Which residence halls do you think are the best?

Hey guys, I’m currently debating as to which residence hall I should choose should I attend UW - Madison (I’m going to be a freshman for the Fall 2018 term). As of now, I’m looking into Dejope Hall only because it’s modern and on the Lakeshore. I don’t necessarily mind the location in terms of if it’s on the Lakshore, however, I am concerned with walking distance to classes. I plan on pursuing the sciences (especially biochem) and will possibly be frequenting the Shain Research Tower and the Biochemistry buildings respectively. Furthermore, I would like to know about your guys’s opinions on the social scene and facilities available at Dejope Hall are any other hall for that matter. Thanks!

Keep in mind, you rank ALL UW dorms on your housing form, and students may get into one of their top 5 or so, but whether a student gets into their top 1 is random and unpredictable because it’s a lottery. If someone has Sellery and Witte 1/2, that is over 2000 students, so chances are good at getting one of those. But with the smaller dorms, it is unpredictable.

First decision is southeast or lakeshore, then rank your choices within that neighborhood. Dejope is new and likely to be many people’s preferred choice.

If a student requests a specific residential learning community, then there is more predictability in the process as that is assigned in advance to a specific dorm. And, if practice remains the same from a few years ago, students who get the living learning community choose their specific room on the hall earlier than regular room draw results come out.

My response is meant to help many students, not just the OP.

You will not necessarily be in the buildings for your major freshman year. Your class load will have many needed intro classes and breadth classes and will be scattered throughout the campus. Even classes in your major may have sections taught in other buildings. This applies to all freshmen (and undergrads- you take a variety of classes all years, unlike grad students). Do not use this as your main criteria. Think of the neighborhood you want to live in. Your parents likely did not just consider closeness to work when they decided where to raise you.

First decide on the atmosphere you want to live in- Lakeshore with trees and grass (and the lake) or Southeast with its more city vibe. The “best” dorm will be in the area you want to spend your time decompressing/living.

Then figure out the building style you like most. All of the dorms keep being updated as facilities- baths, HVAC et al but they all have different layouts and architecture. Old does not mean rundown. Food service may or may not be in a building. Distance to Res Halls fast food places varies as well. You can eat for the same prices in any Res Halls eating place anywhere on campus- you are not restricted to your dorm area. Good food, btw.

Dejope would be closest to Picnic point and walking along the lakeshore. Southeast dorms would be closest to State St. However, you can get to both from any dorm by walking . No matter where you live plan on a lot of walking. Yes there are free campus buses but sometimes it is easier/faster to hoof it.

Look at the info on the Res Halls website. By looking at various parts you get a picture of rooms- eg the lofting guides add info. Do not count on getting the best room in any building. Liz (Waters) is popular with returning students and they get first pick at the rooms. Each dorm has most/least desirable rooms. Every dorm has pros and cons. Some include programs (extra cost)- consider those if they appeal to you.

Some like being able to eat breakfast in their building, others prefer to be close to late night food amenities.

You will need to rank your choices for the (May?) housing lottery. You are not guaranteed your first choice, regardless of when you did your housing application. Be prepared to get a different dorm. You likely will want to rank dorms first in one of the areas- lakeshore or southeast. Every dorm has pros and cons.

The social scene will be determined by the residents each year. Students like you will choose the same dorms over others, with reputations helping decide those choices. Others will know more about this.

No one can tell you what is best. This depends on the individual.