When Do Colleges Rescind Acceptances?

Hi @Sally_Rubenstone I was recently accepted as a transfer to the university of miami. However last semester I failed one of my programming classes and when I sent my updated transcripts, the university asked for an explanation of my performance. I have replied and explained that my father had lost his job and that he was battling cancer as well. It was a difficult time but I assured them I would bounce back, I’m very nervous about getting my admissions rescinded and was wondering what you think would occur in a situation like this?

@bosmia27-Was the programming class connected to your major? If so, it’s possible that you will lose your acceptance in spite of the hardships at home. College officials tend to be more forgiving of high school students who get poor grades due to family problems then they are of college students. They typically expect college students to figure out how to handle these tough situations … either by withdrawing from a class when the tide is turning against them or by making special arrangements with the professor during office hours to help stay afloat.

But, on the other hand, I’m sure that the admission folks will be sympathetic to your homefront stress, and they are probably reviewing your case right now, possibly in conjunction with the computer science department … if the class you failed was in comp sci and that is your major. They will also be looking at the failed class in the context of your overall record.

So I think your verdict could go either way. If you have documentation proving that your dad lost his job and is fighting cancer, it would be helpful to send it right away, if you haven’t done so already.

Good luck to you and to your father.

Thanks @Sally_Rubenstone for the reply. The comp sci class isn’t directly related to my major (I’m a civil engineer) it was more so just a class I took out of interest. I received an e-mail reply yesterday that merely said “Thanks” after the explanation I had sent. Does this mean I’m in the clear??

@bosmia27 - I can’t read between the lines here. My best guess is that your situation is now being reviewed and that the “Thanks” doesn’t translate to “You’re all set.” It’s merely acknowledging the receipt of your explanation. But I really can’t tell.

But the fact that the comp sci class isn’t directly related to your major should work in your favor. Keep me posted when you hear more (and if you DON’T hear anything by the end of next week, you should feel free to contact the university again).

Hi @Sally_Rubenstone so I e-mailed them back and asked if there was anything I could do or anything I should know, and I received a response saying the my file was complete. What do you make of this?

@bosmia27 -Same answer as yesterday. I can’t tell. A “complete file” may simply mean that you don’t need to send any more information and the admission staff will proceed with your review soon. OR … it could be a vague way of saying, “We won’t be making any changes and your status is secure.” I’d vote for the first, but it could be either one. Wait a week or so and then, if you hear nothing, ask for a clarification.

Colleges really hate to rescind acceptances and to lose committed students, even when it’s their own doing. So my best guess is that you’ll squeak through. But I can’t say at this point if U. of Miami has already tacitly told you that you’re fine or if there is still a review pending.

@Sally_Rubenstone I have a question! I am scheduled to be attending California State University, Fresno this Fall; but I just received an email from the admissions office informing me that I have not met the English requirements. It states I have less than 8 semesters of High School English. My final transcript is going under review with the admissions commitee, and they decide either to revoke or sustain my admission.

I know I have completed 8 semesters, as that was a graduation requirement and I have graduated. I did not do well my first semester of freshman English, but I did attend summer classes to make up for the credits not made beforehand. I had even spoken to guidance counselors and was told the summer classes should not be an issue–and make up for the entire semester.

I have replied to the University, and have not recieved a reply.
I am getting very worried that my admission may be revoked, even after I have paid for/ attended orientation, as well as paid for/ currently attending a class at the university.

Is it likely the University will revoke my admission?

@shellbee5 -From what you’ve said here, it sounds like you’ve fulfilled your English requirement, and it’s possible that officials at CSU misread your transcript and didn’t realize that you’d made up your first semester of freshman English in summer school.

However, since this apparent mistake has been made, it’s up to YOU to stay on top of the situation until it’s straightened out. Call AND email the admission office on Monday to check on your status. Also contact your high school guidance counselor if s/he is at work next week and ask your counselor to contact CSU to make sure that the confusion has been cleared up. If your guidance counselor is away but the school guidance office is open, ask if another counselor can make the call on your behalf.

My best guess is that your acceptance will NOT be revoked but keep in contact with CSU until this has been confirmed.

hi so my story is much different
I am a student who follows the British curriculum
I did 7 O levels, Bio A, Maths A, Human Bio A, Physics A, Chem A, Arabic A, English A
and for AS levels I got a predicted A for Arabic, A for Bio, A for Chem and A for Maths

However, when my grades came out I was surprised to find out that I got 2C’s and 2 A’s.The C’s were for Bio and Chem.

I got an 8 in IELTS and scored 680 in SATs the math section.

I was offered a conditional offer in Qatar University medical school.What are the chances of my offer getting rescinded and what to do in order to minimise these chances as much as possible my father is considering hiding my grades is this the right thing to do?

@meero998 -Sorry, but I know nothing about medical admission policies at Qatar University. You should contact the university directly to ask. If you don’t want to identify yourself during this fact-finding mission, have a friend (etc.) call there to ask about a theoretical student in your situation to see what the reply is. I’m guessing you’ll be fine but, as noted above, it’s no more than a guess.

Hi sorry to bother. I just got into Gtown Ea and I’m really concerned about my acceptance being rescinded. My junior year gpa was a 3.7 and I had all A’s except for my physics and Engineering classes which were a B+. However this year I might get a C for Ap Bio, a B/B+ for AP Comp sci, and AP Calc is looking hard so it’ll be either a A-/B+ this year first semester. I know that the obvious solution is to take the opportunity to work harder on my studies and try to get them up second semester. But for my own peace and mind what are the chances that I will get rescinded with those grades? Thank you!

@Jingli888 -I don’t think you’ll get rescinded for those grades you’ve listed, but do your best not to dip any lower. College folks at the “elite” level tend to be a lot more tolerant of one C than of two, and they don’t want all your A’s to turn into B’s or even B+'s. So do what you have to do to stay on track.

Your answer was really helpful to me. Just as a side note-does Gtown or any college in general put more emphasis on weighted gpa or unweighted gpa? Even after applying for so many schools, it’s been the one thing I’m still confused about. Thanks again.

My son goes to high school in India. He has been accepted to quite a few universities and offered scholarships based on his 9th, 10th and 11th grade transcripts. However, in his senior year his Physics grade might be a failing grade in his school exam because of very strict marking standards followed by the school. In India, high school graduation is determined by a final public exam which is conducted by a national board, and not the school. All students have to pass this exam in order to go to college. He is expected to do well in that exam. When the school sends in his final transcript to the university of his choice, it will reflect the grades received in the school exam as well as the grades received in the public exam. Will the university consider the public exam grade only or both? In other words, is there a possibility his offer might get rescinded because of his physics grade in a school exam, even if he does well in Physics in the public exam and becomes a high school graduate?

@PiyaliK -I really can’t give you a definitive answer. If your son does well in the public exam, I think he should be fine, but each college sets its own policies. How do you expect your son to do on the OTHER school exams besides physics?

@Sally_Rubenstone - The school is very strict in grading exams and marks deflation is a common practice, especially in 11th and 12th grade. So for the other subjects (in his school exams) his marks will be passing grade and better, but not exceptionally good. But he will do well in the 12th Board exam, which is the deciding exam in India for graduating from high school and getting into universities.

To give you a reference on how strict their school is, his school exam average for 10th grade was 77%, whereas for his 10th grade Board exam he scored 96%.

I have an 80 in a CP class. I’m probably getting rescinded, aren’t i?

(My weighted GPA is actually at the highest it’s ever been…but this one class…)

@jerseygirl188 -Nah. Even the Ivies wouldn’t rescind for one B- … especially when the rest of the GPA has gone up.

Thank you so much!! I feel so relieved haha.

@PiyaliK -I would be out on a limb trying to assess you son’s chances of having his acceptances rescinded. I don’t have enough information about his past performances nor about the colleges that accepted him and their policies. If these colleges have admitted students from your son’s school in the past, then they should have records that report the same tough standards and the same sort of grade deflation in 11th and 12th grades that you’ve described. But if your son is the only applicant to these colleges in recent history, then he would be wise to write a letter to his colleges explaining the grading norms in his school and emphasizing the significance of the national exam. Although, in theory, admission staff are supposed to educate themselves on the differences among school systems–including international systems–this is done better in some admission offices than in others.