Which Nursing Program?

<p>My d has been accepted to the following Nursing programs: URI, Sacred Heart U, Duquesne, and Catholic U. Duquesne and Catholic have given her $$$. </p>

<p>We are still waiting to hear from Fairfield, Quinnipiac, U Delaware. She was deferred EA to James Madison (not direct entry).</p>

<p>She did want a big school, but was not accepted to the nursing programs at UConn, UNH and UMass Amherst.</p>

<p>Any thoughts?</p>

<p>Having visited most of the programs and schools listed,with the exception of JMU,we most liked Quinnipiac,Fairfield,U Del,and dusquense…also received merit from dusquense,but after visiting Pitt,decided Duq wasn’t for her…tough because the merit aid was significant,but is happily attending Villanova…best of luck</p>

<p>All of the Programs you listed are good for Nursing. Catholic U. in fact has one of the most highly rated (in the top 40) Nursing Programs in the country. My D was accepted there on EA with a great merit Sch. but decided to attend the Univ. of Delaware, which also has a great Nursing Program. UD is large school but has a small college feel to it. Best of luck to your D. My D graduated last summer from UD and was able to land a highly competive entry level RN position at New York Presbyterian/Cornell Medical Center in NYC on Cornell’s Neurological ICU.</p>

<p>There are many colleges that are Catholic, and others that are really really really Catholic. As you might expect, my understanding is that Catholic University is as Catholic as they come. That may or may not be good, depending upon your own perspectives. Also, take a close look at that neighborhood.</p>

<p>Someone mentioned last year that Catholic U’s nursing program is on probation. You should check that out. As for the neighborhood, it’s not Georgetown or Dupont Circle, but it’s fine and right on the Metro Red Line.</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/nursing-major/818059-nursing-schools-13.html#post10001139[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/nursing-major/818059-nursing-schools-13.html#post10001139&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>The only school on your list that I visited is Sacred Heart. It was nice, but seemed a little dominated by that huge parking lot. It also has a lot of Division 1 athletes, and I wonder if that’s where their merit aid goes. Still, we know a girl who graduated from their program, loved it, and had no problem finding a job afterwards.</p>

<p>Thanks for the info. U Delaware is her first choice, but the nursing major is a reach for her. Does anyone know if it is possible to transfer into the Nursing major at UDel if she gets
accepted as “undecided”?</p>

<p>Sorry but the chances of transferring into the UDel Nursing Program from another major (or undecided) is extremely, extremely small. My D said there were only a few transfer students into the Nursing Program each year she was there (she even said that some students who applied for transfer with nearly 4.0 GPA’s at Udel were not accepted). I suspect that this is probably the case at all high quality direct entry Nursing Programs as most programs only have a small number of students and the drop out rate is extremely small. I would not recommend that any applicant to these high quality programs apply to another major or undecided with the goal of transferring into the nursing major later as they are unfortunately likely to be very disappointed. </p>

<p>I did check the CCNE website (Accreditiation body for Collegiate Nursing Programs) and it did list Catholic University as fully accedited for both BSN and MSN Programs.</p>

<p>Catholic is not in a good area of town. my D attends another univerisity in Dc and i always tell her not to visit her friends there. She should have them visit her!</p>

<p>sorry to bring up an old thread, but what was your D’s gpa/sat score?</p>