Which nursing program is better?

<p>I have been accepted from a few places and am wondering which one in your own opinion was the best nursing program. Below are the schools i have been accepted from:</p>

<ol>
<li>UVM</li>
<li>UMaine</li>
<li>Purdue</li>
<li>UConn (but my first year i would have to be at avery point and then be automatically transfered to storrs my soph. year)</li>
</ol>

<p>

If you are assured a place in the UConn nursing program…I would take it. Unless of course skiing is important to you, then you might want to consider UVM.</p>

<p>Which state are you a resident of, if any? The programs you mention are all reputable programs, but if cost is a factor you should go with whichever one is an in-state school. If money is not a concern, I would go with UMich because it is an amazing nursing school that is part of the awesome culture of the University of Michigan (I’m heavily biased in that UMich is where I will likely be enrolling for nursing school, but to do so I will be turning down schools like Pitt and Northeastern)</p>

<p>^^^
Michigan wasn’t one of the choices of where she has already been accepted. Are you suggesting that she can still apply to UM?</p>

<p>Yikes. I misread “UMaine” as UMich. She could still apply to UMich (past their equal consideration deadline but there might still be spots left), but UVM’s program is excellent. I would take UVM and not deal with the hassle of transferring to UConn.</p>

<p>UMaine is still on D’s top 5 list…:confused:</p>

<p>Eastern Maine Medical is not a bad clinical option at all. Have heard good things about the program from some folks in the medical profession throughout New England.
We visited the campus and were pleasantly surprised.</p>

<p>Here’s the thing about nursing school…(I am a nurse…out of school for about 3 1/2 years now)</p>

<p>You get your basics at school…but so much of your learning comes after you get out of school.</p>

<p>I went to a good school that held most of its clinicals at a very good hospital system in our area. Therefore, I was exposed to some disease processes that I might not seen at another hospital. My school was affiliated with the hospital.</p>

<p>Some hospitals won’t hire you now unless you have a bachelor degree in nursing so of course I recommend that…but my past boss had only an assoiciate degree as does my niece and she has done very well…as I said, after you get out of school you do most of your learning.</p>

<p>I believe the school I attended did help me get a position at the hospital where I did my clinicals, which is a very respected hospital…and I was hired back into the hospital system recently after being gone for a couple of years…so look and see where the school does it’s clinicals…would she want to work there afterwards?</p>

<p>Of course after she gets some experience she could transfer to another hospital…but the first job is pretty crucial…kind of sets the tone for your career…that’s what I was told in school…and unfortunately…I didn’t listen well enough (found it in my notes later)…so my start in nursing was a bit rough</p>

<p>If she can manage it…I highly recommend that she work as a tech while in school…I is rough but people do it and manage…I did not and because of it came out of school and had no real hospital experience (just the little you get in clinicals) and was overwhelmed on a very difficult neuro floor…If I had worked during school I would have known the units better and hospital routine…</p>

<p>Good luck…Look for the clinical experience she would want…reasonable costs…as long as it is a decent school I don’t think it makes that much difference</p>

<p>I suggest UConn for it’s fine academics. ^_^</p>

<p>smart.cookie,</p>

<p>Have you made your final decision about UMich’s Nursing School? I’m a current student there and would love answering any questions you may have!</p>