Where are we moving from and to?

But Grand Junction has an airport with flights daily to Denver or SLC (or Vegas, and maybe even to California cities). I live in Denver and it is still 26 miles to the airport from my house.

1 Like

There can definitely be charms to using regional airport (rather than the long drive car route I envisioned Grand Junction ā€”> Denver DIA big airport). Best case we are about 45 minutes to USAirport long term parking, and then another 45 minutes of shuttle ride and getting through security and riding the train and walking to the gate. Worst case lots longer, and you gotta leave enough buffer for worst case. Sometimes we land at a smaller airport destination with a sigh of relief over the easier logistics. Having said that, we do like the easy availability of direct flights.

1 Like

Deleted :slight_smile:

Ugh. I havenā€™t been to NH in a very long time. Is the negative partisanship the main issue? It seems like NH is a slight lean blue place, depending on where exactly you are Iā€™m sure. I think in a different time I may have been a New England type Republican, which I think is somewhat of an extinct species. I had friends who lived there when I lived in NY, so we went up to see them a few times. Now that Iā€™m thinking about it, probably some of the reasons it appealed to me was similarities to my rural upbringing. Which has been an indicator of places that have had a major political shift lately.

Ok, thereā€™s one that has been completely off of my radar. Iā€™ve been to Philly a few times but havenā€™t spent any real time there. I am assuming thatā€™s basically suburbian Philadelphia, right? I have toured Haverford with one D and Bryn Mawr with another, that was a cute area but Iā€™m assuming out of my price range.

@Colorado_mom @twoinanddone I have one of those types of airports near me now. When itā€™s good, itā€™s really convenient. I can literally park 100 feet from the door, which is probably less than 50 feet from where I check my bag. In and out of the airport is easier than in and out of Walmart.

But you are usually looking at EVERY flight going to the same airport. So if I want to head to the East Coast, my flight starts still starts by flying west. And I had a connectiing flight change by a small amount this spring, but that meant my new flight involved a 10 hour layover because I couldnā€™t make that connection and had to wait for the next one. There have been times our flights have been super reliable, and times they get canceled on a very frequent basis. The ā€œnewā€ safety rules about regional pilots has made regional airports much less functional and less attractive.

1 Like

@dadof4kids - there are pockets of blue (example: Portsmouth) in NH, but overall pretty rural and red.

2 Likes

For anyone else who has this (red or blue) as a factor in their search, I find this map useful. And also fascinating. Iā€™ve looked at my home state and been pretty surprised at the degree of partisanship (both ways) in some areas. It actually makes me think that I may be able to stay in this state if I was willing to relocate to the other side. Although Iā€™m in one of those places that looks like it should be fairly evenly split, but since one party controls the districting our political representation is pretty lopsided and not representative. So maybe not.

When I looked at NH, the 2 cities my friends were in were Keene and Concord, so I would fit in politically at least there. But like I said, it was 20+ years since I have been there. Definitely I wouldnā€™t make that type of a move without spending a lot more time researching the area.

Iā€™m not quite this far yet, but I have a job where I could probably do a month long Airbnb as a trial run, and my wife could as well if we did it during the summer. I think if possible that is a good idea. It still isnā€™t the same as moving, but you get some time to experience some of the good and bad that comes with actually living somewhere, as opposed to a long weekend or even a week that is more ā€œvacationā€ and less ā€œwhat is it going to be like to actually live here?ā€

4 Likes

Thanks for that link @dadof4kids.

NH has gotten very expensive as well. We are looking and havenā€™t found anything less than $650k. And weā€™re looking for a modest size home.

4 Likes

I love that map. I donā€™t understand, however, why some states (like Virginia, Louisiana, Alabama, Missouri, and Kentucky) donā€™t have data on it.

It looks like itā€™s done by voting precinct. So I wonder if those states donā€™t release that information at that granular of a level. That was my guess anyway.

1 Like

Ugh. Although everywhere seems to have gotten very expensive. Iā€™m guessing if I listed my house at double what I paid 10 years ago it would probably sell. Iā€™ve put a decent amount into it, but thatā€™s still a big increase. And weā€™re in a part of the country that has not experienced the big jumps!

Is there any place that isnā€™t true though?

When I reread that that i sound combative which was not my intent. Itā€™s actually legitimate question. I wold love to find one.

Iā€™ve lived most of my life around moderate Republicans. That works for me. And thatā€™s where I lived up until 6ā€“7 years ago. I havenā€™t moved, but they have. If I could wind back the clock I would stay here. I actually really like where I live and donā€™t want to move. But I just canā€™t handle the viterol anymore and I know my girls refuse to live here mainly for that reason.

3 Likes

@taverngirl depends on where in NH. In areas further north, there are plenty of nicer homes that are far below the amount you are talking about.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s a new politics subforum if you want to discuss politics, but please keep it out if this thread

4 Likes

Freedom, NH or Ossipee, NHā€“both places have homes on Lake Ossipeeā€“is a beautiful spot. Homes here are less pricey, in general, than other areas of NH. Plus, there homes at various price points. My youngest child went to camp in Freedom for years; she was also a counselor and a group leader. My D would have stayed there forever if she could.

3 Likes

You may be right. I want to be near decent hospitals and not too far from the rest of New England. My search is definitely in the southern half of the state.

1 Like

I was going to suggest western Massachusetts or Vermont for both @anxiousmom and @dadof4kids. I donā€™t know where the school systems are good ā€“ I suspect in Amherst and Northampton but I donā€™t know. Massachusetts schools in general are highly ranked in the nation. There is one highly regarded hospital in that area (Cooley Dickenson) and you are 1.5 to 2 hours from Mass General/Brigham and Womenā€™s/Beth Israel/Dana Farber/Boston Childrens ā€¦ .

In Vermont, I was thinking of Montpelier or maybe Burlington (very pretty but farther away from Boston). If Iā€™m not mistaken, UVM medical school and its teaching hospital is in Burlington. Quality of life in the nice spots in VT seems very good there if you donā€™t mind winter.

Southern NH real estate prices have gotten a big boost because of a) proximity to jobs in Boston; and b) no state income taxes. I suspect Southern NH is probably blue-ish and some northern parts of the state probably red-ish (confirmed by your map). Very high property taxes partially offset the lack of income tax.

I donā€™t know Maine well, but the Portland area seems very nice. Others (@thumper1? may know where there are good schools).

3 Likes

@taverngirl, my wife was at a stoneyard in Nashua, NH and commented to me on now nice the area she visited was. Nashua is only 1 hour from Boston (not at rush hour). By Boston suburb price levels, Nashuaā€™s prices donā€™t seem too high.

Brattleboro VT is 2 hours 10 minutes according to Google Maps, but is not that far from Cooley Dickinson.

Also, somewhat further north in NH, Dartmouth has a good medical school and hospital. So Hanover (which is pricier) or White River Junction / Lebanon areas might be worth investigating. We have friends who live in Hanover and seem quite happy there.

1 Like