When Do Colleges Rescind Acceptances?

Hello,
I may end up with a C in A.P. Macroeconomics. It is an A.P. class and first semester I only had a B. Do you think this grade alone could end up in a college rescinding their admission? The rest of my grades are stellar.

@nicolas23-No, I don’t think this grade alone will cause a problem. But, with a B in the first semester, do you mean that the C would be your final grade or just your second-semester grade? If the latter, wouldn’t you get a slightly higher final grade?

My school has a 2 semester grading system so I had a B first semester (which is now final). I currently have a C and it will probably remain in the C range…

@nicolas23 -You will still be fine with one C and “stellar” everything else.

@Sally_Rubenstone I was recently accepted to schools like Carleton College, UNC Chapel Hill…and I wanted to know if dropping my average from A to A- would cause the rescission of my admission offer. The reason behind this drop is that I am taking 5 AP exams around the same time as the final exams.

@serwar473 -. A “slide” from an A average to A- doesn’t count as a slide at all. You’ll be fine. Congratulations on your acceptances

Hello! I was conditionally accepted into Cornell. What does this entail? I was accepted with a 3.8 weighted average after encountering adversity sophomore year and last semester (positive grade trend until last semester). Last semester I received a 3.8 weighted (2 A’s, 1 B, and 2 C’s). This semester with continuing adversity (family issues) I have 2 As and 3 Cs (with one C on the verge of a B… a 3.8 weighted GPA). Will Cornell rescind my acceptance?

Thank you so much @Sally_Rubenstone !

@gocornell2 -I don’t know what your conditional acceptance said. Were you given specific terms, such as an expected GPA?

My best guess–given the little I know-- is that the Cornell folks are aware of the adversity in your home life and realize that you were a “high risk admit.” But, given that they know this already and that you don’t have any grades below C, you’ll probably be okay. Even so, I urge you to contact your Cornell admissions rep and explain the ongoing problems at home and their impact on your grades. Good luck.

@Sally_Rubenstone I am a student who was admitted into UVA. Up until my senior year of high school, I have had all As and only a B and a B plus. The first semester of my senior year which consists of one regular class and 5 APs, I had 2 As, one A-, one B+, one B, and one B-.

I have a D currently in AP Calculus as I have been struggling and might, at worst,finish the year with final grades of: one A, one A-, two B+s, one B-, and a C-. Will this be enough to get a warning letter or even possibly a revoked admission to the school. I have been working hard to fix my grades but when it came down to it, it was just because I failed my AP calc test. I have been really stressed out as UVA is the school that I want to attend. Thank you.

@StressedaboutUVA -I can rarely know for sure what an admission office will do about declines in grades. But, from where I sit, you will not get your admission rescinded if your grades are what you’ve just projected. You probably won’t get even a warning letter either, though the letter itself is not a big deal if you are prepared to explain that you were the victim of an overly ambitious work load and not of slacking.

@Sally_Rubenstone Thank you very much! I just want to know, by receiving these final grades, would any financial aid or scholarships be in jeapordy of being taken back or reduced?

@Sally_Rubenstone Sorry for bothering you but this is the last question. Although a C- will be my yearly average for AP calculus, will I be in trouble if my second semester grade for the class is a D? My grade in that class for the first semester was a B- average. Will UVA only be interested in the final grade or will that drop off in AP calculus in the second semester be significant enough to get me into trouble. It is the only class that I will have a C or lower in. Thank you very much!

@StressedaboutUVA -What does your school send to colleges? If you don’t know, you need to ask your guidance counselor. Many high schools give colleges only a FINAL transcript that includes only FINAL grades. So if this is YOUR school’s policy, UVA would see the C- and not the D. If UVA is going to see the D, you should write to your regional rep NOW to explain the downturn and list any measures you have taken to keep afloat (extra help, tutoring, etc.)

These situations are typically resolved on a case-by-case basis, so if you are proactive and can prove you weren’t slacking, you should be okay and your acceptance–and aid–shouldn’t be in jepardy.

@StressedaboutUVA I was accepted to UC Berkeley at the end of March. I had a 4.0 in high school until my first semester of senior year. My gpa dropped below a 3.0 that semester with a D in my advanced math class (I took calculus my junior year). I notified admissions by letter in February and told them that I had been going through some very bad health issues that made it difficult to focus in class. They didn’t reply to the letter but I did get in with an acceptance. If I bring my grades back up to at least a 3.0 will I be okay and not get rescinded? When would they tell me if I did happen to get rescinded? and would I be able to give a written statement stating the reasons of my poor grades? Thanks

@PinstripeQ -As always, I can’t speak for the colleges with 100 percent certainty, but it seems to me that, if you were admitted to Cal with a “D” already on your record (which you explained) and you have a 3.0 or better when you graduate, you should be fine.

Also, it’s not clear to me if that “D” in advanced math is a FINAL grade in a course or just a SEMESTER grade. If it’s the latter, and you pull it up to a C or more, it shouldn’t be a problem.

Typically UC schools review transcripts in July, so–if that’s the case at Cal–you’d hear by the end of July if there’s a problem with your grades. And if there IS, you’ll be asked to justify it before the rug is pulled out from under you.

But, again, if you were admitted AFTER the admission folks knew about your drop in math, I don’t think you’ll be in hot water.

Hi @Sally_Rubenstone Do AP exam scores factor into rescission? For example, would a school send a warning letter for a 1 or 2 on an exam? My kid’s school now makes students in AP course take the exam; the new policy dictates stripping the transcript of the AP designation if the student does not take exam. My kid is only going to study for one of them; he doesn’t think he would do well enough to earn college credit on the others. I told him to just take it and not worry about the result. Am I right to think AP exams have nothing to do with rescission? He doesn’t even have to send the results, correct? Thank you.

hi @Sally_Rubenstone I was recently accepted to Dartmouth. For the first semester of senior year, I took four aps and two electives, all my grades were in the A range except a C+ (79) in BC Calculus. This semester I should end with a 80 in BC Calc but may possibly also end in the 80-85 range for AP Stas. The rest of my grades will range from A- to As. Considering that I dropped from 96 to a 80 in Stats, am I in danger of a warning letter or rescission? Thank you!!

@buzzbee … I think you should be fine.

@binky17-Ordinarily colleges do not have to see AP exam results but there are some colleges that tell their admitted applicants that the test results are expected. It will vary from college to college. Moreover, when a student has reported on an application that he or she WILL take the AP test and then doesn’t, the counselor may note the omitted test on the final School Report and the college folks MIGHT question this. So if your son isn’t going to take an exam that he claimed in the winter that he was going to take, he might want to contact the college and ask if this is acceptable. He might want to claim cost as the reason, since the tests are so pricey.

Bottom line: Skipping an AP test or doing poorly will usually not impact admission verdicts but it can SOMETIMES.