Choosing rooms for housing

If I am applying for housing, but I would only go to two specific houses (Dejope and Smith) if I was going to be in a triple room, and then otherwise I would go in a double in almost any other hall, how can I specify that I only want a triple room in Dejope or Smith?

Are you an incoming freshman or a current freshman?

Incoming freshman

Do you have two specific roommates in mind and that’s why your first choices are those triples?

No, I only wanted to choose them because they were less expensive and in the newer dorms

From the housing website:
“Students interested in a particular room type should list all of the buildings with that particular room type at the top of their preference list.”
So when you go into your housing portal, you would put Dejope and Smith on top of your preference list, though you can probably email/call housing to see if there’s a better way.

It might be difficult for you to get into Dejope or Smith though, since you’re an incoming freshman.

Alright, thanks so much :slight_smile:

Why is it difficult to get into Dejobe for freshmen if they said your choice was computer generated??

DeJope starts filling up because returning students get to choose before incoming freshmen.

Ok, so that means there may only be a few spaces for freshmen. I think he is changing his mind and leaning now toward southeast dorms. I know it is his choice but as a parent, I am a little nervous from reading posts about southeast being just all party dorms and to stay away from Witte and Sellery for this reason. I shared with him that he has to stay focused and not let distractions sidetrack him because there is no one to hold his hand and make that choice but him. He does well and stated that he knows what he has to do. Each year new students attend, so who knows what kind dorm atmosphere it will be until they get to know each other right?

There are many other Lakeshore dorms besides Dejope and Liz Waters that are great places for many students to live. Your son needs to figure out if the high rise city dorms of the southeast area appeal more to him than the lakeshore areas. And, yes every year there is a new cohort of freshmen just like your son. No matter which dorm he is in he will make lifestyle choices. Do not obsess over this.

Leopold is the newest residence hall and it is Lakeshore.

Look at the housing.wisc.edu website to explore.

Chadbourne Residence Hall history lesson (it’s co-ed now):

[Quote]
Chadbourne’s Dubious Honor

In many ways, University of Wisconsin president Paul Chadbourne was an inspiring leader and teacher, helping the university recover and thrive after the Civil War.

However, when it came to education of women, he was notoriously backward-looking, refusing to allow to co-education for men and women.

That’s why, when the school built a new Ladies Hall in 1901, Dean Edward Birge insisted the Hall be named after President Chadbourne. As he said, “I thought it was only fair that Dr. Chadbourne’s contumacy regarding co-education should be punished by attaching his name to a building which turned out [to be] one of the main supports of co-education.”

The original Chadbourne Hall, formerly Ladies Hall, was opened in 1897 but replaced with the current building of the same name in 1957.

Sadly, Dr. Chadbourne died in 1883, so he never suffered this indignity in person.

I’m a current student living in resident halls and the best way would be to mark down that you want a triple room but also emailing the housing office to specify you only want a triple in those two dorms. Also, mark those dorms as your top choices. Just be aware that it is very difficult to get into Dejope or Smith as a freshman due to the fact that most of those rooms get taken by students who are returning.

@blackbeauty66 Keep in mind that SE dorms (and all dorms for that matter) vary in the degree of partying; a dorm like Chad would probably have less partying than Witte or Sellery, but would be more active on weekends than a lot of Lakeshore dorms. If he’s set on SE I would advise him to rank Chad/Chad’s LC and Smith near the top. I honestly wouldn’t recommend Witte (or Sellery which is essentially identical), many people that I’ve talked to have said that the rooms themselves aren’t that nice and the atmosphere can get crazy. Witte does have an unfortunate and amusing (to me) nickname on campus.

However I’m a Lakeshore type person through and through, so my opinions toward Witte/Sellery might be a bit skewed.