Which CSU is best for music?

I plan to do a dual degree with a B.S. in computer science and a B.M. in music performance (percussion). My safety schools are CSU Long Beach and CSU Fullerton. If I get into both, which is best for music? I have heard good things about both. But I also know that the CSULB campus is not so great.

For classical music, I would definitely recommend CSULB over CSF. For jazz, still CSULB or CSU Northridge. Not sure what your hesitation is regarding the Long Beach campus. It has nice performance venues and practice rooms. Parking is usually the biggest complaint.

2 Likes

Agree with @anotheroboemom.
Niece is at LB and loves it!
Parking is a bear, so patience will definitely be a virtue to possess.

1 Like

Are you only interested in SoCal? San Jose State is excellent for CS and also has a great music program, with both BM and BA options.

Combining a BM with a computer science BS is going to be a lot - BM programs are quite intense and don’t have much elective time to devote to a second degree. If you haven’t read the oft-recommended “Double Degree Dilemma” article, that would be a good place to start: Double Degree Dilemma essay (written by David Lane)

2 Likes

A double major is not a given at any of the CSU’s especially if they are in unrelated departments. I assume you are applying as a Music major vs. CS?

Double majoring requires prior approval. You may have the option to double major at CSULB if you can complete your requirements within your expected graduation term. Check with your advisor for details.

As for campus, it is a personal choice but I think there is no contest between Long Beach and Fullerton. Long Beach wins out easily.

Best of luck.

1 Like