When Do Colleges Rescind Acceptances?

@lose3teeth‌ - I don’t see any college rescinding for one “C.” Depending on the Big Picture, a student with a “C” who is ordinarily a top-performer might get a warning letter but, if the rest of the grades are strong, even that is unlikely.

Hi i got accepted into UF and i was afraid hearing about colleges revoking acceptance.
I got 3 Cs in 3/4 of my AP class ( AP Spanish lit was the only A) for my first semester and i was wondering can UF revoke for that? I had a family emergency(my brother is epileptic and it was a mess last year).

I plan on trying to raising my grades this semester so I hope it will help.

Should I be worry? If I call and talk to the admission office, will I be ok?

@bamtan‌ - You should be okay but do try to get at least a couple of those C’s up to B’s this semester.

Hi Ms. Sally @Sally_Rubenstone
I was accepted to Bentley University EA but am getting worried because of my 1st semester grades (all shown unweighted below):
-75 in both AP Literature, and BC Calculus
-81 in Honors Physics
-84 in AP Stats
-90s in P.E./Health and Chinese
My GPA when I applied/got accepted was a 96.891 weighted, and the overall bump my high school gives is 10% for all APs and honors.

Will Bentley send me a warning/ rescind my acceptance based on what shows up on my mid-year report (which I’m still unsure if I have to send being an EA applicant)?
Thanks so much!

@hellofromNJ‌ -You might get a warning letter but don’t have the mid-year report sent unless it’s requested, and get those grades up by the end of the second semester, if you can. You have a rigorous course load and the admission folks will be aware of this, but if you could push at least one of those C’s into B territory, your slip in GPA probably will most likely go unnoticed.

Hi,

I have a few questions regarding this topic and since you have been so helpful I thought this would be the place to ask.

Theoretically, if I “fail” an AP test could that cause me to be rescinded? Furthermore, I listed the AP test for a topic I was going to self study on the Common App, but instead self studied for another topic that I would rather have college credit for. If I don’t take AP En Sci which I listed on the Common App, and take AP Euro, is that a change I have to report to colleges? Or is it fine if I don’t send them anything.

Finally, I had one question regarding “warning letters” that tell the students to bring their grades up. I am wondering when a student would receive one, because don’t schools only see your second semester grades once final grades are sent in? So if the grades are already final, how would they receive a warning letter telling them that their grades are slipping too much?

Thanks.

@lose3teeth‌ Colleges don’t see AP tests unless you send them. At this point if you’re a senior it does not matter what scores you get on May’s AP administration because you only need to do well on them if you’re seeking credit.

@lose3teeth‌ - As you already saw, colleges only see AP results if you submit them. Ordinarily I tell students to notify colleges if they don’t plan to take any AP exams that they listed on their applications. But given that you seem to be switching to a more rigorous AP exam from a less rigorous one, I doubt that anyone at any college will care about … or even notice … this change. So don’t worry about sending an update.

Re the warning letters: These aren’t really “warnings” because, as you’ve pointed out, they usually come AFTER graduation, so what they’re really saying is, “We see that you screwed up at the end of your senior year. We’re not very happy about this though we’re not going to rescind your acceptance. However, we WILL keep an eye on you when you matriculate in the fall to make sure that the downward trend doesn’t continue.”

However, some accepted seniors may get warning letters NOW, in the wake of mid-year grades, and these are truly warnings. I have never known a college to rescind an acceptance based on mid-year grades (when these are not final grades) but a significant slide at the end of semester 1 may lead to a warning.

Last year a girl at my daughter’s school was accepted ED to Yale, after which she was caught cheating. Wasn’t the school obligated to report the cheating episode to Yale? Assuming they did, I’m surprised Yale did not rescind her acceptance (the girl is currently a freshman there). I lost respect for all parties involved, the student who cheated, the high school, and Yale.

Thanks for your response. Knowing that colleges only see results you SUBMIT, can I just choose not to take some of the exams I listed that I would take on the Common Application?

My reasoning for not taking them is my mom does not like the cost. And furthermore, I think I would want to take the classes anyways in college, regardless of whether or not I got AP credit, so I don’t think it’s really worthwhile.

Would simply not taking some of the courses and not notifying the colleges be an appropriate action?

Hello,

I am currently awaiting admissions decisions from the UCs and am wondering what the effects of withdrawing a class (Anatomy and Physiology) would have on my admissions status. In all my other senior year courses so far I have received As or Bs, but due to the immense amount of time I devote to extracurricular activities (after school music for several hours) and a recent bout of illness, I have not been able to handle the load of this course. (my other 2nd semester classes are AP Lit, Pre-Calc, and Orchestra – all on a 4x4 schedule).

If I were to withdraw the Anat/Phys class (thus placing a W on my transcript), should I wait till after I receive admission results to notify the schools of this withdrawal or should I notify them immediately? I figure that since the schools won’t know exactly when I withdrew the class, telling them after my admission offers wouldn’t hurt (and also my application wouldn’t be viewed less positively in the selection process). Am I wrong in this assumption?

Also, on the UC application, were W’s supposed to be reported? (as there was no option in the drop down menus for them) If so, should I contact the admissions offices as soon as possible to report the W I received (in 11th grade)?

Last question: Is it necessary that I take all the AP tests that I stated I was planning to take on the UC application? Is it better to just do all the tests (no matter what the result) rather than have to notify the schools that I decided to not take one or more of these tests? (AP Lit, AP Gov, AP Econ).

Thanks!

If the cheating did not result in expulsion, and she was punished by the HS, it was up to the HS to notify Yale, and Yale to decide if they care.

Although I am completely against cheating, I’ll assume you don’t know the exact details enough to judge her being caught cheating as enough to rescind her Yale acceptance. Let the professionals and people who investigated the case decide, not gossip.

@johndoejanedoe‌ -You should notify your colleges as soon as you withdraw. If you notify them post-acceptance (or if they find out later, when reviewing your final transcript), the universities could penalize you for your lack of full disclosure. If you haven’t decided for sure yet if you plan to withdraw, you might want to contact your admission rep at your top choice schools and ask what impact the decision might have on your acceptance. If you already have a strong background in sciences, the answer may be “No impact at all” but, on the other hand, the admission folks may feel that dropping this class will make your final semester seem too light when compared to the classes that your “competitor” applicants are taking.

Re bailing out on AP tests: When a student has indicated on an application that s/he plans to take an AP exam and then decides against it, I think it’s appropriate to notify the college that you have changed your mind. But note that I say “college” and not “collegeS” because, by the time AP tests are administered, most students have already selected a college. While I do feel that students should notify this one college after changing plans, it’s not really necessary, just a courtesy. Colleges do care about the final grade you got in your AP classes but not about the scores on your exams (unless you’re seeking credit or any kind of acceleration or advanced standing… in which case you must send official score reports).

OK that’s what I will do, I already know now that I will not be taking the exams, but after I get into a school I will let the college know that I am not planning to take them. So I can be assured that I won’t have to give a long explanation or my application won’t be rescinded for me not taking these exams listed on the Common App?

@lose3teeth‌ - If cost is a key reason why you won’t take the AP tests, you should mention this to your college when you write. Most admission officials are very sympathetic to students who are concerned about the high price of AP exams, so it’s worthwhile to explain in your brief note that the price tag was an obstacle for you.

@Sally_Rubenstone‌ I am taking all AP’s (6 AP’s) this semester and at this point am a little worried that two of my classes may drop down to C’s. I have had no circumstances so far that have caused this drop, but I did have a flu that forced me to miss a week of school in January. The rest of my AP’s should be A’s, with possibly one B. what do you think the chances of being rescinded from the top schools are if those two AP’s end up as C’s? be as brutally honest as possible. thank you so much for your time, we all really appreciate the comprehensive answers you provide for us students during our time of need.

Also, I should note that I got all A’s in these six AP’s the first semester, so will colleges factor that in during their decision? thanks again.

@OnlyYesterday‌ - You should be fine with 2 C’s given your heavy load. If you get a warning letter at the end of the school year, you can write back and explain the impact of having the flu in January. While the college folks certainly don’t like to see all A’s plummet to include 2 C’s, they rarely do anything about it beyond sending a warning letter that is really more of a 'We Noticed" letter than an actual warning.

@Sally_Rubenstone‌ excuse me if I’m asking a question that has already been asked. How does it look if I’ve been getting all A’s (except 1 B first sem), and I drop to half A’s, half B’s? I’m asking specifically for a top 10 school.

@openguy- Since this is a thread about RESCINDED acceptances, I assume you’ve already been admitted to your “top 10” school. If that’s the case, you have nothing to fear.

However, when students have NOT been accepted yet, a drop from 1 B to several B’s on the MID-YEAR report (not the final one) might make a difference for applicants to the more selective schools, especially for the applicants who were borderline to begin with (and, at the MOST selective institutions, pretty much everyone is borderline!).