Which School should I go?

<p>I have narrowed down my choice between UCLA Nursing and Berkeley pre-med major.</p>

<ul>
<li><p>can I take nursing major and be a nurse for a few years then decide to move on other medical areas? Is this path visible?</p></li>
<li><p>can I take pre-med major and then decide what I want to take from there? After 4 years pre-med major, decide if I want to get a nursing degree or go school of medicine or pharmacy?</p></li>
<li><p>should I take nursing major anyway? In the third year, if I don't like clinic lab, then change to other major? </p></li>
</ul>

<p>Sorry, I am so confused.</p>

<p>The most economic (but most stressful academically) way to address your dilemma would be to go to UCLA and take the additional courses you would need to apply for med/pharmacy school (this probably would require some summer sessions). You could then decide in your Sr. year what you wanted to do.</p>

<p>Alternatively you could go to Berkeley and get your Pre-med degree. If you then decide you really want to go to get your BSN you could then enter an accelerated nursing program and get your BSN in 15-18 months of full time study.</p>

<p>Thirdly you could get your BSN and work for a few years as a nurse. If you then want to go to med/pharmacy school you could then apply for admission (but you probably would still have to take the required courses needed to apply to med/pharmacy school prior to applying).</p>

<p>Fourthly you could attend either school and change your major should you decide you want to major in the other area. However, it probaly would be much more difficult to switch into nursing from pre-med due to fewer spots being available in nursing at most all schools. There probably would be no problem switching from nursing to pre-med at most schools.</p>

<p>Hope this info is helpful.</p>

<p>@mwallen Thank you very much for your input. Yes, I have sent SIR to UCLA Nursing. I appreciate your post. Thanks!</p>

<p>And fifthy (is that a word?), you could get your R.N. and if you feel you still want an advanced role in patient care delivery become a nurse practitioner. It is way shorter than becoming a doctor and since the future of healthcare is going to be so cost driven, nurse practitioners will be in high demand.</p>