When is Rush for the boys?

<p>I have a parent who’s wondering.</p>

<p>Formal recruitment is the first few weeks of the fall semester. Informal recruitment happens all during the summer and into the fall. I read on a Bama Bound report here in the past few days that someone’s son was offered in a bid then and there.</p>

<p>The Greek Affairs site has more info: [Greek</a> Affairs](<a href=“http://greekaffairs.ua.edu/news.cfm?p=2#716]Greek”>http://greekaffairs.ua.edu/news.cfm?p=2#716)</p>

<p>Right now. Most houses have given out all of their bids for the fall before the semester even begis, unfortunately. We learned this the hard way and it is a completely different animal than the process for the ladies. </p>

<p>If you are OOS it is especially hard because some houses have events during the summer I am still not sure how an incoming freshman would ever know about. I suspect this may be by design, and it was disappointing for as I was a legacy to a national fraternity that has a chapter on campus and it didnt help my son much and is probably a big factor in why he ultimately decided to remain independent and pursue a different track in housing instead.</p>

<p>Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2</p>

<p>My son and 3 others were offered bids on the last day of BamaBound. He’s still considering his options.</p>

<p>My son contacted the rush chairmen for several houses in early spring last year. He received invites to spring and summer events and went down (we live in the Chicago burbs) to attend events three times. He received a bid at Bama Bound. </p>

<p>Roll tide 90, my husband is a lifelong member of his national fraternity and even though he and my son contacted the president and the rush chair at his house they didn’t reach out to our son. My husband is still upset that his fraternity didn’t follow through and was less than impressed with their table at Greek Preview weekend. </p>

<p>PM me if you want info on his fraternity. I think they still have spots in the house.</p>

<p>Lovemykids2: Thank you, that was kind of you. (We are from IL also, btw)</p>

<p>As is often the case, things have a funny way of working themselves out. My S is currently on campus this summer as an RA for Early College and is taking 2 classes. He will be an RA for the next school year as well, so I don’t see how he would have the time to pledge now even if he wanted to. Truth be told, I think he has kinda moved on from it.</p>

<p>There were two houses he was extremely interested in being a part of, one of which was my own. I wish he could experience the brotherhood that I did during my college years, and all the experiences I had as being a part of it, but I think that his chosen path is equally valuable as he is now networking and building relationships in a different manner, some of which may ultimately prove to be more valuable on his resume, conflict resolution skills, etc.</p>

<p>The houses that are giving/have already given out all their bids are missing out on a great group of kids coming in. I talk to friends of kids at other schools and they are shocked at the way UA handles the bid process. I hope my son has some luck, but being out of state is a major disadvantage and ultimately the Greek system at Bama and the university suffer the loss. If he doesn’t get “integrated” into the system I think he might be a “one and done”. Possibly considering pledging his sophomore year, but not sure if that is any better.</p>

<p>Rush is pretty much year round- I got invited to rush parties during late October of last year and know people that got offered/ accepted bids as early as April</p>

<p>I wouldn’t agree that “Rush is pretty much year round”. That is misleading. Most houses give out bids in the spring/summer prior to the upcoming Fall term for incoming freshmen. Most do not have pledge-ship in the spring either. This is not to say you cannot socialize with them and attend functions, but if you “sit out” the Fall term either by choice or because you were not aware of the process, you could wait as long as the following Fall to officially get started with the formal process with many houses. Again, not the case with every house, but it is for a good many of them.</p>