When Do Colleges Rescind Acceptances?

@marbel11 -As far as I know, UNC will not rescind for the D if the rest of your grades are A’s but I’m not 100 percent sure. Colleges can be fussy about D’s. You ought to contact them to find out. Never assume that making this contact will call attention to a situation that the college would otherwise overlook because they won’t.

@fiatutia -The biotech class wasn’t one that you needed for your a-g courses was it? If not, you ought to be okay but it’s borderline. You might want to check with the school, especially because the class you’re getting the D in is tied to your prospective major. Your current GPA is lower than the one you applied with but not by a lot. I THINK you’ll be fine but I can’t say for sure.

Hi, I am an incoming freshman at UCSD, but I withdrew an online class at a community college before my decision came out, so my transcript has a W. What are my chances of getting rescinded?

Hi, I’m currently panicking because I got into a liberal arts college ED and my grades have been slipping. My grades are currently all good, but I may end with a C+ in AP Chemistry because of the final exam. Could they rescind my offer because of this? Also, if I get a couple of B’s could they also rescind my offer? I was accepted with a C+ in math & biology, but did have an A for all other humanities based courses.

@LeftBlank-It really depends on the class you dropped. If it was one of your more rigorous classes, then you could get your acceptance rescinded. Colleges do not like to see final transcripts that differ from the listing of classes on the application. But if the class you dropped was not a required a-g class and dropping it didn’t significantly lighten the rigor of your schedule, then you should be okay.

@canadiannewbie -Sounds like you’ll be okay, even with the C+ in AP Chem and a couple of B’s.

I don’t know if you could help me answer this or not but any advice would be awesome. I am a community college student that is supposed to be transferring to UVA and my GPA was a 3.4 when I applied which under the Guaranteed admission agreement is the minimum a student must have. I had a bad last semester due to procrastination and being lazy. My final grades were C, B,A,A,A and a dreaded “F” in my statistics class. A “C” in science was bad enough but now I have the worst grade imaginable, an “F” in a core class. My grades were all As last semester so it is a significant drop. Uva says they want an explanation to why my grades dropped. The honest truth its a mix of being lazy due to my last semester and the math class was hard. So do you believe they’ll rescind me since I didn’t pass my math class or could taking it under the summer help. Also they want a letter explaining what happen, what do I say and I am supposed to supposed to speak to one of the Dean’s tomorrow, what do I say to plea my case to stay at the university? My final gpa dropped to a measly 3.25.

@Alcast -You may have an uphill battle ahead. I suggest that you explain that you were out of your league in the stats class and put too much time into trying to salvage your grade there so that, even though you weren’t able to do so, your other classes suffered. Mention that you have learned from your mistake and offer to re-take stats over the summer and also science, as needed. (If it weren’t for the F in stats, I don’t think that the C in science would be a big deal.) But be apologetic as well as pro-active. Emphasize what you’ve learned from this experience and offer to not only attend summer school but also to start the fall semester on academic probation. Maybe if you prove that you’re really ready to buckle down in the fall, you’ll be okay. Good luck,

@Sally_Rubenstone Hello Sally, I’m currently in an American based international school and was admitted by NYU. I submitted my ACT and TOEFL examination scores but never my IB predicted grades. So I was wondering if I should send my real exam scores to NYU because I feel like it’s going to be bad, like maybe a 1 or a 2 in math SL. On common app I indicate that I’m going for the IB diploma but I never gave them any scores from IB for them to consider, so I was wondering if they would care if in the end if I don’t send them my IB scores. And, if I do have to send in my scores, would a low score hurt my case and get my offer withdrawn? Thank you for your help!

@Sally_Rubenstone Hello Sally, I’m currently in an American based international school and was admitted by NYU. I submitted my ACT and TOEFL examination scores but never my IB predicted grades. So I was wondering if I should send my real exam scores to NYU because I feel like it’s going to be bad, like maybe a 1 or a 2 in math SL. On common app I indicate that I’m going for the IB diploma but I never gave them any scores from IB for them to consider, so I was wondering if they would care if in the end if I don’t send them my IB scores. And, if I do have to send in my scores, would a low score hurt my case and get my offer withdrawn? Thank you for your help!

@kevincleverlu -If NYU doesn’t request scores, you don’t have to send them. Since you are in an American school overseas, I am guessing that:

1. You have a guidance counselor
  2. You probably will receive final grades in your classes in addition to your IB exam results

If you DO get receive final grades, then your counselor will be expected to submit a transcript with these grades to NYU when the school year ends. Presumably, your grades will be decent, even if you flubbed the SL Math test (right??)

It’s POSSIBLE that NYU will ask for your IB exam results but not likely, especially given that they never requested your predicted exam scores.

Will only your SL Math score be low? Will the rest of the exam scores be high enough so you’ll get your IB diploma?

Again, NYU will probably not ask about the tests, but if you do well in the other sections and get the IB diploma, that will put you in a strong position if the university does ask for exam results. Good luck!

Hi Sally, I’m back again. I was recently admitted off of UCSC’s waitlist! I talked to my AP Lit teacher and asked if he can change my grade last semester to a C, and he fortunately did comply to my request. I also might pass his class with B this semester. The problem is…that I’m still failing calculus. I’m afraid I might have a D grade this semester. But Calculus is not part of the A-G requirements plus I do not need calculus for my major at Santa Cruz. Will UCSC still rescind me?

Hopefully this hasn’t been asked already in the 60 pages of this thread, and if it has, sorry for the repeat.
On my application, I listed the AP exams I was planning on taking (stats, chem, euro, gov, macro econ, lit) at the time of writing the app, but I ended up changing my plans later (changed euro to micro econ, and then decided against attending the micro exam). I ended up being accepted, but will taking a different set of exams than I said I was going to take get me rescinded? If so, what can I do?

Hey Sally, or anyone that can offer insight to my problem! I’ve been wondering if colleges rescind admissions based off of semester grades, or finalized grades. I received an 88 in Genetics/Biotech. for semester 1, and an 84 during term 3. Currently, my grade in term 4 might be a D, but hopefully a C if my remaining grades are good. All my other grades are similar to my first semester so no worries there. In my worst case scenario, actually ending up with a D or D- in term 4, my finalized grade would come out to be around ~78-81. From some research, BU seems to be okay with grades that don’t drop below a C. So my question is basically: Do colleges care about a dip in the overall grade, or if they see a dip during a term? I hope that one term doesn’t completely jeopardize my admission at BU; super worried and confused!

Hi! Last semester I had 2 Bs, this semester, I am retaining one of the Bs while the other one drops to a C. Would getting one C cause me to get rescinded?

Do you know if University of Washington’s Seattle policy of anything above a 2.70 for senior year is by semester grades or whole year cumulative? Also, would have Ds and Bs look worse or the same as having C’s if they are both around 2.70 (theoretical question).

Maybe a little OT, but one of my friends that will be going to MIT next year showed me an email where admissions threatened to rescind him because he had gone from an A to a B+ in his dual-enrollment multivariable calculus class. That was pretty shocking imo.

@sdn0219 -I found this UCSC Web page: http://admissions.ucsc.edu/apply/conditions-faq.html Unfortunately, you will see here that an acceptance will be rescinded for ANY grade below C, even if it’s you’ve met your a-g requirements with other classes. The UC schools tend to be pretty tough with their rules, but it still can’t hurt to try to appeal your decision. Better yet, do everything you can to pull your calc grade up to a C- Then you’ll be okay.

@slover --I’m not clear if you took different CLASSES than you listed on your application or if your class schedule didn’t change but your EXAM plans did. If the latter, you should be fine. But if you actually took different classes, you MIGHT be in trouble. Colleges don’t like it when students pull a switcheroo after submitting their course roster on an application. AP Euro is usually considered a more rigorous class than any AP Econ, so if you dropped Euro in favor of Econ, you might make the admission folks unhappy. My best guess (which is merely a guess) is that they won’t be SO unhappy that they’ll rescind your acceptance. But you better contact them to see what’s up if you did indeed drop a class that you claimed on your application that you were taking.

@bustudent2020 -Colleges only care about FINAL grades and won’t penalize you for a dip in a single quarter. The exception, of course, would be if a student were to totally crash and burn in the last quarter … like if a straight-A student got all D’s and F’s (or otherwise horrible grades, even if not that bad) in every class in the final quarter. The college folks would see a big flag and wonder what was up.

Keep in mind, however, that most colleges NEVER SEE THE QUARTER GRADES. The typical high school only puts the final grade on the transcript. So check with your guidance office if you’re not sure how your school’s transcripts are configured. But I bet they include only the final grade, so you should be okay.