Which of these schools would you suggest for nursing? (Northeast)

<p>I might be considering a major in nursing (I am currently a senior now) and I wanted to hear any opinions on the schools I have been looking at:</p>

<p>-Fairfield University</p>

<p>-Sacred Heart University</p>

<p>-Quinnipiac University (bothers me that there is no shuttle to North Haven Campus- which is where classes would be starting junior year)</p>

<p>-Villanova University</p>

<p>-Suny schools (I think Binghamton and Stony Brook have programs but I don't know too much about them)</p>

<p>-University of Scranton (I heard the surrounding area was kinda sketchy though)</p>

<p>I am open of course to other suggestions, preferably in the Northeast, and any insight into these schools listed above would be great! </p>

<p>I am a little undecided right now, but I was thinking about either nursing, or occupational or physical therapy</p>

<p>The Programs you listed all have well regarded Nursing Programs. You might also want to have a look the the University of Delaware in Newark, DE. In addition to an excellent Nursing Program Delaware also has a top-notch pre-Physical Therapy Program. Its Graduate Program in Physical Therapy is ranked 2nd in the country and I’m sure this quality filters down to the associated undergraduate degrees (i.e. exercise science, etc.) that are pre-Physical Therapy in nature. Research involvement is encouraged and available. Delaware could satisfy all of your areas of interest. Best wishes to you.</p>

<p>I would also reccomend looking at Umass Amherst and UNH. A friend of mine goes to Sacred Heart Nursing and loves it. My cousin goes to Quinipiac and has taken a shuttle to New Haven many times. All the programs you mentioned are good, although I don’t know much about SUNY or U of Scranton. Best of luck!</p>

<p>oh and URI for sure</p>

<p>Villanova is a great school, but they are not great for financial aid. They also have a housing shortage, with many freshman living in triples. Unless you are wealthy, or are offered really great aid, it is not worth paying $55,000 a year for a nursing degree when there are many high quality less expensive options. Villanova also is very very white, except for the athletes. A major plus is having access on campus to light rail and commuter rail to reach Center City Philadelphia and most of the hospitals and other colleges in the region. Villlanova’s nursing school building is only a few years old.</p>

<p>I believe U. of Scranton is overpriced for a non-selective college. Even their housing and food is much more expensive than comparable colleges. There are some problem areas to the east of the campus, but most students travel west to the downtown. There are 3 hospitals within walking distance. Each have had a recent change of ownership, which should mean they will be upgraded. They have built many new residence halls and a new science building.</p>

<p>I’ve never been to Stonybrook, but when I think of driving to Long Island and Queens, I think of extremely heavy and stressful traffic.</p>

<p>When I think of Binghampton, I think of cold weather.</p>

<p>Hi: My daughter is currently in her second year at Penn nursing, It is a great program and they have wonderful financial aid. It was cheaper to send her to Penn than it was to Philly. Also her clincals are mostly right on campus. </p>

<p>Northeastern in Boston is another great nursing program. It has a coop program which is a great source for jobs upon graduation. They also have a PT program so that if you want to switch you could do that without having to change schools.</p>

<p>BC has a wonderful program but not very generous with their financial aid.</p>

<p>My daughter has a friend that is in her second year at Sacred Heart in their nursing program and she is very happy there.</p>

<p>[Colleges</a> That Claim to Meet Full Financial Need - US News and World Report](<a href=“http://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/paying-for-college/articles/2012/02/16/colleges-that-claim-to-meet-full-financial-need]Colleges”>http://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/paying-for-college/articles/2012/02/16/colleges-that-claim-to-meet-full-financial-need)</p>

<p>Boston College says they meet 100% of need. However, they probably expect much more to be taken out in loans, etc. than Penn. As of 2 years ago when I last looked, Boston College made it very hard to get AP credit.</p>

<p>Because nursing programs are so time consuming, it is best to go to a school where you can afford it without having to work during the school year. I also suggest a program where hospitals can be reached by walking, bicycling or public transit. The cost of maintaining a reliable car to drive to clinicals can add up. Some schools (particularly in small towns and rural areas) make students drive a couple hours a day to get to clinicals and back. At some schools, it is convenient to carpool and share expenses.</p>

<p>The homepage of this website has a custom google search. Just type in the name of each college and nursing and you will find previous posts about that school.</p>

<p>When you look at the costs of Massachusetts public colleges, make sure you are looking at the total costs including all fees. Massachusetts plays a game where they have low tuition but non-housing fees exceeding $10,000 a year.</p>

<p>Thank you for all the responses! I am trying to figure out which college is best for me, and working through all the application stuff now- </p>

<p>a quick overview of my stats would be 3.86 GPA, 25/164 rank (top 15%), honors and AP classes, SAT 1300/1880, ACT 29</p>

<p>I am trying to do early action for the colleges that offer that option, and I’m hoping to get some financial aid (through need and possibly merit) so that is a factor (its the reason why I took NYU off my list)</p>

<p>I would love to find a college that I didn’t need to necessarily drive to places (I’m not sure if I’ll have a car), and could take a shuttle or carpool or something</p>

<p>I went to an open house for nursing at Fairfield and I really liked it, and I’m hoping I’ll be able to visit UConn soon. I’m going to look more into Northeastern University as well.</p>

<p>I’m also trying to stay within a couple of hours of my house, so Delaware might be a little too far- and also, I think Pittsburgh is 7 or 8 hours away, but thank you for the suggestions! (I use to really like everything about University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, but it’s just too far away for me, and as an OOS applicant I would have no chance of admission anyway) </p>

<p>Thank you, and any more comments are appreciated!</p>

<p>Apply to a range of schools, so you can compare net costs. After you are accepted, each college will invite you to accepted student events where you can get to know the nursing program much better. Many also offer overnight stays in dorms at that time, etc.</p>