When Do The Early Desicion Results Get Sent?

<p>Yes, they sent an e-mail on Monday saying that we would receive an e-mail on Thursday with notification. None so far. I think my daughter should call the Admissions office from school today with her guidance counselor there. I thought maybe the e-mail got kicked back because I have too much in my Inbox. But I deleted probably 100 e-mails last night.</p>

<p>Do you think that they only send out the acceptances and deferrals via e-mail and only send out the rejections by snail mail?</p>

<p>I got my email yesterday.</p>

<p>BJ----in? If so, Congratulations</p>

<p>My D got in!! She's thrilled! WE got the e-mail a day late. Now she has to wait to hear if she gets into Colgate ED II. Of course, if she does, she goes there. If not, I think it will be CC. I support her either way - they're both very good schools (different too!).</p>

<p>congrats to your daughter. just out of curiosity, what did she like about colgate? I looked at it and it was way to isolated (part of why CC was great) and very jockish, how many times has she looked at the schools? what won her over?</p>

<p>Yay! Congrats to your daughter Peacemaker. Let us know whether or not she gets into Colgate. </p>

<p>I got my package in the mail on Friday (a day after the email). There was a really nice handwritten note about one of my supplemental essays saying maybe I can make my proposed block a reality. The person who signs the bottom of the acceptance letters also put a little note on mine next to his signature that said "Christie - come west!". I thought that was really nice of them. I'm pretty sure I'm going to CC, I'm just gonna wait and hear from my regular decision schools and go from there.</p>

<p>Thanks sky and peaceout! </p>

<p>Sky - My D is being recruited by the track coach and yes Colgate is jockish and my D is a jock (she plays a varsity sport every season - a big part of her life) so that doesn't turn her off. She has seen both schools only once. I think having a really cool professor helping to give the info session won her over at Colgate plus having someone interested in her track abilities. She loved the atmosphere at both but now she is agonizing about where she should go. She thinks now that she will feel more herself at CC than Colgate but she feels sortof guilty if she withdrew her Colgate application. She is really unsure.</p>

<p>peaceout - My D also got a handwritten note that was complimentary of her essay and encouraging! She loves this school. How cool and personal is this?? I love it! </p>

<p>I really truly believe that she will do well at either place. Sky - since you have seen both places (don't know if the others have), can you give us your argument for CC (besides Colgate's isolative area which I don't think bothers my D b/c she is convinced that they bring in a lot of entertainment and educational opportunities). She plans to major in economic math/ business at CC. Colgate has economic math also. She likes languages and wants to do an abroad trip at some point also. Are you or peaceout at all worried about the block plan with some subjects?</p>

<p>Peacemaker- I just spent 45 minutes typing a message in response to your last post. When I went to post it, it bounced me and didn't post it. I really want you to read what I wrote, but am WAY to frustrated to retype it right now. I'll do it sometime tomorrow.</p>

<p>Peacemaker--maybe I can help you out a little. I saw both schools as well and chose CC. In fact, I did a spring tour last year and Colgate was one of the only NESCAC schools I wasn't interested in, especially afte I visited Hamilton earlier in the same day. I chose CC b/c of the block plan first, Colorado second, and the most welcoming campus third...just look at the notes on admissions letters.<br>
I went last summer I went out and took a block, to make sure I liked it..and I did. They also offer over 700 adjunct classes a year that you don't have to take for credit and they might meet for an hour one or two afternoons a week. They help you stay on top of interests or prep you for an upcoming block. FOr example, if you're taking an advanced language class in your sophomore yr...but didn't take language since HS--you can take an adjunct (like brush-up type class) the block before the real classs just to get comfortable with the language again. I think they really care about you learning.
The last thing I will say is that I felt like the student body at Colgate seemed more homogeneous. Just seemed like a big boarding school to me w/o alot of variety in style. CC seemed just the opposite...can't really pin point it, but CC'ers seemd more like individuals..that when put together, make for a really cool environment. Hope this helps.</p>

<p>Peacemaker-</p>

<p>Don’t get me wrong, Colgate is a great school, I just didn’t find it to be the best place for me. It’s nothing personal at all. (Great convo though)</p>

<p>Not to beat a dead horse, but when I visited Colgate (after going to Hamilton) I just felt so isolated that there was no way the location could not affect my experience. Anyway, when I arrived at Colgate, I had an Info Session and tour. (I liked the tour guide and info session people, so I don’t think that influenced my decision). As we began out on the tour, the campus was beautiful. Also, there were tons of kids outside playing and hanging out. However, I immediately noticed how homogenous, rich, and stereotypical the school was for being another top LAC in the northeast. As we continued on the tour, everything seemed very formal. Students weren’t really smiling, especially not at the tours, and everything seemed rather staged. I would consider myself pretty athletic (not a jock like your D though), and it seemed like that’s ALL that the students’ lives revolved around. (Note that I visited Colgate only once and did 2 visits to CC including an overnight).</p>

<p>I went to CC for open house on Columbus Day and then did my overnight at the end of November. It was a very dark and gloomy day, so Pikes Peak wasn’t there to bias me about the gorgeousness (is that a word?) of the campus. What immediately struck me was the warmth that was exerted from the campus. Considering it is much smaller than any of the other rural top LACs in the northeast, about 100 acres instead of places like Skidmore and Hamilton which were upwards of 1100, I enjoyed the downtown area. I have a feeling you probably got a sense of it, but in case you didn’t, picture downtown area similar to that of Bowdoin, Williams, or Skidmore but a little larger. </p>

<p>It sounds like your daughter and I have a lot in common. I also want to study Business. This was a selling point for this school. For a while, I thought I’d have to take the business route and looked seriously at Bentley and Babson. None of the other LACs I looked at in the northeast like Bates, Bowdoin, Colby, Dartmouth, Middlebury, UVM, Trinity, Hobart and William Smith, and Skidmore offered anything other than Econ except CC and Skidmore (WAY artsy). I verified in my interview that it was Econ + Business and they explained it was just that. Back to the class, there was a guest lecturer on a business he had started and sold (a CC alum). After giving an intro about myself, he spoke for a while. The real shocker to me came during the break. 8 kids came up to me and started telling me about all their fantastic experiences at CC and how great it was. I tried to interrogate them a little bit and among their top reasons for choosing CC were the following: 1. “The people” 2. “The feeling while they were there visiting” 3. “The location.” I gathered that all of them were enjoying their experiences and I realized at that point I really couldn’t go wrong with CC for those reasons. There’s something for everyone to do, you’re in a great location with great people. I also knew CC was best for me when a kid from C. Springs I was talking to was accepted to Cornell and CC but chose CC instead because of the great type of people that go there. This proved to me the campus is truly full of enthusiastic kids who want to be at that school.</p>

<p>A little later on, I went on the tour and was immediately struck by the number of kids yelling “Come to CC, it’s great! You’ll love it!” (Or something to that effect). The campus was comfortable, people were enjoying themselves and the school passed my “stupid test” where I stand in a really prominent place on campus with a map and a glazed look on my face and time how long it took for someone to ask for help. At some schools it was a few minutes but at CC it was only about 30 seconds before anyone offered help. </p>

<p>With regard to the Block Plan, that’s probably what I’m most excited about. In high school I’ve always been in tons of ECs and carried a nearly 100% full schedule. I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve said, “I wish could be doing just one of these.” An acquaintance of mine who’s at CC from my high school on a full ride for neurosci says she can’t imagine doing such difficult classes and having to juggle several at once. (If you think about it, 3 hours of class with a break or two really isn’t all that bad, although I’m not sure about the classes with labs in the afternoon. Either way, the kids said the classes were pretty manageable). Anyhow, this girl was the one that convinced me to look at CC in the first place when she wrote me a 3+ page email explaining how great the school is. (IM me: Snowskier2007 and I’ll send it to you). With foreign languages, I’m like your daughter. I want to minor in Spanish but was worried I would forget content over periods of up to a year. Language majors at the school said there are enrichment classes you can take on the side that meet once a week. Also, there are language houses so you can stay sharp. CC is top for study abroad opportunities with more than half going at some point and one of the highest placement rates in the Peace Corps. </p>

<p>To hit a few other important points, the kids were saying that CC spends big money to bring in stuff to do as well as educational enrichments since C. Springs is far from a major city. One of the other weird tests I did on all my college visits was drive through the parking lot to see where all the license plates on the kids’ cars were from. CC proved to have the most variety (probably because the 3 biggest states they draw their students from are Colorado, Minnesota and CT). Meanwhile, they draw kids from every part of the country. I didn’t feel like other schools in the northeast offered that. Besides, when else will you have the chance to live in Colorado? Nowhere (New York) is always waiting. </p>

<p>In summary, one of the reviews I read said that the students who attend CC are smart, outdoorsy, good looking and outgoing. This was exactly the kind of school I wanted so the fact it was in the Rockies and on the cool schedule made it my clear #1.</p>

<p>If I were your daughter, I would convert my ED application at Colgate to RD since she doesn’t know that it would be the BEST place for her. Even if she doesn’t end up at CC, second visits to schools can make a huge difference in a positive or negative light. Now’s the time to do it while she still can, but that’s just me.</p>

<p>If anyone thinks I missed anything, please add on. Otherwise, keep the convo going and feel free to IM me for that letter, it really is impressive.</p>

<p>Will</p>

<p>Sky - I had the same experience - just wrote a oong response and then they wouldn't take it b/c I had to hit the refresh button!! Well anyway, thank you for your impressions and observations. I truly appreciate this and also from flyboy.</p>

<p>I will send another later after I walk the dog!</p>

<p>I think sky007 said it best when he/she mentioned that people choose CC because of the other people. Like the Colgate crew, I think they are interested in being at an excellent LAC but they are buying into the environment and it still happens to have great reputation and ranking. There aren't many kids who can say they went to a top LAC in the Rockies since CC is one of a kind in that section of the country. I think of CC as an elite LAC with an edge. It seems to attract people who are smart w/o the attitude, proud, yet humble, and they all seem to value the gift of being there. The only problem will be four years from now and we have to move on. Good luck..and I agree, I woudl change the Colgate application to RD if your daughter is still up in the air about where she will be happiest.</p>

<p>
[quote]
In fact, I did a spring tour last year and Colgate was one of the only NESCAC schools I wasn't interested in, especially afte I visited Hamilton earlier in the same day.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>flyboy, Colgate isn't a NESCAC school. It has Division I sports. All NESCAC schools are Div III.</p>

<p>you're right, arcadia...other than that it has the same feel as the NESCAC schools. Unlike the NESCAC schools, CC has two Division I sports as well, another good point you reminded me of.</p>

<p>hey guys, i thought i would jump into your discussion. being kind of bored over vacation and missing cc tremendously, i found this thread through a google search and decided to make an account (i swear, not everyone at cc is this much of a nerd). sky007, you did a phenomenal job discussing the merits of CC considering you don't even go there yet! i thought i could expand on what you wrote from my experience this past semester.</p>

<p>let me just start by saying, i was dead-set on going to amherst college. the same weekend i heard back from them, i visited CC for one of the april admitted student weekends. i literally stepped on campus, and my decision was made: there was absolutely no where else i would rather be. amherst was suddenly old news.</p>

<p>i think some pretty important ways that cc trumps any more-traditional colleges, especially east coast schools, are:</p>

<p>1) the block plan. it's been said before, i'm gonna say it again: this is an extremely dynamic way to learn. the block plan is particularly good for discussions, which have the ability to become extremely in-depth due to the amount of time. it's also so great to have everyone on the same schedule when you're making plans with your friends. </p>

<p>2) block breaks (an extension of #1, but it truely deserves its own spot). how awesome is it to tell your friends from home "oh you've got a test on friday? good luck. i'll be on vacation skiing/mountain biking/rock climbing/[insert any number of cool activities here]"? the correct answer is pretty ****ing awesome, that's what.</p>

<p>3) location. colorado is the sunniest state, and apparently, the only one with snow. where are my friends from other colleges on both the east and west coasts coming for their spring break? to visit me. i really cannot emphasize enough how much you will love it here if you either ski or snowboard. there's a five-mountain season pass that you can get that gives you access to the vail resorts (vail, beaver creek, breckenridge, keystone, a-basin), which costs around $300. it is so so sweet. i have been skiing out in colorado since october. OCTOBER! if you don't ski or snowboard, no worries. neither my roomie nor one of my best friends here do, and you know what? they love colorado just the same. there is so much to do here from hiking to biking to rock climbing to camping to kayaking...etc. colorado springs actually has a fair amount going on. like someone said earlier, not a major city, but it's got it's charm and is more exciting than any of the towns where all the east coast liberal arts schools i saw were (read: bowdoin, bates, amherst, skidmore, middlebury...).</p>

<p>4) the people. i'm from boston and i was so relieved to get out to colorado. people at cc are smart and laid-back, a dynamic i felt was all too uncommon back home. i also love how active everyone is here. it's such a positive atmosphere. </p>

<p>5) hockey. i was never into hockey before i came to cc, but then someone persuaded me to buy season tickets and i was hooked. the world arena where cc plays holds thousands of spectators, and many students and c springs residents come out to cheer on the tigers. it's a ton of fun, especially the games against denver (our rival). i would highly recommend going to one if you visit this winter.</p>

<p>cc has absolutely changed my life...in less than 6 months. i'm so excited for what the next 3.5 years will bring, and i can't recommend this place enough. i'm beyond happy here (seeing as i googled it during my vacation, read all your posts, and made an account so i could post myself). you WILL have an amazing time if you decide come here, and if you already are, get pysched. after telling all of my friends from home about it, cc became the school everyone wished they had applied to. sorry this is so long and college broshure-esque, but i thought you guys might appretiate a first-hand account. if you have any questions feel free to drop me an email (<a href="mailto:elisabeth.bullock@coloradocollege.edu">elisabeth.bullock@coloradocollege.edu</a>) or IM (liz71688). best of luck on the rest of the college process, hope to see you next year!</p>

<p>wow... I am even MORE excited now and looking forward to next year! i'll definitely be IMing you liz, and you will definitely be seeing me next year.</p>

<p>thanks!</p>

<p>To all of you who got in - are any of you planning on going to either of the open house dates? I'm thinking about going to the first one (around April 5th I believe). Do you think it would be worth it so fly all the way from CT for one weekend?</p>

<p>The open houses aren't on weekends, they are on Thursdays/Fridays. Tentative schedules are posted at: <a href="http://www.coloradocollege.edu/admission/admitted/openhouse.asp%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.coloradocollege.edu/admission/admitted/openhouse.asp&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>My son is planning to attend (even though he was accpeted ED and his decision has been already made) since he has heard that the admitted student days are great fun. But we live in Colorado, so it was an easy choice to participate.</p>

<p>Oh wow I totally knew they weren't on weekends, don't know why I wrote that haha. I would have to miss school, so I'm wondering if it would be worth it or not. I got in early action, so I still haven't finalized my decision as to whether or not I plan on attending (I'm really really leaning towards it though).</p>

<p>Peaceout--if you haven't visited, then you almost have to go to make sure you're making the best choice for the next four years. I went to CC for a summer session last year and was accepted ED...but I am still going to the open house even though it means flying from Chicago...just to meet some of my potential friends. This is supposed to be an awesome intro to life at CC....don't miss it.</p>