a variety of classes at community college and earning good grades in those count as “extenuating circumstances” that excuse 3 B’s in high school?

Thanks for the help.

Hello. I was recently admitted to UCR, but am worried that my admission may be rescinded. I had already met my A-G requirements by the end of my junior year, however, I took AP Calculus AB and AP Statistics this year and received a D in my AP Calculus course. The provisions of acceptance on the UCR website said that I must not earn grades lower than a C, and if I did, to notify the admissions office. My UC GPA on my application was a 3.16. My GPA last semester, including the D in AP Calculus, was a 3.2. I was accepted to UCR despite the 1 or 2 D’s I had received in the past, one of which I made up through summer school. My high SAT score most likely helped them to overlook some of my weaker grades. My schools runs on the semester system, so there are 2 FINAL semester grades for each year. One for first semester and one for second semester. Overall my first semester grades were as follows:

D - AP Calculus AB
C - AP Statistics
B - English
B - AP Macroeconomics
A - AP Psychology

Even with the D, my GPA was actually higher than the GPA on my application. (3.2 vs 3.16)
After notifying the admissions office and being redirected to my assigned admissions counselor, I received the following response:
“Your admission could be in jeopardy. We will not be able to make a decision until all grades are received and reviewed and you must receive all C’s or better senior year in A-G courses.”

What does he mean by “COULD be in jeopardy”? I really wish they were able to give a more direct and straightforward response. What is your opinion on what is going to happen to my admission status? Is there anything you recommend doing besides earning better grades this second semester? I will ensure that I meet their provisions of acceptance this semester. Do you think doing well on the AP Calculus AB exam will help? I really do not want to end up SIRing to UCR only to find out in July that I have been rescinded. Do you have any kind of insight regarding whether or not I will be able to keep my admissions? What does your crystal ball say? Thank you very much for your time.

You need to get your guidance counselor to lobby on your behalf, pointing out that the course you did poorly in was “extra” and very challenging … that you’d already met your a-g requirements with appropriate grades. Your counselor should also point out that your GPA is actually higher now than when you applied.

I don’t think that a strong AP exam score will make any difference. College folks can actually be LESS impressed when a student does well on an exam but poorly in the corresponding class. This can make it seem as if the student didn’t make an effort in class, didn’t turn in assignments, etc.

If you really did work hard in AP Calculus and your teacher is aware of your efforts, it wouldn’t hurt to ask him or her to send a letter to UCR discussing your efforts and pointing out that you challenged yourself with a very rigorous class that was beyond what you were expected to take and noting that you could have easily taken a less demanding class and thus you shouldn’t be penalized for aiming high, given that you’d already satisfied your a-g requirements.

With support from your counselor and, hopefully, your teacher, you will probably be okay at UCR but you need to go out on a limb as I’ve suggested to make this happen. Good luck!

Hello! I have applied to NYU-Poly RD, and haven’t heard back yet. I have just received my grades thus far for each quarter. Instead of finals, we have something called quarterlies, which is essentially just a test at the end of every marking period. The first and third quarterly count for 4% of our final grade each, and the second and fourth quarterly count for 6% of our final grade. (Although, the 2nd and 4th quarterlies only test information taught in the 2nd and 4th marking period.) The quarterlies won’t be integrated into our GPA until the end of the year. This is the first year our school has instituted this system.

These are my grades for the first marking period. In my two other unlisted art courses I got A’s on quarterlies and as a marking period grade. (the ones on the left are my marking period grades, and the ones on the right are the quarterly grades)

AP English - B+ / B+
AP Calculus BC - B / A-
AP Comp Sci A - A / B+
AP Physics - B+ / B-

These are my grades for the second marking period. (again, the ones on the left are my marking period grades, and the ones on the right are the quarterly)

AP English - A / A-
AP Calculus BC - B / B-
AP Comp Sci A - A / F
AP Physics - A- / C-

As you can see, my marking period grades mostly improved (with the exception of Calculus) or stayed at an A. However, I didn’t fare as well for my Comp Sci or Physics quarterlies (even though my grade in Physics had improved). My guidance counselor told me that colleges would be seeing both marking period grades and quarterly grades on the mid-term reports. Do you think the quarterly grades would cause a rejection? Thank you so much, this has been worrying me for ages.

Hi,

I am still wondering in regards to my question above, would a plethora of community college courses with high grades count as ‘extenuating circumstances’ that might excuse say a low 3 GPA?

Thanks I would really appreciate your insight.

@lose3teeth‌–I wouldn’t say that “extenuating circumstances” is the right term, but admission officials will appreciate the fact that you challenged yourself with college classes and took a somewhat non-traditional approach to your education. This will work in your favor but, if you’ve already been admitted to an Ivy and your high school grades have all dropped from A’s to B’s, you may hear about it. However, given that your course load is top-heavy with CC classes, you’ll probably just end up with some sort of warning … if anything.

@goldfishson‌-Colleges will be far more concerned with your actual class grades and not your exam scores. BUT, given that you failed one exam (yet still got an A in the course) and didn’t do especially well on a couple others, admission committee members are likely to wonder, “What’s going on with this kid? Is there some sort of melt-down in progress that hasn’t been reflected in the report card grades yet but is still in the making?”

So if you have a reason why your exam grades slipped so noticeably, I suggest that you be proactive and write to admission officials and say, “I had the flu that week” or “My grandma died” or “I had to work extra shifts at my job” or whatever the (valid) reason is, if there is one.

I was recently admitted into the university of maryland when i applied my grades were all A’s if my senior year average dropped to B should I be worried about rescindment. Its AP calculus and AP chem that is bringing my average down.

@nytigers11‌ --I see that your senior average is a B, but what was your lowest grade on your mid-term report card? Did you get a D or F in either of your tough classes? Even if you did, it’s just a mid-term grade and shouldn’t affect your acceptance. A final grade might be a different story … or not … but hopefully it won’t come to that.

Thanks, and I have one final question, is it true that even one “C” can get a student rescinded from an Ivy, or is the overall average GPA all that matters?